Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 2:10:45 PM EDT
I'd like a decent light with remote pressure switch to mount on my AR, but most of the lights I've found from surefire and the like are way too steep for my non-law enforcement/military needs. It's really just for novelty purposes, so I can't bring myself to spend over $100 on it.

Anyway here's what I've found:
Pelican M6 LED $55
Pelican M6 Pressure Switch $15
Bo-Tac Aluminum Flashlight mount $30

I've seen a couple of weapon mount specific lights in the $120 range, but I like the idea of being able to use the Pelican M6 as a regular flashlight too.

Does anyone have anything horrible to say about any component of this setup? Any better ideas?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Surefire G2 - $30

Z32 bezel - $15, as I recall

weaver ring - $8

piece of weaver rail - $5

a few screws.

How to Make a Flashlight Mount

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I won't need to worry about the rail because I've got her in the shop for a 4-rail free float tube right now.

Is there a pressure switch for the G2?

Thanks,  Keep 'em comin'.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Brightflashlights has a tape switch for the G2 that is $25 bucks I think.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]
a good weaponlight is not a novelty. Even an inexpensive one(G2)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with the G2 for sure as an inexpensive weapon light.  I don't see the need for the Z32 bezel because it's just not needed in my opinion.  I've used a G2 mounted on an M16A4 during my time in Iraq and it doesn't have the Z32 and it has worked just fine.  Still have the same bulb.  It's been on there for over 7 months and it's been mounted on the rifle while firing, dropped, knocked into things and it still works just fine.  Obviously, the Z32 can't hurt but I just don't see the need if you are trying to save money.  I'd rather have mounted my M962 but for various reasons I didn't and I was very happy with the G2.  I'd recommend the G2 for cost reasons.  I'm not sure about the tape switch options but you should be able to find something around here.  The TDI mount or the Fobus mount will mount on the rail system and it'll work just fine.  I use the TDI.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll post pics tonight. I've got a G2 in a fobus light mount on the quad rail gas block of my M4. It works, it's cheap and it's reliable. I also have a flip open red light filter on the light. I'm thinking the only other thing I would do is get a bolt on rail for the bottom of the stock handgaurd and mount the light there for a more natural weak hand position.

G2-$24
Mount-$20
Red filter-$11
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, good timing as I just finished putting my light setup on my RRA M4.

First off I want to thank Calvin at "Brightflashlights", he really knows his stuff (and dealt with my Paypal issues!)
From "Brightflashlights" I bought my:
TDI-Arms light holder: $25
ITI polymer rail mount: $14
The Z32: $19

I have an at least 10 year old Surefire 6P that I am using as the actual flashilight, and will be ordering the "non-SF but excellent quality 5" tape/pressure switch assemblies complete with black alum. tailcap that fit the SF G2, 6P, etc. for $24".

All I had to do was drill one hole in my stock M4 handguards (at about the 2 o'clock position), put on the ITI rail (I sanded the polymer a bit to make it easier to put the TDI mount on it), changed the bezel on the 6P, and just put it altogether. Very easy and it works awsome, and will work even better once I add the tape switch to the set up!

Stay safe,  
Chris

Here's some pictures:

(and no the last picture is not a former AR targer, it's from "experimenting" with a neighboring agencies MP-5)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't find any "Brightflashlights" website?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I can't find any "Brightflashlights" website?

Look in the INDUSTRY forum
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Where did you get that mini piece of weaver rail for $5?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Where did you get that mini piece of weaver rail for $5?

Forest bought some.  I think it was at a Dicks or similar sporting goods place.

Only need a 1" long piece for that kind of mount
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I sent you an email MR. Brightlights.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
G2 vs 6P...whats the difference?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
G2 is nitrolon (plastic)
6P is aluminum
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top