Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 7:14:01 PM EDT
I'm strongly considering each of these, but would appreciate input from those who can offer information/feedback. The Laser Devices BLAST looks like a solid package, & I'm considering it both for handgun & long gun applications. Would this unit fit the bill in either category?

The other light of interest is the well known Insight M6X (I did a search, but came up scratch). My biggest concern is that the laser is situated farthest from the bore, relative to the light body, which seems contrary to conventional wisdom. Is there a reason for this (to mitigate the recoil impulse on the laser diode, etc.)?

As always, thanks in advance - MB
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The Laser Devices system is a much more robust package in terms of light output and durability.
The shock isolation and beam quality is at a higher level.  Laser will hold zero.
Remote switches are available.

See Spec Sheet: www.laserdevices.com/pdf/210033C_5.pdf

The Streamlight/Insight Light is smaller package, and the toggle switching is easier to access/activate.  I will put it much lower on the durability scale (both light and laser).  I do know of several departments that have returned this system because they had difficulties with laser holding zero.  This problem may have been rectified, but I am not aware of any specific upgrade to fix.  Maybe somebody else does.  Remote switches are available that will activate the Light Only.

I also regularly end up with M3/M6's in my hand during weapon retention drilling against someone who has the Insight light on their weapon.

Overall, if I had the choice for a Laser/Light combo, I would select the LD system.

We offer both packages through our webstore.

Laser Devices
www.strategosstore.com/sublevmfgprod.asp?0=893&1=896&2=-1&3=949
Feel free to call to ensure we get you the exact mount you want.  The one pictured in your post is an Arms mount, they also have their original mount (NATO 1913 Rail Grabber)
Toll Free: 888-432-7966

StreamLight
www.strategosstore.com/sublevmfgprod.asp?0=893&1=895&2=-1&3=902

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The M6X is new and hardly anyone has it in their hands.  Even though the M6 and M6X look similar they are very different.  The M6X does have many changes to the unit and supposedly better light and laser units.  Time and testing will tell, don't presume that everything that applies to the M6 applies to the M6X.

Ideally, the laser should be as close to the bore as possible somewhere on the verticle plane.  It's not the worst thing in the world though if you train with it and get used to it.

I've heard nothing but good things about the LD unit.  Looks a bit bulky and heavy and probably isn't easy to holster-shop for.  I guess that's the price for what I've heard is nearly perfect functionality.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an M6X with the optional railgrabber hardware installed on my issue M4.

It is fantastic.  The light is extremely bright (noticably brighter than 6v surefires)  The light is around 4.5oz compared to the surefires nearly a pound, boresight retention is great and the adjustments of windage and elevation are 100% vertical and horizontal, very positive.  

We don't currently have PAQ-4s for everyman (not even half of us) and the M6X laser works great for night aiming with my PVS7's (If I had 14's I would just look through the sights but I don't and can't.)

I've got one comming for my M9.  That one will be slide lock.  The slide lock boresight retention isnt supposed to be quite as good, but it doesn't really need to be at 25yds.

Our guys are very impressed with the X-series lights and love the light weight of the system and the compatibility with issued PAQ-4/PEQ-2 pressure switches.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top