Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 11:22:54 AM EDT
Soon I will be switching to an RAS II on my duty M4 and need suggestions on which light to mount on it.  Im currently using an M500 forearm light.

Thanks, Tim
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The M500 is great, perfect amount of light.  I switched to it after my old "classic" 6 volt light with tape switch was too dim for a particular situation I found myself in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
My first choice would be the SF M96x Millenium light.  It is the 9v suystem and can be had with either a throw lever otr twin thumbscrew mounts an equally good and less expensive option would be the 9v Laser Devices lights.  The choice of switch options are numerous from both companies.

My second choice would e the M900 integral 9v light and foregrip.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Considering you're used to the many activation options of the M500A one other solution to consider is the M962XM05/06 -

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/315352/lights087.jpg

The XM tailcap has both a clicker switch and a detachable tapeswitch.  The clicker will give you the ability of hands free constant on if needed or you can use it momentarily with
partial pressure on either the clicker t/c or via the tapeswitch.

I second that!  I'm running the M952XM with the P61 120 lumen lamp, but maybe should've just gone straight to the M962....

The XM tailcap really is all that and then some IMHO.  Run it with the pressure pad in a Tango Down vertical grip (which was designed with a cutout to specifically accept the SureFire pressure pad) it really makes a great combination!

I'm surprised there isn't more talk of the XM tailcap on these forums.  It seemed like there was a lot of anticipation in its release, but I'm not hearing much about them anymore.

Corey (who got an XM immediately after its release -- thanks again Brightflashlights!)

PS  No more traditional bezels for the M95x/96x series?

EDITED b/c I typed part of my response in the quotes.  Ooops.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm kind of liking the look of the new Scout lights.  I'm contemplating the 5 watt LED version for my "hard use" gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything by Surefire is fine......
That being said go with the M962.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like the constant on capability for opening doors or whatever.  I was concerned I might lose that ability.  Do the lights come with that tailcap or is it a separate accessory?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I really like the constant on capability for opening doors or whatever.  I was concerned I might lose that ability.  Do the lights come with that tailcap or is it a separate accessory?

SureFire offers:

Momentary on/off;

Momentary on/off/constant on;

Pressure tape momentary on/off; and

XM: Pressure tape momentary on/off/constant on (button).

Mix and match to get what you like.  You can buy a light and configure it with a variety of tailcaps.

Corey

PS  Have I missed any options?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you including the Classic Switches you have loads of options.
The ability to have two switches.
Flag switch on TailCap
Rocker switches on Cable
Momentary tape switches on Cable
In combinations.... Lots of combinations!

Al
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you including the Classic Switches you have loads of options.
The ability to have two switches.
Flag switch on TailCap
Rocker switches on Cable
Momentary tape switches on Cable
In combinations.... Lots of combinations!

Al

Size15 has an outstanding photo of all the recent M95x/96x tailcaps.  Do a search for his posts and you'll find it.

I referred a friend (who's in the market for a light) to that thread and it helped him choose a tailcap (XM).
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Since I cant get used to or realize the benefit of a vertical foregrip Im going with the M961C.  I dont like the idea of wires hanging on the rifle.  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top