Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2004 8:12:31 PM EDT
Just curious why most people mount there lights on the 3 O'clock position? Is there any real reason or just preference?

ct602
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
just a preference for me

Some people put lights certain places to make sure the shadow of the barrell is where it won't distract them or something.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just curious why most people mount there lights on the 3 O'clock position? Is there any real reason or just preference?

ct602

I use a clickie tailcap and I'm right handed... It's just easier for me to hit it that way.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the clickie right there because my thumb can easily reach it when using the VFG.  Tape switches are more prone to switch failure and accidental activation.  My guarded clickie is prone to neither...

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I only mount my light at 6 O' Clock because in any other position I cannot fit it in a rifle case.  Don't you guys have the same pronlem?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I only mount my light at 6 O' Clock because in any other position I cannot fit it in a rifle case.  Don't you guys have the same pronlem?

Nope. I'm using a Maxpedition soft case for everyday stuff and it fits just fine.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The Surefires I have are too long and bulky, and take up to much room when mounted
at the 6 o' clock. The light is more out of the way when mounted at the 3.
Plus, I like to shoot from the bench sometimes and a light at 6 o'clock presents a problem
when shooting from sand bags. The only draw back I see with the 3'o clock is
"pieing" right hand corners-You have to adjust or else you'll blind your self with the light's
beam hitting the wall a few inches in front of your face.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
10-4
The only problem I've had with the light on the side is shooting around corners on the side w/ the light. But you work around it
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the 6 oclock position but don't like tape switches and can't afford a Surefire M900.  So I put mine at 3 oclock to reach the button with my thumb.  And yes the only downside to this is right hand corners.  120 lumens in your eyes after bouncing off white high gloss interior paint 3 feet in front of your eyes can be an experience you'll never forget.  Makes searching for bad guys hard when all you see are dots and you look like this....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#9]
10 o'clock for me

Left side.   For support hand activation of the button.

I dont' trust wires.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top