Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 5:13:24 PM EDT
What did I miss? I just heard about this light. I know it was intended for pistols, but why no discussion about using it on AR-15s? But ,then, I have a Tasco ProPoint PDP6 (also intended for pistols) on my carbine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The X200 is the best Handgun light made IMHO. It also makes a pretty good AR15 weaponlight..

I had a chace to play with one at night during a class in June.  I gotta agree with Grant's statement.

It's a heck of a light!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I've mounted mine on my AR a couple of times and chased the dog around the house!  It would do a fine job in CQB situation.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The X200 is the best Handgun light made IMHO. It also makes a pretty good AR15 weaponlight..

I had a chace to play with one at night during a class in June.  I gotta agree with Grant's statement.

It's a heck of a light!

I don't know, it is a fantastic light. Quality construction, with all the usual LED advantages while being as bright as a conventional bulb.

But I think it's beam could stand to be larger. It illuminates a noticably smaller area than an Insight M-3 at the same range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Have Surefire release the pressure switch for the X-200 yet?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But I think it's beam could stand to be larger. It illuminates a noticably smaller area than an Insight M-3 at the same range.

Use one before you make that statment.  The Hot spot is smaller, but you'll have no problems using it.  I also think it works to a longer range than the M3.

The X200 is more durable (LED!), has a better mouting system, and will have a variety of triggering options.  You just can't beat it for a handgun mounted light.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've mounted mine on my AR a couple of times and chased the dog around the house!

You crazy so-and-so.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use one before you make that statment.  The Hot spot is smaller, but you'll have no problems using it.  I also think it works to a longer range than the M3.

The X200 is more durable (LED!), has a better mouting system, and will have a variety of triggering options.  You just can't beat it for a handgun mounted light.

Hey, thanx Forest, I own one.

I was also using it last night.......................

I stood about 7-10 ft from another person, with the lights off the weapon, I shine an M-3 and an X-200 on the person to compare the beams. The M-3 lit up face to hips, and hands with arms at a 45 degree angle. It was a yellowish, uneven light FYI. The X-200 lit up neck to belt, and the hands were not lit up with the arms at a 45 degree angle.

It seems to me that being able to light up from waistband to face is improtant. The waist is where a lot of weapons get hid, and I would like to know where the other person is looking, see facial reactions to commands etc.

It is also critical to be able to see what hands are doing.

I think with also both know why 7-10 ft is an important distance too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I think you can almost buy three M3's for the price of the surefire, as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Three M3's are the number that went south here with LE use.

I'll buy one SF that works for the price of three M3's that didn't. And with today's rates it's more like two M3's vs one SF.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#13]
How much does the MIL STD M-1913 (Picatinny) rail plate/adapter change the profile of this light from the pistol rail plate?

Anyone have any pictures of the light with both adapters installed?

It does look quite a bit more rugged (and cooler... which in reality is the all important factor in deciding on accessories for guns) than an M3. Plus, it's cool to have the option of switching the light from pistol to AR if need be. I'm not sure how much tooling is required to do so.

Aren't the tac-rails on the Sig P226 Rail and the GSR 1911 MIL STD M-1913 (Picatinny)? It doesn't really indicate on SigArms.com but the sure as hell look like it. If they are this would mean a very easy switch.

On the issue of illuminating a person... as long as it blinds them and gives me the upper hand in getting a shot off I'm happy.

In a perfect world I'd have an SF M900 and X200, but neither are cheap in price, so the X200 seems like a good compromise for using from pistol to rifle.

I'm sold. I'm sending my wish list to Santa right now.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How much does the MIL STD M-1913 (Picatinny) rail plate/adapter change the profile of this light from the pistol rail plate?

Anyone have any pictures of the light with both adapters installed?

It does look quite a bit more rugged (and cooler... which in reality is the all important factor in deciding on accessories for guns) than an M3. Plus, it's cool to have the option of switching the light from pistol to AR if need be. I'm not sure how much tooling is required to do so.

Aren't the tac-rails on the Sig P226 Rail and the GSR 1911 MIL STD M-1913 (Picatinny)? It doesn't really indicate on SigArms.com but the sure as hell look like it. If they are this would mean a very easy switch.

On the issue of illuminating a person... as long as it blinds them and gives me the upper hand in getting a shot off I'm happy.

In a perfect world I'd have an SF M900 and X200, but neither are cheap in price, so the X200 seems like a good compromise for using from pistol to rifle.

I'm sold. I'm sending my wish list to Santa right now.

I'm not sure I have the right answer...................

But look in the center of the rails on the image there is a "U". that marks the universal attachment.

There are 4 allen type bolts, 2 on each "rail". To chage to a "P" plate, you unscrew the 4 bolts, lift of the rails, CAREFUL the plate is spring-loaded. Replace the "U" plate with the "P" plate, replace the rails and re-screw them down.

So I don't think there will be any major difference in how the light looks with either adapter installed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Picatinny plate simply replaces the Universal plate so it won't change the profile.  And yes, Sig is using the 1913 Picatinny specs, here's a pic of the X200 on a GSR -
img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/315352/Dsc00448.jpg

By posting that picture you have acquired nearly every ounce of my envy for the remainder of the day and quite possibly the rest of the year... the only way I would be 100% jealous is if you replaced the grips with Hogue Rubber Grips. For some reason I hate wood grips, and plus the ones that come with the GSR are almost like having a cheese grater on the handle.

Thanks for the info though.... good to know for sure and will probably steer my purchase down the road toward the SF.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#17]

The U & P Latches differ in the thickness of the "bar" that is sprung into the rail.
The U bar is thinner.

The spring locates here:

If you would like to see a photo of two X200A's side-by-side one with the P Latch and the other with the U Latch, I have them on my desk - email me [email protected]

Al
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top