Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2004 1:26:53 PM EDT
I need a light on my patrol rifle but can't decide what type. I know I want a Surefire but which one?  I'm also thinking of using a vertical forearm grip but don't have a rail sytem yet. I've gone back and forth thinking either M900 or MU systems.  Here's what my rifle looks like now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/reddog132/Photo11.jpg

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reddog
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were a LEO or active military and I could legitimately claim the weapon expenses as a business expense (which they can) I would get the best I could absolutely, possibly afford.  Which means I'd go for the M900.  And if I couldn't afford to be without the rifle while a FF rail system was put on, I'd get a KAC RAS (although I do have the SF M73 and I think it is excellent).  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
M962 with your choice of switch (button or tape switch).  9 volts / 125 lumens is bright enough for outdoors, but not overwhelming to the user indoors.  Good compromise of size and weight.  You will need a railed forend to mount it though... .
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. M962 is the way to go.
Just as bright as a M900, more versatile, less bulky and less likely to go wrong(Break the
built in vert grip and the light goes too.) Get a KAC RAS and your set.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Who makes your pistol holster?   Ret a 4 rail forearms from a number of good companies,,,,,,,,,,YHM Co., KAC RAS.  Surefire four rail,,,
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a M900 mounted on an advanced armament rail.  That rail was like 15 bucks from Brownells.  It bolts to the standard handguard and holds the light fine.  At some point I will put a LaRue rail system on, but I am good for now.

The deciding factor for a vert grip light for me is the fact that it operates the same way no matter if you are shooing right or left handed.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Who makes your pistol holster?   Ret a 4 rail forearms from a number of good companies,,,,,,,,,,YHM Co., KAC RAS.  Surefire four rail,,,

It's a Safariland 6004 drop leg.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
A rail system is a must.  If you can afford it I would go with the LaRue but if not then YHM has two versions very cheap you could choose from.  Those are the free float version  and the ones that just replace your regular handguards.  After that, as with the rails, if you can afford the M900 then great but if not I would get a Magpul vert grip and either the new scout light or M962.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I think I'm leaning toward the 962 series with the m73 rail system and some type of fore grip.  Is  there any advantage or disadvantage having a light mounted at the 3 o'clock position instead of the 6 o'clock positon as would be the M900? I can think of "rolling out" from the left side barricade might be a little difficult while still using your light, but other then that I like the set up.  Any thoughts?

Reddog
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to rest the forend on a solid object for a more stable shot then the light in the 6 o'clock position gets in the way.  That's why I like the 3 or 9 o'clock positions.

Just my .02
MadDog
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both the 900 and the MU series.  I like the 900 better due the fact it sits under the weapon, but the MU is one hell of a light.  Cant go wrong with either.

Jim

Oh yea....the surfire rail system is the best bang for your buck.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes. M962 is the way to go.
Just as bright as a M900, more versatile, less bulky and less likely to go wrong(Break the
built in vert grip and the light goes too.) Get a KAC RAS and your set.

I agree however I have the M961 because I preferr the screw mount instead of the throw lever (i dont think the latter is any less sturdy, just my personal taste)
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#12]
C4iGrant in the Equipment Exchange most likely has everything you need in stock and can provide you with helpful specifications, great pricing and fast shipping.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=219144

www.gandrtactical.com/
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I will strongly disagree with that statement.  The YHM is much cheaper and the LaRue is only slightly more expensive for a much better product.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will strongly disagree with that statement.  The YHM is much cheaper and the LaRue is only slightly more expensive for a much better product.

I have SF's M73 handguard.  I like it quite well.  It mounts more solidly (because of the allen head set screws) than the YHM handguards.   I wasn't aware LaRue even made a two piece handguard like the YHM or M73 (I know KAC does).  The LaRue 7.0 system is a FF system requiring the removal of the FSB.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up a M951 for my personal weapon, gonna save the M961 for when I go back to Iraq... I sure like these MU lights. I dont think I will ever buy a flashlight from anyone but surefire ever again.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top