Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2003 8:29:21 PM EDT
A friend of mine has what I believe is a M96x SureFire light. He mounted it on his rifle and took it off only to put it in a box, he replaced it with the SureFire Light that is built into the forward grip,I'm not sure of the model number. He showed me the receipt for the other light , he paid a little over $300 for it. Here are my problems, money...money..money!

I know you get what you pay for and since this is going on a duty rifle I should not cheap out but I can't afford the set up that I wanted to get but I need  a good weapon light that has a presure switch and will hold up to recoil.

I was going to get the light from my friend and mount on a A.R.M.S. bilevel S.I.R. but that is no longer a option.

Can you recomend somthing?Is ther some thing that will work for me around $150 or so? Also how much candle power will I give up going with whatever light you recomend versus getting the one from my friend? Thanks alot!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Also can I was thinking about a Streamlight M3(plus AR rail adapter) with a pressure switch. Is there a pressure switch option with the M3? Also do you think it would hold up to 5.56 recoil?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The Pelican lights are new, but they seem to be growing in popularity.  The Surefire G2 with the addition of a shock isolated bezel is also a route you could take.  Both have the ability to take a pressure tape switch.  The Surefire classic lights are only about $180 and can come standard with a tape switch.  All three will require a separate mounting ring like a FOBUS or Knight's mount.  Personally, I would go for the Surefire Classic, but since this is not a duty gun, I think you could chance it with the G2 or the pelican.  Both seem to be growing in popularity for a inexpensive, general use weapon light.

Try here:  [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=165056]Bright Flashlights[/url].  If there is something you need, he seems to be very helpful and seems to be able to track just about anything down for you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Knightone, I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also can I was thinking about a Streamlight M3(plus AR rail adapter) with a pressure switch. Is there a pressure switch option with the M3? Also do you think it would hold up to 5.56 recoil?
View Quote

I know there is a pressure switch assembly available, at least there used to be.  However, I have never seen anyone use it.  Quite a few people have mounted the M3 to their ARs with no problems.  There is quite a bit more inertia due to muzzle flip and felt recoil with p[istols than your average 5.56mm weapon, so I imagine it should be good to go.  Although I have heard it doesn't have quite the "throw" of light that others do.  While it has enough light projection for a sidearm, I don't think it would be as useful for a long arm except in CQB.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay I'm thinking now...stand back. The G2 that you mention, would I be able to illuminate an area say to 30 to 40 yds? Also the link that you gave me is a little confusing to me. How much would it cost me to mount the G2 on a rail with a pressure switch?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a M3 that mounts on a set of M4 HG's at 10 oclock.

Close range only ( 0 to 20yds. not blinding )
Would not count on durability
With a tape switch you would be lucky to make it 1/3rd the way through a gun fight without a brakage.

There fine on pistols, and if you wanted to use only one light for both, it would be a good way to go. ( NO PRESSURE PAD ! )

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:57:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks alot guys, I'm still wondering how I can swing it to get my buddy's light. If I get the G2, I'll get it from Bright Flash Lights.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top