Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2003 6:50:03 PM EDT
I have a KL3 head that I cant decide what to do with.  It's too heavy for use on a 6P body as a hand held, it throws off the balace too much.  However it's brightness is about perfect for indoor use.

I'm thinking it may make an acceptable weapon light for my home defense .223 carbine. My only question is the durability?

Does the KL3 head use any delicate step up or step down voltage regulation circitry?  Or is a a simple "dumb" head?  Surefire is currently marketing a LED handgun light.

anyone tried a KL3 head on a 6P body as a indoor weapon light.  It's clearly not bright enough for outdoor/military use...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
While I question whether the KL3 is bright enough, I know that it is more than capable to handle life on a weapon.

Al
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
While I question whether the KL3 is bright enough, I know that it is more than capable to handle life on a weapon.

Al
View Quote

Been playing with it in and around the house. It's plenty bright enough for threat identification and "backlighting" the rifles sights. It's certainly wont blind the threat like my M500 will, but i find the M500 to be too bright indoors and had to put a filter on it so i dont blind myself with reflected light off the walls.  In fact I even find the P60 lamp, to be too bright indoors.

I'll give it a good workout at the range and see if the KL3 holds up. Gonna be bummed if I kill a $50.00 LED head through. Oh well, in the interest of science..
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
LED bulbs are not nearly as delicate as the xeon bulbs of weapon lights. They are not nearly as bright either, but LED's are pretty durable!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Can the KL3 fit to a Classic 6p?
It there a filter or a cover available for the KL3?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The KL3 will fit the 6P & 9P "standard" bodies (including the G2 & G2Z). The KL3 can also replace the Z32 bezel on you Classic WeaponLight and also the M2 bezel on your M95 WeaponLight.

The KL3 has the same bezel diameter as the M2, 8AX/8NX and KL5 bezels. It can therefore use the FM6x BeamFilters.
It's worth pointing out that there is basically no IR light, practically no Red light and only a little Blue light coming from a white light LED. The FM67 BeamCover and to a certain extent the FM64 BeamShaper will work though.

Al
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:07:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I am planning to build a 676 classic weapon light myself with  A15, A21, M26, and L36 lamp module, I already have the classic 6P 12" tape switch, (I think) the L36 lamp module will come with a adapter to fit the A15 housing, I wonder if I can use this adapter to put a KL3 on it?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I am going to put the new KL6 head, on my new Surefire M900a weapons light. It should kick ass !!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's worth pointing out that there is basically no IR light, practically no Red light and only a little Blue light coming from a white light LED.
View Quote

What are the pratical effects of that?

If there is "practically no red light" comming out of a white LED, does that mean you would have trouble seing red objects?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am going to put the new KL6 head, on my new Surefire M900a weapons light. It should kick ass !!!
View Quote

And you're thinking the same as me!  
In fact, here are some photos of the brand new KL6 beam, indoors and out, compared to L4 and P60 beams:
[url]http://members.aol.com/qn9513/myhomepage/flashlightl6.html[/url]
I love it when others do the guinea pig research for us...
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top