Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2003 4:25:15 PM EDT
During the recent blackout, personal lights were used at an unprecedented level.

Many were out in the street w/ headlamps, and the LED was introduced by the Mil/LE community and the Hiking/outdoors community to mom and pop.  The extended run time, and "cool" close up work light aspect of the LED really sold it as a useful alternative.

Especially amongst LE types, who depended on their lights for many hours.  

Having used a 6P for years, and then moving to an M2, I learned the LED head would be a great addition to the lights as the std. lamp was killing our batteries, quick!  And, the fast burns were actually deterring many to use their "high end" lights.  But, not wanting to switch heads in the middle of a "situation", I wanted a dedicated LED light w/ a good amount of LEDS burning at the same time.

I wished for a G2 nitrolon LED type light.  But, none exists.

My understanding is the LED modules burn "cool" w/o generating much heat, so Nitro should be adequate.  Its plenty strong and after a year in a work environment, while it might be dinged and dented (slightly) it won't need to be refinished.  Also the use of Nitro allows SF to keep manuf. costs down.  A cheap light that generates sufficient light, used in less than tactical situautions, is light and runs cheaply.  No scrathed AL bodies etc.  So what gives???  SF says no plans.  Would anyone else like to see one??
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The "beam" from an LED is cool but the the LED and Electronics that powers it run very hot.
The 1W Luxeon version of the LED bezel which fits the G2 is called the KL3 - it is huge compared to the G2 bezel and I personally think too large for it's output (although it's regulated output runtime is superb).
The 1W Luxeon needs good thermal management. I don't think making the KL3 from Nitrolon will make it any cheaper - the opposite could be more likely the case.

Al
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:42:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Bright- that's really nice of you thanks.

Couple  more questions:
Long term/hard use durability o the Streamlights vs. SF?
Run times of the DL123 lights vs. SFs like 6P/C2/M2?
Prices vs. SF
Links?

TIA-

S2
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
With respect, comparing one manufacturer's output/runtime specs to another manufacturer's specs is pointless.
The only output/runtime specs I believe are not hyped are those provided by SureFire and Arc. Streamlight's output/runtime specs do not appear to be as scientific.

Please see this thread on CandlePowerForums:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=362698&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post381986
"Quickbeam" has produced a chart that I think you'll find it more useful.
The "TL-2 LED" is the "Streamlight Tactical TL-2 (1LS)"
The SureFire "KL3" is the "SureFire KL3 White (1LS)".

Please take the time to read the text above the chart as it is useful to understand it.

Best regards,

Al
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Close range is where the LED's really shine.  A broad, even, diffuse beam is perfect indoors.  I'm not sure they will ever replace incadescents for long-range illumination, but I definately like the high-incandescent/low-LED setup on the A2.  

The major drawback to the SF lights at close and medium range is the intense hotspot.  For me, this overwhelms my eye and makes the corona useless.  I have to sweep a narrow beam of light around like a surgical laser.  The LED's light up an entire wall of a room rather evenly, so the alignment of the light on the target isn't as critical.  I run tip-off beamshapers on all of my SF lights except the turboheads for this reason.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want a Nitrolon LED light just buy a G2 and a KL3 head.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
2x's the price of the entire light for just a new head...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
With most folks who are used to the performance of std. incadescent lights like a Surefire, it can be a rude awakening when they install a KL3 and find out it won't illuminate much farther than 7 or 8 yds. outdoors.  
View Quote

I agree that LED lights lack the "throw" of Incandesants. But my back yard is at least 20 yards wide and my KL3 on a 6volt tube will light up fence at that distance.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
In my experience, the smoother and wider beam of the LED makes it more useful.  The hotspot of incandescent lights can wash out the less intense corona, and make it useless.

Ideally, we could have both in the same light.  The newer SF KL5 and KL6 are 5w LEDs, with deep reflectors.  We'll see how they far they throw.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top