Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2003 12:47:27 PM EDT
Just a quick check to see if anyone has ever killed a Surefire G2 flashlight through any means or use - including those outside of its intended design parameters?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Not yet.  I like them alot.  Matter of fact, several people in my family will be getting one this XMAS.

Women seem to really like them in yellow.

Back to the point of your post.....They are tough.  Mine have been dropped on dirt, cement, asphalt, gravel, and grass.  I wanted to see how tough they are....
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I dropped mine off of the rotor hear of a CH53E clear to the flight deck and mine lived. I am using mine as a weapns light with a Z32 bezel. So we will see if it die from recoil or not.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I dropped mine off of the rotor hear of a CH53E clear to the flight deck and mine lived. I am using mine as a weapns light with a Z32 bezel. So we will see if it die from recoil or not.

IPSC_GUY sends
View Quote

Wow. My trust in G2 increased 300% after this thread. Thanks, I think I'm getting one regardless of using it as a weaponlight ornot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I just ordered nine more G2s for Xmas presents.  So, does that tell you anything??

Originally, I bought two.  One for general use, and one to abuse.  

That's how mine "got droppped" on all those surfaces(see above post).
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I am doing the G2 test right now also; but don't anticipate any high round counts for awhile.

I'm using a plain G2, no shock-isolated bezel. About 250 rounds of SB SS109 and BH 68gr. Also ripped it out of the 1" scope rings I used to mount it while moving from a barricade.

No issues so far. The only trouble so far as been tightening the scope rings securely enough to hold the flashlight - the Nitrolon body is so "springy" that you can just tighten the rings until it is literally squeezing the light in half and there is still room to tighten more.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
One of mine had been attached to the rifle and I've fired over 400 rounds (mostly Black Hills 68gr OTM) over the course of 2 days.  During this time the light was used (and getting warm).  Light does have the Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel.

I will be replacing it with a 6v Classic Weapon light - I just got to send a check out to BrightLights
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, I am doing the G2 test right now also; but don't anticipate any high round counts for awhile.

I'm using a plain G2, no shock-isolated bezel. About 250 rounds of SB SS109 and BH 68gr. Also ripped it out of the 1" scope rings I used to mount it while moving from a barricade.

No issues so far. The only trouble so far as been tightening the scope rings securely enough to hold the flashlight - the Nitrolon body is so "springy" that you can just tighten the rings until it is literally squeezing the light in half and there is still room to tighten more.
View Quote

Try putting a swatch of bike innertube b/w the mount and the light.

And I suspect that the G2 will run far in excess of 250 rounds on a 5.56.

I've been banging mine around some and have a healthy respect for it.  That being said, I'm upgrading to an M952 (or something like that) when funds allow, mainly for a stronger mount.

Yeah, I doubted when I first started looking into it, but the bottom line is:

G2's ROCK!

FWIW, Brightflashlights (dealer on this board) has some awesome deals on G2 packages.  Check out the EE.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I to am running an endurance test on one, I have it in a first samco mount on an 11.5 inch upper, 500 rouonds so far and no problems
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm using a G2 in a GG&G D&D mount on a CAR-15. So far no problems.

I still cant believe that Surefire came out with the G2 lights. The lamp alone cost $17.00, for $8.00 more you get a whole flashlight. They are a steal.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top