Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2003 3:57:42 AM EDT
Does it add much or too much weight to the front of your carbine??  Is it worth it, anyway??

I will not be using this carbine on long marches, etc.  Just in the vehicle, training, and at the house.

Help me out.  I need info.  Thanks

Monty
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Monty,

According to Surefire the M900a will add 18oz to your carbine.  The M962 series adds 11.8 oz if you are like me and like vertical grips, a M962 with a quality vertical grip like the dieter CQD or Tango Down will be very close in weight to the M900a.

The M900a will add weight but how it feels will be subjsctive to the user.  I shot my carbine with a m900a for several hours which included double taps and hammers from the low ready and while moving and did not have any problems with the weight.

I'm using it on a SIR 50 with an EOTech 552 forward mounted and it still feels fast and handy to me.

I also have no problems using it for one handed shooting and mounted mag changes.
[img]http://a7.cpimg.com/image/91/99/23963537-b666-01800200-.jpg[/img]

[img]http://a8.cpimg.com/image/92/99/23963538-9a07-02000180-.jpg[/img]

[img]http://a4.cpimg.com/image/CA/9B/23963594-55f4-02000180-.jpg[/img]

With that being said, I truly feel the weight added by the M900a is definitely worth the capability it adds to your carbine.  I must have looked at and tried all the different combinations to setup the M962 series and no matter how I set it up there were certain positons, grips that made it awkward to use.   Not to mention the M962 was about 7 inches long and really added bulk to the sides of my SIR.

The M900a puts everything together in a smaller more efficient package.  It puts the light 6 o'clock which I liked better than 3 or 9 o'clock, you get LED navigation lights and along with a great vertical grip that uses the ARMS throw lever.  More importantly the M900a's controls work great bi-laterally, I have no problems switching from strong to weak side and using the light.

Just my 2 cents, as always YMMV. [:D]

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it heavy?  Yes.

Is it too heavy?  No.

Is it worth the weight?  Yes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like we just had this discussion:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=171673&w=searchPop[/url]

But, I agree, it's no lightweight but it is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Yohimbo, looks great! Glad you got the light you wanted. Everything everyone has said is right on in my experience. The M900 is not overly or unecessarily heavy. It does, however, add weight. Most everyone who has one agrees that the purpose it serves is well worth not only the weight it adds, but also the high price they paid!
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:31:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey Guys,

I appreciate all your input here.  Big thanks to Yojimbo, nice pics buddy!

Monty
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
For a minute there Yojimbo I thought you were room-clearing my house.  I've got (rather my wife has) the same decor.  High five.

I couldn't be happier with the M900.  I've got it mounted on a simple RAS and I couldn't be happier.  Like Yojimbo said, in the end the weight is close to a standard set up.  Lil more?  Sure.  But worth every penny...and ounce.  What the M900 offers far outwieghs other light setups...imho.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
On a carbine, I'm a big 900 fan.  My only complaint is that its too long, but thats really just aesthetic.  I guess it you wanted a 4grip and/or light independent of each other you might not like it.  I like a grip and a light mounted at all times so it doesn't bother me.  I also like "tape switches" but I hate wires and tape. (how ironic?)  This neatly provides the best user interface for me.  A TD/Dieter with a 95/62 would be my second choice, but I can't figure out the ergonomics of the pushtailcap and as stated I hate wires.

The "need new gear" devil on my right shoulder is trying to convince me I don't need the 900 anymore, but my "keep it" devil on the left is still winning.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top