Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2003 6:09:59 PM EDT
Where can I find a Picatinny rail? It is apparently a very usefull accessory, issued in the Army. Are they commercially available?

2nd Question:
Does anyone use a Mag-light mounted on their AR? I  already have a Mag-light I would like to use, rather than fork over $85 or $100 for a Surefire or similar light. Call me cheap, but I just bought a house and times are a little tight right now.

Thanks, Slurpie
Anacortes, WA
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a G2 Surefire for $30 and you can buy a rail from AAC.  The Surefire G2 will be about 8X brighter than your maglight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Slurpie:
I am asumming you are talking about the Mini Maglight?

The G2 will totally stomp it, and is well worth the cost.  With a shock-isolated bezel ($22), it will also be much more rugged.  I went the home-ownership route, and I know how tight the budget can be, but I believe you will be much happier with the quality flashlight in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Buy a G2 Surefire for $30 and you can buy a rail from AAC.  The Surefire G2 will be about 8X brighter than your maglight.
View Quote

This is some really good advice.  The G2 will be brighter & much more durable than the minimag (where the bulb tend to wiggle out under recoil).  Its also much smaller and lighter (and brighter) then the 'C' & 'D' maglights.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I second the Surefire G2 for a budget light rig, I have around 200 rounds downrange on mine (no shock isloated bezel) and it is holding up nicely. I actually ripped it out of the 1" scope rings on a baricade during one shoot and it still was solid as a rock.

I was going to beef up the G2 by adding a shock-isolated bezel to it; but I wasn't having any trouble with shock and for the price of the Z32 bezel ($22), I could add a complete new G2 flashlight with batteries which seemed like a better deal to me.

1" Millett low-mount scope rings $20
2 Surefire G2 $28.50 ($57.00)
Whatever rail you need to mount them

So for $77 you can have a sturdy 65 lumen light with a tailcap activated momentary switch (much nicer than a maglight - quick on/off) AND have a backup rig already in mounts on the off chance the first one fails.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the site!

[url=http://www.advanced-armament.com/ar-15.html]Here[/url] is a link to Advanced Armament.  I have the rail shown in the picture.  It's a stable, inexpensive way to mount a grip and/or light.

I agree with everyone else about the SureFire.  Really is the way to go.

Also, First-Samco has a mount for like $25 that is easy to put on/take off the rail.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I have gone through bushels of lamps , and have not shattered any with a Millienium series lights.  This makes me a big fan of the shock-isolated bezel.  I'd opt for the M2 bezel over the Z32.  I don like that idea of twin G2's, though.  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top