Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2003 6:38:52 AM EDT
I just put a Surefire 500A on one of my AR's. I had it set up with a vertical grip and an Insight M3 w/ pressure switch. I really liked my old set up, but I like the increased power of the Surefire. I would like to know if there is anyway to mount a vertical grip on the 500A handguards that will allow remote operation of the light?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The short answer is No.

It would be nice to have "port" to plug in various switching options.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That truly stinks! If there are any industrious minded people out there heed my call! I need a vertical grip w/ remote on my 500A badly! Actually, I put my carbine lower hanguard w/ vertical grip on the gun. I thought that I still might be able to get to the pressure switch. I was way wrong. If the pressure switch was on the opposite side it would work. I could rest my index finger along-side of it, and apply pressure when needed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I would like to know if there is anyway to mount a vertical grip on the 500A handguards that will allow remote operation of the light?

View Quote

Yes, it's called a M900.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Flip your M500 upside down and attach the grip like that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
No! I do not want a M900. I just don't like it. I did flip the light over, but it hits my legs when the gun is slung and I use a single point sling. I wish there was a SIMPLE solution. Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#6]
This is precisely why I choose the M972P on a GG&G Offset Tactical Flashlight Mount used in conjunction with a GG&G vertical foregrip.

I don't like the M500 series lights because it does not allow you to use a vertical foregrip.

I don't like the M900 series lights because of the pressure pad switch and the associated risk of an accidental illumination in a high stress situation.  Things like startle response, overflow-activity/interlimb-interaction, and general muscle tightening could easily compromise your position inadvertently with potentially fatal results.

With a M972P on the GG&G Tac Light Mount I can hold my pistol grip with a death grip if I want to and there is no risk of a light AD, and if I want to activate the light I simply lift my thumb and activate the switch on the back of the light.

Some criticize this setup because when you are Pie-ing a corner there is a chance you can splash the light back in your own face. I find that when I am in that situation at a right hand corner, I can simply rotate the carbine over 90deg CCW and still sight down the barrel and have no risk of splashing light on myself...

Hope some of this is useful to you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestion. I got a great deal on the M500, so I bought it. I love the light, but I have become too relient on the vertical grip. If I had the extra cash I would go with your suggestion. Who knows. I might sell the M500 and get something else.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
They have pad blockers that come with the M900.  I can crush my grip with all my might and no AD of the light.  I have to adjust my grip and press the one little spot that is uncoverd.  AD is a non issue to me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Good article in the Dec 2003 issue of SWAT on the Surefire M500A.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#10]
DEC 2003??

so its comming up?

id like to read it
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DEC 2003??

so its comming up?

id like to read it
View Quote

yep, got it in the mail last week
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good article in the Dec 2003 issue of SWAT on the Surefire M500A.
View Quote

I don't have a subscription to SWAT. Did they like it or slam it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:13:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just put a Surefire 500A on one of my AR's. I had it set up with a vertical grip and an Insight M3 w/ pressure switch. I really liked my old set up, but I like the increased power of the Surefire. I would like to know if there is anyway to mount a vertical grip on the 500A handguards that will allow remote operation of the light?
View Quote

I realize this is an old post, but if anyone cares you can mount a vertical grip easily with a 500a. Just use [url=http://www.advanced-armament.com/ar-15.html]this[/url] instead of the bottom Surefire handguard.

EDIT: Here's one that is even simpler and cheaper:

[img]http://www.riflestocks.com/info/ACE_Web_AR_prod._Jpeg/AR25%20%20(6___M4)-SM.JPG[/img]

[url=http://www.riflestocks.com/ar15.html]Ace link[/url]

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top