Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2003 7:30:49 AM EDT
If I attach a weight similar to an m972p to a 16" M4 type barrel/gas block, how much will my point of impact shift at 100 yards? Assume a FF forend. Are we talking 1/2"?   2", 10"? Has anyone actually measured this POI shift?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a FF forend, why attach it to the barrel/gas-block.

Attach it to the FF forend, potential problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Omega_556:If you have a FF forend, why attach it to the barrel/gas-block?

Good question: First, I can avoid the need for a FF RAS, saving money and resulting in a smaller diameter, possibly lighter weight forend. Second, I think I can manage with a carbine length forend, rather than having to had the extra weight and expense of a midlength forend to provide sufficient room for the M972P and my hand on the forend.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be interested as well.  I was looking at putting a surefire with a fobus Mount on the 3-rail gas block on my varminter.  Not permananently (naturally) but when I asked around, they said it wouldn't be a problem??  Is this not true, will it effect the poi greatly??  

Omega_556- why do you say "If you have a FF forend, why attach it to the barrel/gas-block) is it any different if it is a non FF??  Just wondering?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Omega_556- why do you say "If you have a FF forend, why attach it to the barrel/gas-block) is it any different if it is a non FF??  Just wondering?
View Quote

The point of free floating is to minimize unwanted effects on barrel harmonics.  The weight of the flashlight will cause a change in barrel response.  If it is attached to a FF tube, ther will be no effect on the barrel.

On a non free-floated barrel, you have several points of contact on the barrel, and while adding the light will cause a change, the effect may be less than that on the FF.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to hijack this thread, but what is a good way to attach a light to a ff forearm.  I have a Bushy Varminter, and would like to add a light sometime.  Is there someway you can bolt just a short Picatinny rail to the forearm? A kit??

Gundraw
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I attach a weight similar to an m972p to a 16" M4 type barrel/gas block, how much will my point of impact shift at 100 yards? Assume a FF forend. Are we talking 1/2"?   2", 10"? Has anyone actually measured this POI shift?

thanks
View Quote

X,

I would not suggest mounting a light as heavy as the M972P on your gas block, this will definitely cause the barrel to shift or drop.  The classic series is a good option for the gas block since it is somewhat lighter.

You can go as far as a rail handguard because it balance out the weight of the light a lot better then that small spot on the gas block.

Quoted:
Not to hijack this thread, but what is a good way to attach a light to a ff forearm.  I have a Bushy Varminter, and would like to add a light sometime.  Is there someway you can bolt just a short Picatinny rail to the forearm? A kit??

Gundraw
View Quote

Call places like GG&G and Precision Reflex, they have rail blanks that you can drill and tap onto your FF aluminium handguard.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top