Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2003 1:17:00 PM EDT
I want to add a m96 or similar to a 16" with 7" FF RAS type forend. Would rather not use a vertical grip approach. Want to be able to mount/dismount as needed which would make the tapeswitch a pain.

Can I fit the M96 on a carbine-length 7" FF RAS and still be able to use the forend? would a longer forend help?

Is the "click on tail cap" like the push button on the 6P?

How well does this tailcap work in a hurry under stress? I am concerned about missing the button with my thumb under stress and movement.

thanks

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got an M962 mounted with the click-on tailcap on my RAS-equipped M4, and I've got 4 ribs between the light and the delta ring.  Not sure if thats going to be enough space if you're not running a VFG.

The click-on tailcap differs from the standard SureFire switch in that you can click the switch and keep the light illuminated, as opposed to keeping pressure on the switch.

Andy
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I also like the 'C' switch.  You just reach up with your thumb.  No wires.  Don't have to strap a pressure switch on your grip, keeping you from quick detaching the light or grip if you need to (assuming you use more than velcro).
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
... both momentary and constant on. ..

Is there a surefire rear-button version that is momentary only, using twisting or something else for constant on?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
... I've got 4 ribs between the light and the delta ring...

I am now going to show my total ignorance (and I am on a consulting gig and don't have access to my piece to measure for myself).  What is the distance between ribs on 1917 mounts? (19 or 17mm?)
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
For many years Surfire promoted their push/ momentary twist/constant on tail cap switching to be superior for self defense. They went so far as to claim that the click switches found on Maglights and Streamlights could get you killed by giving you a constant on when you only wanted a momentary flash of light. Now several years later, Surefire is "upgrading" to the same switching mechanism they slandered before.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think that's strickly true.

The Click switch (SW02) is an option just like the Pressure switch (SW01) and the tape pressure swith (UUxx) etc etc.

SureFire is phasing in the Z57 Click switch onto the Executive Series models E1e & E2e. It is already standard on the L4.
I don't consider them to be tactical lights in the same way the Z2 or M3 are.

I have never been lead to believe that the Z58/Z59 Click switches (not yet released) are also going to be phased in as standard on their "CombatLight" or "Millennium Series" models (aka Tactical Lights)

Rocker switches have been options on the Classic WeaponLights for years and years.

What SureFire have done with their "Charlie" click switch is work with users to create a switch that minimises accidental activations of the click by protecting it with a rubber shroud and giving the switch a lot more travel before the click compared to most other click switches.

Phasing the Click switch as standard on their Executive Series is being done because SureFire are beig asked for it by Executive Series users.

The SW02 was created because certain Operators wanted it as an option.

Al
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I must admit, I was pretty turned off by the length that the Z48/49 added to my handheld lights.  Other than that, I like the feature.

Andy
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The SW02 was born to meet the requirements of some of SureFire's key users.

The Z48/Z49 is the same as the SW02 but with a different body style - it's a rush job to get a clickie for the "flashlights" rather than the Millennium Universal WeaponLights.

The Z57 was born to meet the requirements as request by many of SureFire's Executive Series users. The not yet released Z58/Z59 Clickies will be based on the Z57 design and kept as small as possible for the "standard" body models.

Al
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]
xyzzy45,

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “Can I fit the M96 on a carbine-length 7" FF RAS and still be able to use the forend? Would a longer forend help”?  If I follow you correctly, you are talking about placing the light in the six o’clock position, and still use the hand guard effectively for your hand, I would say no.  

I originally had a short KAC FF RAS that I wanted to mount a Surefire L72 visible laser on my M4gery.  This unit uses the same body and tail cap as the M95 series lights, which are shorter than the M96 series.  

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1193[/img]

As you can see in the photo below, this didn’t leave much room for a hand on the hand guard, and there would be even less with a M96 series.  

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1198[/img]

The alternative to this would be to move the light to either the three or nine o’clock position.  While this is fine with a flashlight, this is not desirable with a laser because you don’t want the laser off axis from the barrel.  My solution was to swap out the short RAS with a medium length KAC RAS.  This allowed the laser to still be mounted in the six o’clock position and provide a place for my hand.  See photo below.  

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1197[/img]

If you don’t need the light in the six o’clock position, you will probably be O.K., as long as you are running a vertical fore grip in the six o’clock position, so that you have something to wrap your hand around.  Hope all this helps you to visulise your plans.  If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.  

Regards,

-Matthew
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#11]
m4_a3: Thanks for all the great information and pictures.

My goal is to be able to use the forend conventionally--palm against forend--with the M972P in the 3 o'clock position and the thumb on the switch (left handed). I could also put the light at 6 o'clock and try to use the side of the hand. I don't want to use a vertical grip. I want the light on the forend not the barrel, as I intend this as a high accuracy piece and don't want the zero to shift as I attach/detach the light.  

From your great pictures and what you have written (thanks!) I will need a midlength to be able to have sufficient room between light and barrel nut for my hand to have room to grasp the forend, particularly in various shooting positions such as standing and prone, which sometimes requires different hand positions on the forend  (Please correct).  

I had hoped to be able to use a short forend (7") to reduce weight. Oh well. Now all I need is a lightweight, super-strong midlength 2" diameter FF forend with a 2.5" 1917 rail forward at 9 o'clock.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#12]
M4a3, about those rifles: clean, sexy, and laying flat down, just like I like my...[naughty]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As you can see in the photo below, this didn’t leave much room for a hand on the hand guard, and there would be even less with a M96 series.
View Quote

The extra lenghth of the M96x is ahead of the mount, so the room left on the handguard would be the same.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top