Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2003 9:21:53 PM EDT
are there any less expensive/equally reliable alternatives to the PEQ? I remember seeing one for 800 bucks but I can't remember the name of it.

Any info?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been running a laser devices OTAL for some time now atop my RAS. It's been fantastic in service, I've no complaints. Runs about $600 and interfaces directly to the M1913 rail system.

[url]www.laserdevices.com[/url] is the website.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
PEQ what?  PEQ2?  No you wont find anything like that as none are available to civilians.  However youcould go with a Corsak IR illuminator and IR pointer.  They would not be combined and would be a lot uglier but also under $1000.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]
OTAL will be your best bet at a descent price range.  It's a visible laser though I do think they make a IR one.  Only for MIL/LEO.  OTAL is the closest look to a PEQ you'll find and even then it is just barely.  More a function similarity than anything!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Why are Infrared lasers illegal? What's the big deal about them?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#5]
IR lasers AREN'T illegal, it's just illegal for manufacturers and companies to sell them to civilians - the government thinks you have no (sporting) need for them.

They (PEQ's and even the M6 with IR) come up for sale from time (and IR OTALs I suppose) by private sellers (have even seen them on the EE boards), but very, very rarely, and when they do, they are very, very expensive.  Of course if you can afford the night vision gear to see them (the good stuff is also really, really expensive) to the tune of thousands of $$$, then surely you can afford to blow a thousand or two on a good IR laser, if given the chance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#6]
OTAL's can be found for under $450.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:34:39 AM EDT
[#7]
think I'll go with a peq. anyone know what a good weapon mounted night vision optic is compatible with acogs?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#8]
You can put any of the PVS14 comapatable monoculars in front of the ACOG and it will work.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
What are the peq's and paq's going for now?  $2,000 plus?  I remember seeing a paq4c for like 2,400 I think!  Awhile ago.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Guys please use the numbers.  There are multiple devices that are PEQ or PAC.  Hand held pointers for commanders, units to light up a target for laser guided bombs at long range , visible lasers, etc.  The last PEQ2 I saw sold went for like $4000.  I have seen a PAC4A go for really cheap and PAC4C go for about $1200.  Prices vary wildly based upon whether the unit has a verifiable background or not (assuring buyer its not stolen govt property)
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:06:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Cripes!  As if it weren't bad enough bandying about a $900-$4000 rifle, I can't imagine how paranoid I would be worrying about a $4000 laser unit mounted on the rifle.  That's worth more than my whole damn SPR!  I suppose the civilians who can afford a $4000 designator can afford another $2500-$5000 for good NV gear as well.  Of course they probably mount that $4000 on top of their $8000 M16, then go drag it through the bad bush.  Man I want a duty weapon I can abuse without abandon!  I want a suppressor I can shoot in full auto till it melts off!  I just don't want to join the military to do it. grrrr!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top