Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2003 6:07:30 PM EDT
OK, recently I posted about not being able to install my M510AB on my 20" A2. Talked a bunch with my dealer and directly with SF and found that the M511AB is the light I need, not the 510AB. How I ended up with the wrong light is a long story and SF's fault, but I won't get into that. Unfortunately, SF is not currently making any 511AB's so I'm back to square one and really need help.

Here is the ultimate question: If you could put ANY surefire on a 20" A2 which one would it be and why? I'm open to rail mounted, dedicated forend, anything, I just need to find the right light. I'm a patrol cop and I'm working in the dark with no light on my AR, a situation that I've been trying to change since June, with no luck.

As a side note, would (or have) any of you put a 900 series vertical foregrip light on an A2?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the AR Universal Weapons light, fits on any AR with a Front sight post.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at the 962 or 972SU models.

You can bolt a piece of Picatinny rail from Falcon or others to your handguards and attach the light.  If you want a more robust system, an M5 RAS makes a great mounting platform.

Never thought of an M900 on a 20", but if you like a vertical foregrip, it might work for you.  A couple of pictures of a 972 and an M900 AB  [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=170004&page=2&w=myTopicPop]here[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Even on my carbine I get a large shadow from the barrel with my M900.  I would immagine it would be worse with a longer forearm and barrel.  Never tried it though.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Even on my carbine I get a large shadow from the barrel with my M900.  I would immagine it would be worse with a longer forearm and barrel.  Never tried it though.  
View Quote

I was wondering about that......

I'm definately leaning towards the 972SU right now but would like to hear other ideas too....
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If the handguard cap is the only issue with your current light not fitting, you could swap them by removing the front sight.  Not a difficult job, if you don't want to do it yourself, any armorer or gunsmith should ba able to do it in and hour or less.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't the difference between the 510 and 511
just the handguards ?? (round or triangular)
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Isn't the difference between the 510 and 511
just the handguards ?? (round or triangular)
View Quote

Yes, and no.  Both SF forends are round, but one fits the triangular cap and one fits the round cap.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a thought:

Do you still have the 510AB? You can notch a stock AR handguard to make the round 510AB fit into a triangular handguard AR.

Take a stock handguard and cut a small notch on either side like the pic below.

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/surefire.JPG[/img]

If you do this be sure to use a stock handguard as they are cheap and easy to replace. Don't cut up the Surefire handguard. The ribs on the bottom stock handguard will line up perfectly with the Surefire handguard, and there is still plenty of material left on the notched handguard to alleviate any durability fears.

Back in 1999 I bought a 510a for $150 from a local dealer that was going out of business. I knew that I had a triangular handguard AR, but I was willing to experiment to save myself a couple hundred bucks. Since then it has worked like a charm.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top