Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2003 9:47:05 AM EDT
I'm looking to get a Surefire M952SU for a rifle. I was try to figure how to determine the "right" length for the tape switch. I've figured out the center of the light mount will have to be right about in-line with my vertical grip.

I think the easiest way to figure this out would be to take a 6P I have and put in a weaver scope ring, mount it on the side rail, then use a piece of string from the tail cap.

Also, would anyone happen to know if the length of the tape switch includes the switch itself?

BTW, I've thought about other options like the M952P and M900. I really don't like the feel of reaching up with my thumb to activate the light so that rules out the M952P. Also, I can't mount it on the bottom rail - there isn't enough room. And, as far as the M-900 goes, I've already got a couple of these and want to go with a 6V light on this rifle.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:15:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The length UUxx where xx is the length in inches UU06 is the length of the cable and does not include the tape pressure switch.

Al
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The length UUxx where xx is the length in inches UU06 is the length of the cable and does not include the tape pressure switch.

Al
View Quote

Thank you for the reply but it seems you've  misinterpreted my post. I'm trying to figure out a way to determine (measure) what length tape switch would fit my rifle so there's no excess wiring. I already understood Surefire's model # system so once I determine what length cable I need, I know what the model # will be (e.g. a 4" cable would be M952SU04).
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea of the length you need so I answered your "also" question.

The string method sounds like a simple easy option.

The 'standard' length according to the 2002 WeaponLight Catalog is 6.5" for the Millennium Universal WeaponLights.

According to other lists, 4" and 5" appear to be more common.

Al
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally I prefer to get the 6" version.  That gives me enough to move my grip/light around, which also differs when I put them on other rifles in different configurations. Having a spare inch or two doesn't bother me, and I just tuck it out of the way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Personally I prefer to get the 6" version.  That gives me enough to move my grip/light around, which also differs when I put them on other rifles in different configurations. Having a spare inch or two doesn't bother me, and I just tuck it out of the way.
View Quote

That's a good point worth considering Mike but, for the rifle I want this light for, I might be able to get away with a 3" tape switch, maybe 4" tops. I still need to sit down and measure it which I will probably do tonight. For me, I'd rather by an extra tailcap with a longer tape switch if I wanted to use it on a different rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I used some 'stiff' but thin wire so that I could keep it in place....worked pretty good for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a good point worth considering Mike but, for the rifle I want this light for, I might be able to get away with a 3" tape switch, maybe 4" tops. I still need to sit down and measure it which I will probably do tonight. For me, I'd rather by an extra tailcap with a longer tape switch if I wanted to use it on a different rifle.
View Quote

Matt, I fully agree.  I only need the extra slack because I like to mix and match on a daily basis with my toys, er, I mean tools.  For a SHTF, Duty Rifle, etc. where I would not be changing my setup often, that would be the way to go - no need for extra cable to get hung up or fail on me.  Ah hell, now you have done it, I'm going to go get some extra pressure pad switch tailcaps now! It just makes more sense and is a little more professional.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ah hell, now you have done it, I'm going to go get some extra pressure pad switch tailcaps now! It just makes more sense and is a little more professional.
View Quote

[:D]

Look at it this way, at least you'll have spare tail caps that may come in handy in a pinch.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top