Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2003 12:02:17 PM EDT
To all of you who are thinking about getting a Insight M3, I'd wait unless you really need it.

I was at a Range Day a couple of weeks ago and was talking to the Sure Fire rep.  I told him that I liked my Sure Fire's and would like to get one for my G22 and replace my M3, except that I didn't like the permanent mount.  

The rep told me to wait until the end of the year and he basically hinted at the fact that Sure Fire is coming out with a new line of handgun lights.

I can't wait, becasue I love my Sure Fire's so much more than my M3.

FYI,
I also posted this on the Brothers of the Shield Board.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty vague hint.

I wouldn't wait.  

He didn't even explain why it would be better.

Is the new line smaller? Waterproof? Does it incorporate a laser or navigational led?

Surefire has to hint a little better than that to get me to wait.  Insight got the contract for the MK23 LAM- so obviously handgun lights and lasers are well within their field of expertise.

Surefire lights at present are not totally waterproof and are large compared to the insight X series scheduled to come out in November/December.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
OK how is this?

The new lights will not use xenon or halogen filled conventional bulbs.  They will use a 5 watt Luxeon LED that will produce 80-100 lumens with 3 123 batteries.  This means the bulb will never burn out, It will be brighter than the M3, it will be immune to recoil and will esentially never break.  

I am sure it will be bigger than an M3 because it will use 3 batteries instead of 2 but you cant deny a light that has more power and is unbreakable.  I am unsure if it will be water proof as current LED from Surefire are not water proof and I dont want a pistol light that will turn itself on if it gets accidentally submerged.  But if it uses polymers and is waterproofed too it will be the be all and end all to pistol lights.

Since LEDs are more effeicient with less power I am hoping a 50-60 lumen 2 cell light can also be produced with this technology.  It will have to be water proof though as I wont be purchasing a pistol light that turns itself on when wet.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#4]
"OK how is this?"

THAT'S MUCH BETTER.

I suppose that the LED means longer run time?
If that is the case it will be a hell of an improvement over runtimes of 20minutes to an hour.  

Waterproof that and it will be an end-all light.

[b]do you know anything about run times?[/b]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Its going to still be around an hour and a half, perhaps a bit more but not 3 hours or anything.  There is only so much energy in a 123 and it can only translate into so many lumens for so many minutes.  LEDs dont defy the laws of physics.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:57:37 AM EDT
[#6]
well based on what i've seen so far i will wait and see if SFs tactical LED is all that its cracked up to be.  There are apparently some focusing issues for example that might result in the light having less "throw", which for room clearing may be just the ticket for outdoor use though...  Also there is heat which can be a problem for even the 1W LED.

I'm hoping its up to their usual standards, a forever bulb with no fade to yellow and longer life that can take the shock would be great.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
More importantly, will they make a model with a remote pressure switch that fits a Springfield Operator? ;)
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top