Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2003 8:53:32 AM EDT
Do any of you have any comments on using IR flashlights, or filters to extend the range of your NV scopes. Im going to get a GEN 1+ NV scope that has an illuminator, But I was wondering if there are any benefits to these IR flashlights or filters for regular lights. Im hoping to have a range of about 100yds.

Thanks,
Chris M
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been running a Surefire M900 with turbo head capabilities in conjunction with a PVS 14 3rd gen monocular. I've found that the IR light works best in areas of total darkness such as indoors or in a densly wooded area. It truly is worth it's cost to me in illuminating these areas. As far as distance shooting with the set up the turbo head assy is designed to focus and direct the light to a much further distance than the standard 1.6" bezel. So far I've not had quite enough solid darkness to totally prove the full benefit of the system as it always seems to manage to capture some element of ambient light. But given what I've seen in close range applications I believe it should have some merit for total darkness distance shooting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The performance of a Gen 1 devices will increase significantly with the aid of an IR light.  In additional, an IR filter can serves as an accidental discharge cover in flash light mode.  

Nonetheless, Gen 3 image tubes are sensitive enough to sustain permanent damage when exposed to high level of IR source, especially in a small enclosed room under prolong condition.  Most instances the built in IR light that comes with NV is enough to light up a normal size room in total darkness.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Generation 1 Night Vision Rifle Scope and here in California it's legal to have them, legal to have an IR illuminator but not legal to have the two connected together [whacko] else you've created a "sniper scope".

The NVRS I have came with a diode illuminator which is pretty common. I bought the Surefire diode flashlight - the D1 or something like that.

Using the Surefire with the NVRS works - I don't know about 100 yards range but more than good enough to light up my fence line which is a good 90 feet away.

Using an illuminator with the first generation equipment is really needed unless you're bless with a rather large moon. The things also bloom like crazy when aimed at anything like a street light or car headlight making them useless.

I bought mine for Y2K and haven't used it enough to care one way or the other. I'm in a different pay scale now and would have held out for a second generation or third generation set of goggles knowing how poor even a good quality first generation scope looks like.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top