Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2003 5:51:34 AM EDT
Functional difference?

I've never had a problem with the Lexan.

Lexan might scratch easier, but it won't shatter like Pyrex.

Yet Pyrex is standard on more expensive models.

The only think I could see is extended run time - the lamps get HOT and Pyrex would take more heat before damaging.

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#2]
fight4yourrights-- like you said.  i have never had a proble.

but Pyrex? that name alone makes me tingly in my special place. [:I]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't see where it would be $20 better than lexan. It seems that's the difference in price between the G2 and 6P. From what I am seeing, the G2 is plenty good enough for riding around on my belt in a case.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Pyrex is tempered glass.  Lexan is a tough plastic.  I doubt you can get any where near hot enough to hurt Pyrex.  However there are some things that can fracture Pyrex that won't hurt Lexan, well probably scratch it pretty good but won't break it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Pyrex is not tempered glass. It is a phase-separated borosilicate, and the phase separation is what gives the material its excellent thermal properties.

jvn
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have lenses with both. The advantage of the pyrex is generally needed most with higher output units. SF used to do lexan and lexan only. I had a VERY early Surefire M500 system. It came with a lexan lens. With the high output bulb, the lexan got too hot and disfigured. I have a M6 with pyrex that someone accidentally left on. It melted the carpet it was standing up on but the pyrex is still perfect.

The pyrex is VERY tough stuff. The only time I have heard of it breaking was with some torure testing Size15s has done to a M2. He kept throwing the light over his house onto some sort of asphault I think. Eventually, like after the 4th time or something, the Pyrex broke. As I recall the incident... the light still worked! Gotta love the M2.

Anyhow, in addition to this, the lexan WILL get scratched. As it gets scrathed it lets less light through and the beam will become fuzzy. SF does sell replacement lexan lenses and I have replaced a few before on units that were just too scratched an hazy for my liking. Its not hard to do. But, the pyrex lens on the M2 I have carried every single day (bezel up and unprotected BTW), still looks smooth and shiney after I clean the lint off!!! [:p]

Pyrex is better >period< Its worth what they ask.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top