Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2003 9:21:16 PM EDT
Is the G2 the same diameter as the 6P?

I got the shock isolated bezel and mounted my 6P on my truck gun.  That leaves an empty spot in my spare mag/flashlight combo paddle.  Filling it for $30 is mighty tempting, but will the G2 fit?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The Bezel diameter of the G2 is the same as the 6P.
Other dimensions are very similar.

Al
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure which way/how the light fits in your paddle, but don't forget that the G2 doesn't have a lockout tailcap.  (If the switch end bottoms out in the paddle it might turn on.)

--Otter
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Results of my G2 vs. 6P compatibility tests:

1. A 6P bezel lanyard ring fit this G2 light just fine.

2. A 6P lockout tailcap did not fit. I couldn't thread the tailcap past the G2's O-ring.

3. I tried the reverse - put the G2 tailcap on a 6P. Doing this made it clear that the G2 tailcap I.D. is larger than for a 6P tailcap. I could feel no contact resistance with the 6P's O-ring as I screwed on the G2 tailcap.

4. My 6P SureFire tipoff filters don't fit the G2. My micrometer calipers weren't handy but a visual comparison with a 6P bezel shows that the G2's bezel is definitely larger in diameter vs. a 6P.

Fortunately, I had a spare 6P bezel just laying around, and the 6P bezel fits onto my G2. So this looks like one workaround if you want to use 6P tipoff filters on a G2 handheld SureFire.

5. The G2's bezel also works on a 6P if you want a polymer, anti-rolling bezel on your 6P for some reason (and don't use a SureFire filter).

jvn

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
4. My 6P SureFire tipoff filters don't fit the G2. My micrometer calipers weren't handy but a visual comparison with a 6P bezel shows that the G2's bezel is definitely larger in diameter vs. a 6P.
View Quote

This matches my experiences with using a G2 bezel side down in the V70 polymere holster.  It will fit tailcap first - but not lamp first (while the 6P will fit either way).

5. The G2's bezel also works on a 6P if you want a polymer, anti-rolling bezel on your 6P for some reason (and don't use a SureFire filter).
View Quote

And the Z32 anti-shock Bezel will fit on either.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
And the Z32 anti-shock Bezel will fit on either.
View Quote

So I can get the G2, it will probably fit tail down in my paddle, and if it doesnt, I can put it on the truck gun with the Z32 and put my 6P back in the paddle?

I'm in.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on what your "truck gun" is.

Light-recoiling AR? Probably can get away with it.

Shotgun? Probably a bad idea (esp. if you are actually going to live fire practice using the light).

The dedicated weaponlights have a rim machined at the top of the flashlight body that prevents the batteries from impacting the lamp during recoil. A G2 (as well as a 6P) lacks this rim. Lamp longevity can be compromised.

jvn
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Forest, you should give SureFire a call and discuss your G2/V70 problem. Knowing SF's customer service I feel confident they'll correct your problem.
View Quote

Thanks for the info B.F. - but it just isn't worth the time for me.  

Up till recently I had only used a 6P in my V70 - and I usually store my lights button down in it anyway; so to me its not a big deal if my G2's don't fit bezel down, I just wanted to test to see show compatible everything was.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps if I used a bigger hammer, I could have gotten my tipoff filters to fit my G2. But I couldn't get a filter to fit using reasonable hand force and patience.

Bottom line is that the G2 bezel has a larger diameter than the 6P, and it can be a source of incompatibility.

I personally do not want to stretch my gear and then have a fit problem when I try to use it on properly-dimensioned equipment.

I would prefer that the manufacturer QC their products and produce gear with compatible dimensions from the beginning.

A bigger hammer is NOT the solution.

jvn
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I probably will contact SF.

Even if you can get a tipoff filter to fit, that is only part of the problem.

I like to use a bezel-down kydex carrier for my handheld lights. I had expected that the G2 and 6P would be interchangeable, but they are not. If I want to carry a G2, I have to adjust my kydex carrier to accommodate the larger bezel diameter. Otherwise, the draw is unacceptably difficult.

And we haven't even discussed the G2 vs. 6P tailcap incompatibility issue, which sadly prevents me from using a spare 6P lockout tailcap on the G2.

As it is now, the G2 is relegated to home use only.

jvn
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top