Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2003 6:18:41 PM EDT
How usable is the OTAL when using NVG's. I am refering to the visable laser not the IR. I have looked at other visable lasers through my NVG's (PVS-7B) and they are far to big and over powering to use as a sight through the NVG's. Anyone got any experience with this.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The OTAL will be as bad or worse.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Ever see someone welding...

Seriously, the OTAL is VERY, VERY bright, and isn't designed for NV.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]
it most definitely IS very bright, as with all visible lasers and NV.  indoors and at close quarters, it's much too bright as many surfaces in the urban environment are quite reflective (painted walls etc).  however i have used it outdoors with my pvs/7b's very effectively for medium/longer ranges as grass, rocks, leaves, trees etc do not reflect as strongly and the 'blooming' or 'halo' effect is much lessened.  depends on where you plan to use it.
just my .02

cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, keep looking at the OTAL with your NVG and you will find a nice black hole on you tube.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]
....sincerely I do not see any reason to use a visible aimer with NVD ......

PP out
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
....sincerely I do not see any reason to use a visible aimer with NVD ......

PP out
View Quote

agreed, if you HAVE access to an IR laser :-)  if you don't, then visible is all ya got.

amuroray, i was also concerned about the use of NVG's with a visible laser as i had heard that using a visible laser could damage the tube.  i asked a few industry (night vision) 'experts' and the answer i got was yes, it's true that any concentrated bright light source can be damaging to the tube if exposed to for an excessive amount of time, but if using a visible laser, as long as it's not pointed AT the goggles, and is used the way it's supposed to be (momentary pointer for a second or two at a time), it won't hurt the goggles.  that's why i use mine carefully - outdoors, and at a distance where the reflected laser light is not overly bright and doesn't activate the auto bright source gain control of the pvs-7's, which help cut down on blooming if any, and accidental exposure to bright lights. if used indoors, then yep, it's WAY too bright and the gain control activates.      
of course, i may be dead wrong :-) but i haven't noticed any blems or dark spots on my tube because of the vis laser (fingers crossed).
cheers,
MM
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top