Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2002 9:37:50 PM EDT
Hi fellas! I'm totally new to the tac-light scene, and am thinking of getting an M5 or M6 Streamlight to fit on a RAS...I've got a pistol grip mounted on the forward bottom, and so the light would have to go on the left or right side...I'm right-handed, so does it make any difference which side to put it on? Also, which rib-number panel would I use to cover the unused rails?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Very good question.I wondered also after reserching i fount that either side.For example for right handers  with lights like streamlight M-3[ with out] tape switch they recommend left side so you can index on off with your left hand on the forarm i assume using your thumb.For guns with tape switch you see alot on right side.I see also alot with two lights on one gun using both sides.What i did was use the right side so while hanging from a tactical sling the light would not possible bump on my leg.It was interesting to find out at a night match recently that lights mounted under the forarm at a 6 O'clock positition in some siturations were blocked out by structural barriers and or earth works if targets appeared slightly above from shooting position.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Put it on the right side, your thumb can activate it while gripping the foregrip. (At least my thumb can) :) No need for a tape switch this way.

Oh, by the way, you can also use it just fine by activating with your fingers when not using the foregrip (conventional hold).
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If you do not use a foregrip try the left side.

When I was first taught how to use the M16 (taught as opposed to CF Instructional lessons) one of my instructors was an ex-Rhodesian fellow who advocated running ones index finger down the side of the handguard - which gave excellent instinctive results.
This gets a little harder on a carbine but still workable.  With a RAS/RIS and  Surefire flashlight you can either bump it with your thumb or the gap between the index and middle 'bird' finger.
With the M3 Insight/Streamlight you can do either method as well - it just takes more getting used too.

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll disagree completely & suggest to put it on the bottom rail, just ahead of the vertical foregrip a la Surefire M900 (just move your grip back a bit.)  That way you can clear around cover from both right & left sides & never worry about "covering up" the beam.  Just my .02.

Edited to add totally unsolicited advice: the Streamlight M series weaponlights are best served a pistol-mounted illumination tools, IMHO.  Nothing, I repeat NOTHING beats a Surefire on an AR.  If the Surefires are out of your price range, a TACM3 is relatively inexpensive option & gives one MUCH more light than the Streamlight M series.  Again, just my .02.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the bottom; same reasons.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see covering the bean as an issue since you should be far enough off the corner when you clear it - to each there own.

For those who like a bottom light the SureFire M900 does a very good job.

The one thing I agree 100% about with Spider is the M3 light is insufficient on a Rifle/Carbine.  I tried it as a weight saving measure to the Surefires and went back very shortly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see covering the beam as an issue since you should be far enough off the corner when you clear it - to each their own.
View Quote

That's a valid point - for MOST applications.  I'd prefer that myself, however some of the corners in my home are quite impossible to clear from a distance.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Seen,

However, [:D]

If you lean/roll your body over at the waist it will tip the weapon as well - and leave less of a profile exposed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, that's another great point.  I found myself consciously trying to keep the M4 as "straight" as possible (due to the M900) so as to preclude inadvertently hiding/shadowing the light.  (It also seemed to be an easier way of transitioning to my left shoulder if I had to.)  But in some corners I can only lean so far, if at all.  I find that one knee outside the corner to be a bit easier than leaning, though.  Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#10]
SureFire M961P mounted on the right.

Operate it w/ your thumb.

Put it on the left if you're a lefty.

Can also be kept turned on w/o thumb pressure and even taken-off the rifle if neccesary.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When I was first taught how to use the M16 (taught as opposed to CF Instructional lessons) one of my instructors was an ex-Rhodesian fellow who advocated running ones index finger down the side of the handguard - which gave excellent instinctive results.
This gets a little harder on a carbine but still workable.

View Quote

Can we have some details on this? Explaination? A little more info maybe? (Ooo! A pic would be great!)
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
the topic here is on the M5/M6.

I've currently got mine on the left side cause it's an easy flip with the thumb and it keeps the right side of the rifle free from clutter and other accessories (charging handle extension, bolt release extension, etc)...  I'm buying however, a CORE-mount from "Sidearmor.net" that mounts it in front of the sight post on top of the barrel.  I'll then use a pressure swith to activate it with velcro along the foregrip.  I'll run the wire around the RAS and wedge it between the panels.[url]http://sidearmor.net/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25_41/products_id/104[/url][img]http://sidearmor.net/pictures/RBA_OG-L1.jpg[/img]

Thinking about the path of the laser, it sits 2" off the barrel.  Zeroed at 50 yards gives you a 1" offset above the barrel at 25 yards, and 1" low at 75 yards...give or take bullet drop of course.  Makes more sense to me to visualize the offset vertically than horizontally...this topic was discussed in another thread not too long ago.  General consensus is though, that any 'shootin' you'll be doing with a laser will be under 50 yards, probably less than 25...so wherever you zero it...it should be fine...

Just my 2 cents.  Here's mine.[img]http://www.mattdoughty.homestead.com/files/Hokie-AR.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't see covering the bean as an issue since you should be far enough off the corner when you clear it.....
View Quote

Amen on that....

One question/comment/observation:

I am a LEFTY and I have a SureFire Universal Millenium light on the way. It will have the tape switch and I do not have a vertical fore-grip. My plan is to mount the light on the right side of the SIR, ahead of the sling swivel and run the tape switch on the left side. This puts the light on the "inside" of the rifle (closest to the body). My thinking being that this will protect the light against bumps and bangs as the weapon is slung across my torso. Is this flawed thinking or a seemingly decent plan of action. Although I am an experienced AR owner/user, I am completely new to rifle mounted lights. Please pardon the intrusion ;0
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#14]
[size=3][b]NICE TOPIC HIJACK...[/b][/size=3]

Quoted:
the topic here is on the M5/M6.

I've currently got mine on the left side cause it's an easy flip with the thumb and it keeps the right side of the rifle free from clutter and other accessories (charging handle extension, bolt release extension, etc)...  I'm buying however, a CORE-mount from "Sidearmor.net" that mounts it in front of the sight post on top of the barrel.  I'll then use a pressure swith to activate it with velcro along the foregrip.  I'll run the wire around the RAS and wedge it between the panels.[url]http://sidearmor.net/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25_41/products_id/104[/url][url]http://sidearmor.net/pictures/RBA_OG-L1.jpg[/url]

Thinking about the path of the laser, it sits 2" off the barrel.  Zeroed at 50 yards gives you a 1" offset above the barrel at 25 yards, and 1" low at 75 yards...give or take bullet drop of course.  Makes more sense to me to visualize the offset vertically than horizontally...this topic was discussed in another thread not too long ago.  General consensus is though, that any 'shootin' you'll be doing with a laser will be under 50 yards, probably less than 25...so wherever you zero it...it should be fine...

Just my 2 cents.  Here's mine.[url]http://www.mattdoughty.homestead.com/files/Hokie-AR.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Why would you want to put a wimpy pistol-light on an AR?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#15]
It's small, lightweight, a combo device (simple), and it'd light you up at 50 yards.  Plus, I can put a laser on your ass and draw a smiley face, all with the same push on the pressure switch.[:D]

That's good enough for me...

What's the light output on a 'notso wimpy' Surefire anyway?  Streamlight advertises 80-90 lumens.  I'm sure there are brighter out there, but the M6 is more than adequate.

Wimpy?  Whatever...you are a devil's advocate.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I would swear that my 6P and G2 lights (at 60-65 lumens) are brighter than the M3 I had.

I have a M900AB for my little 11.5 w/ FFRAS
 with the HO bulb in it it is doing 225 lumens. (125 with the lower bulb)

For my M4 I have a M962P/SU (I have the tail cap and the paddle - need the paddle with a M203) it does 125/225 as well.

FWIW 60 is a lower as I go for a handheld light and 125 as low as I got on the carbine (I always use the 225 anway)

-Kevin
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's small, lightweight, a combo device (simple), and it'd light you up at 50 yards.  Plus, I can put a laser on your ass and draw a smiley face, all with the same push on the pressure switch.[:D]

That's good enough for me...

What's the light output on a 'notso wimpy' Surefire anyway?  Streamlight advertises 80-90 lumens.  I'm sure there are brighter out there, but the M6 is more than adequate.

Wimpy?  Whatever...you are a devil's advocate.
View Quote

LOL,

Sorry, I didnt know the topic switched from mounting position to what kind of light.

Im just bustin' your balls! [;D]

Surefire? 125 and 225 lumens standard [:D]

That's enough to fry a retina into submission.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#18]
lol...re: the topic, good point, I stand down on that one, doh!

Uhh...btt...uhh...left side, definately the left side...

lol

[beer]  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Valkrye,

Not a great pic but...
I will ge some better ones when leave is over.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3116[/img]

mo4040
Ideally you want the light outside as it lessens the chances of you reflecting on yourself from a wall etc. but to each their own.

Spider, I try never to get any part of my body exposed at all - Some guys I did a Sig Tac Pistol class will vouch for that - as will some of the "cover" I blew away [:I].
but I might not be understandign exactly how you were phrasing it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]
i was looking at the streamlight m6 myself, is it worth the money, and what did you pay for it, and how bright is it
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I think so.  It's compact, light (3oz), has both a laser/light combo with both a temp switch and a permanent switch.  You can get a pressure switch for it too.  Mounts easy.  80-90 lumens...which is very bright, plenty to do anything you'd want to do with a tactical light.

Surefire lights apparantly are brighter 125+lumens, but they're expensive too, and don't have the laser to boot...unless there's some model out there I'm missing.  I think it's a good buy.  I've got one and I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#22]
414 for the m6 with lithium batteries is the price on the streamlight site, who else sells these
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top