Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2002 12:46:03 PM EDT
I looking into purchasing a Laser and its my understanding that most often they are not as visible as most would think they are, But my question is are they visible through a scope at greater distances?, and Is there a laser that is visible with night vision on, and what affect does it have with night vision will it interfere with the IR illuminator.

Thanks,
ChrisM101
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I looking into purchasing a Laser and its my understanding that most often they are not as visible as most would think they are
View Quote

I dont understand they are as visable as they are no more or less.

But my question is are they visible through a scope at greater distances?
View Quote

I am sure they are but why would you care?  Youd be using the scope reticle for aiming not he dot which is going to be way off target at that range.

and Is there a laser that is visible with night vision on
View Quote

Any laser is visable with NV on the visable laser will bloom into a giant glowing ball instead of a dot making it useless as a precision aiming devise with NV.  An IR laser will solve this but cant be seen with the naked eye.

and what affect does it have with night vision will it interfere with the IR illuminator.

Thanks,
ChrisM101
View Quote

You get bloom with visable laser and no it wont interfere with any IR illuminating tools just like visable lasers dont interfere with flash lights.

What kind of setup are you contemplating or are you just trying to learn about NV and IR lasers?
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Im contemplating using NV Goggles not a scope , and I want a laser For close in and some form of optics also. But the basic what works and what doesnt is what I wanted to know. And i think you answered that fairly well.

Thanks
CPM
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine who is new to AR's was looking in to infrared(non visible) lasers to use with his NV goggles. He called me today on basic AR options for purchasing his 1st AR. (I converted him.) During the conversation he told me that non visible lasers are completely illegal except for LE or military use. I was under the understanding that they are not illegal but since I have no interest in putting a laser on my rifle I didn't try to argue. Can someone clarify this situation for me? Sorry for the hijack.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A friend of mine who is new to AR's was looking in to infrared(non visible) lasers to use with his NV goggles. He called me today on basic AR options for purchasing his 1st AR. (I converted him.) During the conversation he told me that non visible lasers are completely illegal except for LE or military use. I was under the understanding that they are not illegal but since I have no interest in putting a laser on my rifle I didn't try to argue. Can someone clarify this situation for me? Sorry for the hijack.

View Quote

As far as I could tell when I was shopping around last year, it's not illegal for one to possess an IR laser. However, Federal regulations restrict their sale only to LE and Military organizations, so manufacturers won't sell to anyone but reputable distributors or dealers and legitimate dealers won't sell to civilians. I recently saw an disclaimer on one dealer site stating that they would not make sales to indiviual LEOs (LE or military organizations only).

About a year ago you could find AN/PAQ-4C's on e-bay. They were going for upward of $1,000. Even $2,000.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Correct.

IR lasers are hard to get. The manufacturers are not allowed to sell to the general public.

Funny, but it's not illegal for a regular Joe to own one if he can find one for sale.

There was a Hk Mark 23 LAM on Ebay the other day. It had both visible and IR on it. It went for over $1200.

Of course, it was probably stolen.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There was a Hk Mark 23 LAM on Ebay the other day. It had both visible and IR on it. It went for over $1200.

Of course, it was probably stolen.
View Quote

So much for warranty repair on a $1,200 "investment".
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, you guys are about as AR tech as they come!  Wicked stuff! COOL!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
found one, looks like the come from russia with no stipulation on who can buy one! I wonder how legal this IR Laser is? here is the link:

http://www.blackrifles.com/corsak.html
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me clarifiy a few points.  First the $1200 LAM is a light and laser only the one with IR light and IR laser as well as the regular light and laser is $2400.  So its not stolen.

You can buy any laser that is 5mw or under.  IR lasers must have a visable or audable warning to let you know they are on for safety purposes.  If you buy one they are not illegal to posses.  If you buy a military IR laser make sure it has the serial number to be sure its not stolen govt property.

The Corsak laser comes in IR and visable versions as well as an IR illuminator version(wide angle IR laser flashlight)  Its only $300 for the IR laser but the reason it is so cheap is that is not water proofed like the LAM which is why it costs what it does.  The Corsak IR laser will hold zero and is the best budget IR laser you can buy and its 100% legal.  Because of FDA regs its hard to get an domestic IR laser that does not have a LED to light up showing you its on (for eye safety purposes).  All cobat IR lasers are supposed to be covert so they lack this feature and they have to get special permission form the FDA to make and sell them with the stipulation they will go only to a Govt or LEO agency.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top