Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2002 9:27:37 PM EDT
I don't get it.  Why aren't the 500 handguard and 900 foregrip series lights black like their flashlights all used to be?  I think an M500A I saw a year or two ago was, but since most weapons these are going to be mounted on are grey or black, wouldn't you think they would want the aluminum on the light itself to match?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that SureFires are are Hand Anodised to Mil Spec Level III - a natural growth that is harder if it is not dyed or coloured which means it's a "Millennium Grey" colour. This can range from a very dark slate to a greenish hue - the shading varies from batch to batch because SureFire want consistancy of HA thickness and therefore performance in terms of durability.

Someone once said that Level II Black Anodise like that of the M500 Series used to be stood out much more when viewed through NVGs. HA looks dull under most lighting conditions compared to the more glossy Level II Black.

I personal like the HA (but that's beside the point as it's there for performance)

Al
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Surefire is ditching the old black finish in its military lights because the finish wore too easily.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top