Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2002 6:03:13 PM EDT
Since I can't find a "SEARCH" button on the site I have to post this question.

I'm interested in putting a light on my M4gery which has a RAS II installed.  I like the setup of the M900A, but it seems pretty pricy.  So, my question is this:

If I don't use a M900A, what's my best option for a Front Grip / Under Barrel Light combo?  I like the "round" broomstick style grip, and want a 125 lumen light.  What's my best option?  
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you specified you want 125 lumens, your only real option is Surefire. The Knights Armament Vertical grip or the new Duane Dieter grip should work well with one of surefire's 9 volt millenium lights...probably the M961 or M962. The Dieter grip appears to have a recess for the tape switch and cable,if you go that route,which will keep them from snagging.  I was in the same postion as you when I was deciding how to equip my SIR-M /M4. I knew I wanted a vert grip but also wanted the light at the 6 o'clock to keep smoke out of the light beam. I went with the M900a and have never regretted it, although it is a large chunk of dough to pay for a flashlight. Considering that a quality light, mount and foregrip comes close to $400, I decided that the M900 was not such a stretch after all.
Give Donnie at Sableco.net a call. He'll give you that best deal on whichever combo you decide on.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Initially, I had a separate RAS-mounted Surefire and Knights vertical grip.  Replaced it with the M900AB.  The M900AB kicks ass.  It is way more functional and "clean"--no exposed wires or pressure pads to mount.  If you can scrape together the cash, get the M900A--it's worth the cost IMO.

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=sharkman&album_id=102226&image_id=8&courtesy=1[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I've convinced myself to buy the M900A when I have some extra cash.  I think it makes the most sense for a lot of reasons.

Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Slightly off topic but just something else to consider...the M900 is heavy and therefore makes the AR feel muzzle heavy like having an H-bar.  It takes more effort to overcome the initial inertia and more effort to stop, analogous to shorter barrel shotguns that are fast for snap shooting vs. the longer barreled ones which are slower but better for encouraging tracking and follow through.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#5]
[b]"the M900 is heavy and therefore makes the AR feel muzzle heavy like having an H-bar"[/b]

as compared to what?
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
PPD,

Compared to a M4 profile.  I had a stock AR with a HBar that felt muzzle heavy, unbalanced.  When the barrel was turned down to an M4 configuration, it felt and swung better for me.  When I added the M900, it was like having HBar back on, destroying the balance achieved.  Otherwise, I liked everything else about the M900, especially its rock solid feel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The M500 I had before made the rifle very front heavy.  Too bad they don't make a composite M900 instead.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the M900 any heavier than a Millenium universal light with a KAC front grip?  If so how much?  I found the M900 to be quite light for what it is.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top