Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 8:13:08 PM EDT
I’m planning on buying a Magpul bipod to add to my RECCE build.

I figured I would ask before I officially add it to the rifle, is it worth it? I know a lot of experienced trainers say adding too much crap can be a hinderance. The accessories I’ve added so far are a PA 1-6 LPVO, Streamlight HLX in a VTAC mount, and sling so nothing crazy.

Do you like running a bipod? What are your opinions on the Magpul series?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
For me?  No.  Recce means walking, recon, assaulting and none of the equals bipod.  

Now, if you’re building an overwatch or DMR style rifle, then yes, a bipod.  Also, having a bipod might be a good idea in case you change you’re mind but I would not want one on a Recce style.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s what QD is for. I have one that doesn’t stay on my rifle very much but is available and quick to mount if needed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me?  No.  Recce means walking, recon, assaulting and none of the equals bipod.  

Now, if you’re building an overwatch or DMR style rifle, then yes, a bipod.  Also, having a bipod might be a good idea in case you change you’re mind but I would not want one on a Recce style.
View Quote

Those are good distinctions. I was looking through the 200+ page on RECCE builds on AR discussions here and I saw a ton of them had Harris/Atlas/Magpul bipods.

I think it would be good to have one for a DMR style and I could potentially utilize it down the line if I decide to build a bolt-action.

I suppose this would be a good time to ask, is there a point where rifles overlap between RECCE and DMR? I know typically a DMR might have a longer barrel than 16” and a mid-power scope, but I feel like the line blurs between the two at times.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That’s what QD is for. I have one that doesn’t stay on my rifle very much but is available and quick to mount if needed.
View Quote

I hate the added price that a QD mount would add. I know it’s probably worth in the long run though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a bipod that I sometimes put on the recce, but as a general matter it doesn't wear one. Imo a recce is meant to be a versatile, multi-role weapon - that means that it needs to be handy and light enough to move around with and work in tight spaces. With a can, light, lpvo, etc, it's getting heavy as-is. A bipod adds substantial weight in the worst place possible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I say run the RECCE without a bipod. If needed the magazine works as a monopod.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Do what you want, it's your AR.

I 2nd the QD for a bipod so you can put it on ANY picatinny rail. Also you only have to own ONE bipod too. Why not own a bipod? I like monopods too as the bipod/monopod combo works great for zeroing in any optic. Leave it on, take it off and do whatever you want when you want.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]

I was zering Irons in this pic prior to mounting and Zeroing my LPVO.

I have an MLOK /Harris bipod adapter so I can mount or remove the bipod when I need to...

Better to have the option then to not.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the magpul bipod.  It's light, and very durable for the money.  It's fast, and enables shots that would otherwise be very hard to get stable for.  Also, if you have to use your optic as a means of observation, you'll appreciate that bipod even more.  
It spins backwards too, so the legs are away if you need to put the muzzle though a cut.  
Ultimately, it's a $100 item that's good to have in the inventory.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Another option would be a grip pod. This is the Rodney Dangerfield version ,UTG which is actually very well built. It is QD, but doesn't fold.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a bipod that I sometimes put on the recce, but as a general matter it doesn't wear one. Imo a recce is meant to be a versatile, multi-role weapon - that means that it needs to be handy and light enough to move around with and work in tight spaces. With a can, light, lpvo, etc, it's getting heavy as-is. A bipod adds substantial weight in the worst place possible.
View Quote

I went ahead and added it. IMO I see people add cans and illuminators to their rifles. I don’t have either of those and the Magpul bipod is one of the lower weight ones on the market because of the polymer they utilize. I agree about keeping the rifle lean though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get the magpul bipod.  It's light, and very durable for the money.  It's fast, and enables shots that would otherwise be very hard to get stable for.  Also, if you have to use your optic as a means of observation, you'll appreciate that bipod even more.  
It spins backwards too, so the legs are away if you need to put the muzzle though a cut.  
Ultimately, it's a $100 item that's good to have in the inventory.
View Quote

Great username.

Thanks, I went ahead and picked it up. It was used for $75 which to me is totally worth it in the long-run. Looking it over I’m impressed with the build quality. It’s more rugged than people make it out to be. I know it’s built with more polymer than most people prefer but so are Glocks. I replaced my AFG with it so the weight added isn’t as substantial as I would’ve thought.

Someday I might end up putting it on a bolt-action I build so like you said it’s good to have on hand.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/ku4QIgI.jpg

I was zering Irons in this pic prior to mounting and Zeroing my LPVO.

I have an MLOK /Harris bipod adapter so I can mount or remove the bipod when I need to...

Better to have the option then to not.
View Quote

Looks like a great set up. I agree. I decided to grab it because at this point who knows if I’ll even be able to purchase one if I changed my mind a month or two from now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:37:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went ahead and added it. IMO I see people add cans and illuminators to their rifles. I don't have either of those and the Magpul bipod is one of the lower weight ones on the market because of the polymer they utilize. I agree about keeping the rifle lean though.
View Quote
It's fairly light, but literally any weight sticking out past the muzzle gets tiresome if you're spending a substantial amount of time with the weapon in a ready position/moving. Agreed that if you don't have a can and/or laser on it, the rifle will still be reasonably light. Though, be mindful of the extra length if you're ever using it in a shoothouse.

My recce wears a can 100% of the time and the last thing I wanted to deal with was addtl weight out on the end. The Razor G2 (non-e) is an absolute pig so I'm conscious of every ounce I'm adding to the rifle.

As with everything, try different setups and put them through the paces. Cumbersome stuff has a way of removing itself when taking such an approach.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's fairly light, but literally any weight sticking out past the muzzle gets tiresome if you're spending a substantial amount of time with the weapon in a ready position/moving. Agreed that if you don't have a can and/or laser on it, the rifle will still be reasonably light. Though, be mindful of the extra length if you're ever using it in a shoothouse.

My recce wears a can 100% of the time and the last thing I wanted to deal with was addtl weight out on the end. The Razor G2 (non-e) is an absolute pig so I'm conscious of every ounce I'm adding to the rifle.

As with everything, try different setups and put them through the paces. Cumbersome stuff has a way of removing itself when taking such an approach.
View Quote

Good points all around.

I’ve been attaching it to my rifle and I realized that if I install it far up on the handguard then the legs will extend to the muzzle brake.

I’m running a VG6 Gamma which has ports all over the place and the Magpul Bipod has a lot of polymer.

If I were to shoot off-hand with the legs up, am I going to hear the bipod up to the point of damaging and/or melting the polymer?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good points all around.

I've been attaching it to my rifle and I realized that if I install it far up on the handguard then the legs will extend to the muzzle brake.

I'm running a VG6 Gamma which has ports all over the place and the Magpul Bipod has a lot of polymer.

If I were to shoot off-hand with the legs up, am I going to hear the bipod up to the point of damaging and/or melting the polymer?
View Quote
I doubt it would cause serious damage...I had the Magpul bipod on mine with a suppressor for awhile and the heat (far greater than what would be generated from a muzzle device) didn't create any issues. Youll probably end up with a ton of carbon on it and maybe some surface-level pitting from unburnt powder, but I think you'll be GTG.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I have bipods on some ARs, but not on the carbines/lighter weight builds.

A properly set up/used sling or a rucksack does what a bipod does.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have bipods on some ARs, but not on the carbines/lighter weight builds.

A properly set up/used sling or a rucksack does what a bipod does.
View Quote

Shooting off a bag takes practice but I've actually become pretty good at it.  3/4 MOA at 100 with match ammo, and hits at 1000 with this setup

Attachment Attached File

Next on the list is a set of scope caps
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top