Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/4/2020 9:15:53 AM EDT
I’m in the middle of a build and want to add a bipod to my setup. Is the Magpul a nice option? I’m leaning towards that because I want FDE and I’m picky about my shit matching. (Other components are Magpul). Is there another brand that’s better that has a good match to what I’m building?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Some people are unimpressed with the Magpul bipod.  Try before you buy.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some people are unimpressed with the Magpul bipod.  Try before you buy.

View Quote

They are well made and designed for the most part in IMO, but I find myself preferring my Harris .

I think I mostly don't like the swivel, it moves too much in my opinion and you can't tighten it down enough.  Unlike Harris it locks out which can be a plus or a minus depending on what you do with it., It's handy shooting from weird positions sometimes
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two and they work well for me.  I have one on a MK12ish clone and one on a precision .308 Aero M5.  Some people complain that they are loose but if you use them properly and load the bipod when you shoot they work great.

The pan feature can also be disabled by loosening the main tension bolt and turning the mount 180 degrees.  I did this to both my Magpul bipods.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have several if then.  I would guess around 6 or 7.  I like them for the most part.  I have one Atlas bipod that is far more expensive and in some ways I don't like.  One thing I like about the Magpul bipod is you can just pull the legs down.  I use Magpuls on my hunting rifles for this very reason.  If you're in a position where you want a bipod over sticks, I've found it's less farting around to get your legs down and into position than it is with the Atlas.  I also like them over Harris types because I don't like the springs and noise associated with those springs.  I feel like whenever I've used a Harris style that I can always hear my legs flopping and springs jiggling,  I annoys me for some reason.

I have no doubt the Atlas is more robust and can take a lot more abuse than the Magpul, but I've not broken a Magpul one yet.  If you're doing precision shooting, the Magpul will work, but you can't load it quite like you can the Atlas.  If you're just blasting at the range or hunting, I think you'll really like the Magpul, if you're shooting 600+ yards for scores, you'll want something better.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one, an while it's different than the Harris I like it. It loads nicely and feels pretty stable. There are youtube videos explaining how to "lock out" the panning capability which makes it very stable.. It's also pretty lightweight.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input guys. Another question, the bottom of my hand guard is m-loc. Should I convert a portion to picatinny or get a m-loc bipod and attach directly? I see pros and cons for each idea.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
If you get a picatinny rail mount, you can put it on anything picatinny. This major difference will be the extra 3/4" of height added vs a more flush Mlock mount.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have two and they work well for me.  I have one on a MK12ish clone and one on a precision .308 Aero M5.  Some people complain that they are loose but if you use them properly and load the bipod when you shoot they work great.

The pan feature can also be disabled by loosening the main tension bolt and tuning the mount 180 degrees.  I did this to both my Magpul bipods.
View Quote

Oh shit, game changer lol. I guess thats what I get for not ever reading instructions
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I like mine
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you get a picatinny rail mount, you can put it on anything picatinny. This major difference will be the extra 3/4" of height added vs a more flush Mlock mount.
View Quote

Yes, that's the main pro I see. More universal attachment options.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys. Another question, the bottom of my hand guard is m-loc. Should I convert a portion to picatinny or get a m-loc bipod and attach directly? I see pros and cons for each idea.
View Quote

I always prefer to have QD bipods so that it can be quickly & easily removed and attached to any of my other weapons. I have a picatinny segment on front/lower portion of all my handguards. I'd get the Magpul 17S Style then get the ADM AD-170-S QD Base for instance. All QD mount manufacturers make a similar compatible mount and prices are cheaper if you shop elsewhere.

Now if you do this, you only need one bipod and it can be easily and instantly swapped from weapon to weapon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Magpul is an average bipod.  Good fir the price.  I like Tangodown super heavy duty and similar in design.  Next is Atlas and Harris.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:53:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the Magpul M-lok version mounted on a T/CR22 rifle.  That version has a Magpul stock with the M-lok slot for a bipod. It works great on that rifle.  Nice and light and easy to adjust.  And yes Picatinny would give you more options, but it’s nice having it flush to the hand guard.  I just bought mine a couple months ago at DSG on sale for around $90 plus shipping.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I like mine.

I don't have an issue tightening the pan and tilt enough to hold up a 12lb rifle

The only thing that is readily noticeable is the extra play in the legs. They aren't stiff but if you load into them the same every time that doesn't matter.

I've shot numerous .3moa groups off of a magpul bipod and any groups smaller whether off bags or leadsled I consider luck.

I consider .3moa my personal limitations, mostly set by using box ammo not equipment.

And that's my good days
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I have always used Harris and Atlas. I bought a Magpul to try for myself. It was serviceable but overall I just did not like it. For a similar price point I like the Harris much better. Harris is faster to deploy, faster to adjust the leg height and generally feels like a better built piece of gear.

I'm talking about the Harris 6-9 BRMS here.

The one advantage Magpul has is a direct M-Lok attachment which is nice.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one, I like the M-lok attachment, but the important difference to me was it does not have all the sharp edges I feel like the Harris does, which probably does not matter or goes unnoticed for others.

I bought the Defygear bipod ratchet lock which fixed my only complaint, the tightening mechanism.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I have two on precision rifles and my brother has one. Very happy with them. They are as stable as the Harris bipods I've used, with the bonus of not having big external springs to catch on things.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have one, I like the M-lok attachment, but the important difference to me was it does not have all the sharp edges I feel like the Harris does, which probably does not matter or goes unnoticed for others.

I bought the Defygear bipod ratchet lock which fixed my only complaint, the tightening mechanism.
View Quote

@billbotts

So how do you like the ratcheting lock?  Does it work as well as advertised?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Sold off my Magpul bipod.  Going back to Harris.
Harris is not as sexy as Magpul, just tighter.
I found the Magpul to be too loose.  The legs were always wobbly.  The tilt would never stay put, no matter how tight I cranked the knob.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#21]
They are good field bipods, not too heavy or bulky.
There are better options if you’re just dicking around at the range.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#22]
On the Defy ratchett Yojimbo, It is a lot more positive and made it easier to operate the knob and change things once I am already in any shooting position, that is all it really does.  Before I had it I found I was picking up the rifle and mostly getting out of position to get at that knob and get enough of a grip to make adjustments.  I like it enough that I got one for each of my MP bipods.  Feels like something that belonged in their original design.  

If you are never going to adjust the knob once you are in a given position it is probably not at all worth it.  I think there are people who lock it in one place and only adjust the feet, so it would do nothing important for them.

I often get into position for really long shots, like 1K yards, and then do some leveling, etc. so it is convenient to me for that purpose alone, even on the bench.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#23]
They are not very low profile in the folded position.

Also, caring about shades of FDE matching? Hahaha. OP probably has safe full of immaculate guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 Magpul Rifle Bipods on heavy (12lb+) .308 guns with no issues thus far. They work great IMO.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I have Harris and Magpul, both work as designed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:05:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I have two of them and they are not bad for what you pay.  Harris look to be more durable, but a lot of external springs and stuff on a Harrris.....

I use mine often and they have not failed me yet

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a FDE one on my KRG Bravo equipped Tikka. I am happy with it.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top