Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2020 8:20:04 AM EDT
I want to do a side mount sling on two A2 style rifles with round plastic handguards and front sight gas blocks.

The colt tactical side mount thingy is quite expensive at like $65/ea. Those are what I'm used to from USMC weapons, so I know they work well, but pricey.

I'm hoping for a part that is around $20 which may not be the same thing or a knockoff, but accomplishes the same goal. So a modern style 2pt sling can be effectively used on these rifles.

Open to other ideas that don't involve ducttape and zip ties. I've seen some guys run 550 cord through the sight tower, but never saw them get used during rapid fire where it gets hot so I figure it'll melt. Also not big on how that would torque on the taper pins
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Eagle industries sling is what you seek. It takes advantage of the current swivel under the barrel to turn it into side/top swivel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
550 cord with a double fisherman's knot and the sling looped through works awesome.

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Should be able to wrap this around the skinny handguards on an a2.

Blackhawk Sling Adapter
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't get you down to $20, but less costly than the Colt and saves you some dinero

https://charliescustomclones.com/front-sling-side-swivel-mount-stag/
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's not make this complicated.

The web sling locked down onto paracord is impossible to budge and it won't melt.

At the rear is a simple A2 stock sling adapter.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
550 cord with a double fisherman's knot and the sling looped through works awesome.

View Quote

Does the 550 cord hold up to the heat? I never saw anyone shoot like that (were pogs). The ones that did it only used it for non-firing training, switched to the bottom swivel for the KD range and table 2 is so easy it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Hrm.

Recently found a replacement thingie that replaces the sling swivel at the back of an A1/A2 stock with a QD socket.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00114gthm255/limited-rotation-push-button-ar-swivel-base

Found one person who modded such to mount it up front as well (basically cut some of the tab off and redrilled the hole closer to the cup so it wouldn't dangle so much).  Not having an A1/A2 front sight set up to check but from pix it looks like it could be used un-modded as well.

I've also seen pieces that snap in/clamp in/etc to the "triangle" of the front sight, providing a QD socket on the side of it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does the 550 cord hold up to the heat? I never saw anyone shoot like that (were pogs). The ones that did it only used it for non-firing training, switched to the bottom swivel for the KD range and table 2 is so easy it doesn't matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For practical use of a semiauto rifle? Absolutely. Fending off an outpost that's being over run in the Middle East? I'd probably look at one of the wire loops that sling companies sell.

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 2:32:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Specter Gear makes a good product, not too expensive and if you get on their mailing lists they have practically daily specials around $20-25.

They make several attachment styles, but here's an example: M4/CAR Sling.  Sling and mount $38

I have two of their slings, one the M16 style with front and rear side mount for A1/A2 stock, and the second is just the rear as I use a hardware mount on the front.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

This, plus one of their VS-A2s for the buttstock & DONE.  

https://www.blueforcegear.com/m-16-buttstock-adapter.html

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let's not make this complicated.

https://i0.wp.com/www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/20200119_190021.jpg?zoom=1.75&resize=340%2C191&ssl=1

The web sling locked down onto paracord is impossible to budge and it won't melt.

At the rear is a simple A2 stock sling adapter.
View Quote

I mean it will definitely melt there, done it. But it'll take a fair amount of shooting to get it hot enough.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#14]
GG&G makes one that fits in the FSB.

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top