User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend taking a Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC or TC3) class, or at least a basic first aid class that the local Red Cross or someone might be offering. Medical equipment can be a complete mystery until you see how someone with a lot of experience, like a combat medic, has used it in real world situations. As an example, the medics that taught my last Army Combat Lifesaver Course (a five day class) had ditched a lot of "fancy" gear and taught how to close and dress a lot of wounds using gauze, Ace wrap bandages, and 4" wide medical tape. They found that it was much faster in a combat situation to use the same common items rather than digging around for specific types of bandages or dressings. They also showed us how the various brands of chest seals had trouble sticking to sweating and bloody wounds and needed reinforcement to stay in place - like Ace wraps and 4" tape. I don't consider myself in any way to be a first aid expert, but I've had enough training that I've been able to deal with some relatively minor wounds (fortunately in non-combat situations) and feel like I have a basic understanding of how to handle more serious ones if I should encounter them.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I'd recommend starting with the component list for a quality individual first aid kit, like the military Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) or the Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit Now. Build on it from there with other items as you learn how to use them, such as an Israeli bandage.

The BFG advanced Micro Trauma Kit Now supplies include items that definitely require training, such as the chest decompression needle. Don't even consider something like that if you haven't been trained how to use it (no offense, I have no idea what your level of medical training is). I carry a Micro Trauma Kit Now on the back of my belt, although I bought it empty and then filled it with a combination of supplies I already had and some additional ones I purchased, following their content list and packing it as their video shows.

For tourniquets, I prefer the Tactical Medical Solutions SOFTT-W Tourniquet 1.5 GEN 4. The metal windlass helps ensure that the tourniquet provides enough pressure when used on large and/or muscular limbs. The buckle on this latest version is also really handy, because you can clip it around the limb instead of having to slide the loop all the way up it.

Combat gauze is great stuff for packing wounds to stop (or at least slow) bleeding. It's not cheap, but it's good to use directly on the wound, and then cover it with standard gauze or an Ace wrap to hold it in place. As a side story, I helped treat a couple people after a car accident on I-95 about four years ago, and an off-duty paramedic who I gave a pack of combat gauze to didn't really understand how it works. She said it was her first time using it, and she wrapped it around the injured leg just like regular gauze, rather than packing the combat gauze into the wound to focus its clotting effects.

Stay safe, and get some training on this stuff before carrying it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And while we're at it, what are you knowledgeable sorts carrying in your blowout kit? Which tourniquet, clotting agent, field sutures?

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend taking a Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC or TC3) class, or at least a basic first aid class that the local Red Cross or someone might be offering. Medical equipment can be a complete mystery until you see how someone with a lot of experience, like a combat medic, has used it in real world situations. As an example, the medics that taught my last Army Combat Lifesaver Course (a five day class) had ditched a lot of "fancy" gear and taught how to close and dress a lot of wounds using gauze, Ace wrap bandages, and 4" wide medical tape. They found that it was much faster in a combat situation to use the same common items rather than digging around for specific types of bandages or dressings. They also showed us how the various brands of chest seals had trouble sticking to sweating and bloody wounds and needed reinforcement to stay in place - like Ace wraps and 4" tape. I don't consider myself in any way to be a first aid expert, but I've had enough training that I've been able to deal with some relatively minor wounds (fortunately in non-combat situations) and feel like I have a basic understanding of how to handle more serious ones if I should encounter them.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I'd recommend starting with the component list for a quality individual first aid kit, like the military Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) or the Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit Now. Build on it from there with other items as you learn how to use them, such as an Israeli bandage.

The BFG advanced Micro Trauma Kit Now supplies include items that definitely require training, such as the chest decompression needle. Don't even consider something like that if you haven't been trained how to use it (no offense, I have no idea what your level of medical training is). I carry a Micro Trauma Kit Now on the back of my belt, although I bought it empty and then filled it with a combination of supplies I already had and some additional ones I purchased, following their content list and packing it as their video shows.

For tourniquets, I prefer the Tactical Medical Solutions SOFTT-W Tourniquet 1.5 GEN 4. The metal windlass helps ensure that the tourniquet provides enough pressure when used on large and/or muscular limbs. The buckle on this latest version is also really handy, because you can clip it around the limb instead of having to slide the loop all the way up it.

Combat gauze is great stuff for packing wounds to stop (or at least slow) bleeding. It's not cheap, but it's good to use directly on the wound, and then cover it with standard gauze or an Ace wrap to hold it in place. As a side story, I helped treat a couple people after a car accident on I-95 about four years ago, and an off-duty paramedic who I gave a pack of combat gauze to didn't really understand how it works. She said it was her first time using it, and she wrapped it around the injured leg just like regular gauze, rather than packing the combat gauze into the wound to focus its clotting effects.

Stay safe, and get some training on this stuff before carrying it.

Funny you should mention all of that. I've just completed a Red Cross advanced class because my job requires it. I'm also getting advice and training from a couple of EMTs, and ordered two of the Blue Force trauma kits. I added Quick Clot and am looking for the combat gauze. I may ditch the multi-tool on my carrier in favor of a Raptor shear, which does most of what the multi-tool does and adds a damn serious shear, in a foldable package. Or I may just use a knife to cut stuff.

Only one of the EMTs sees much value in carrying a tourniquet, but both schooled me on field-expedient tourniquets. I like the simplicity of the one you mentioned.

A note to all and sundry- most of this stuff can be purchased with your HSA account. Thanks for the guidance, sir!
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
https://acecase.com/magazine-pouch-6-pack-30-round-black.html

one of these in black would allow for easy carry of up to 12  30rd mags.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Funny you should mention all of that. I've just completed a Red Cross advanced class because my job requires it. I'm also getting advice and training from a couple of EMTs, and ordered two of the Blue Force trauma kits. I added Quick Clot and am looking for the combat gauze. I may ditch the multi-tool on my carrier in favor of a Raptor shear, which does most of what the multi-tool does and adds a damn serious shear, in a foldable package. Or I may just use a knife to cut stuff.

Only one of the EMTs sees much value in carrying a tourniquet, but both schooled me on field-expedient tourniquets. I like the simplicity of the one you mentioned.

A note to all and sundry- most of this stuff can be purchased with your HSA account. Thanks for the guidance, sir!
View Quote

I run the Leatherman shears and I like them but the holster has broken on me a couple of times.

You should absolutely make a TQ a priority, improvised tourniquets suck and don’t always work right.

When shit goes bad don’t count on being able to McGyver yourself out of bleeding out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ugh, no offense, but if an EMT told me they didn't see much value in carrying a real tourniquet, I would probably slap them, or at least come close to it. If I could only carry one piece of medical equipment, I would carry a tourniquet. When I was in Afghanistan, it was policy that everyone had a tourniquet on their person at all times. We kept them in a pocket with the red tab on the end sticking out the pocket flap so it was easily identifiable. If there's one thing that 19 years of continuous combat operations has taught us, it's that tourniquets save lives. I recall hearing that EMT and police officers responding to the Boston Marathon bombing were woefully short on tourniquets and had to improvise to save people with severed limbs from the blast. I don't know if any of the victims bled out who could have otherwise been saved, but I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt anything to have more tourniquets among the first responders. I think I own at least a dozen tourniquets, including SWAT-Ts (essentially wide elastic bands) for use on children or people with very skinny limbs.

As an unfortunate real world example, one of my friends died of his wounds about two hours after being severely injured by a suicide bomber. Although he ultimately bled out from a wound under his clothing that the Special Forces medics who treated him didn't see (because he had so many other wounds), they told us afterwards that the normal CAT tourniquet we were issued wasn't able to stop the blood flow through his large, muscular leg, which had been severed just above his foot. They recommended that we switch to the SOFT-T tourniquet they used with its metal windlass that I mentioned in my previous post, because it's more effective at applying pressure than the plastic CAT windlass. I can't imagine an improvised tourniquet would work even as well as the CAT in that kind of situation. My legs are similar to his, so I carry a SOFT-T for myself. I have one on my war belt, one in a low profile black Eleven Ten pouch for concealed carry, two in each of our car first aid bags, and a few more here and there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Old fashioned, but the USGI 3 pocket bandoleer works perfectly.  

Carries 6 loaded 30 round magazines and costs about a pizza.

It has tab loops at bottom so you can sew a strap or elastic if you are worried about it bouncing as you run.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/PzQAAOSwYgFaxSfG/s-l400.jpg

View Quote

I bought a couple of sets of these.

I thought the straps were a little narrow and might get uncomfortable, so I bought a couple of these slip on cushions:

Qishare Shoulder Pad Detachable Shoulder Strap Pad
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Back pockets?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
These "Bail out range bags" from Midway aren't bad.  They hold half a dozen mags and look more like a camera bag.

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/src/primary/437/437025.jpg?imwidth=2200

Black is in stock

Bail out/range bag
View Quote

These are well made bags. I carried one full of mags along with a rifle on a long hike on BLM - it wasn't the most comfortable for long hikes with a slinged rifle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#9]
@deanimator   I ordered up a EGL chest rig this spring when things started happening, long lead time but its nice.  Carries 3 AR mags, 1 pistol, 1 flashlight & 2 other pouches I can use.  Those will get firstaid supplies soon & then I'll be doing a class once I can find one locally.  I'm north of Columbus if you want to check it out.  I can keep my 11.5 pistol build & chest rig in a backpack for a nice compact go to hell situation.  Started packing it once the riots in Columbus happened.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I always liked the Eagle 3 mag AK chest rig.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@deanimator   I ordered up a EGL chest rig this spring when things started happening, long lead time but its nice.  Carries 3 AR mags, 1 pistol, 1 flashlight & 2 other pouches I can use.  Those will get firstaid supplies soon & then I'll be doing a class once I can find one locally.  I'm north of Columbus if you want to check it out.  I can keep my 11.5 pistol build & chest rig in a backpack for a nice compact go to hell situation.  Started packing it once the riots in Columbus happened.
View Quote

Thanks.  I've got three of the ones I indicated, two GI and one commercial, so I'm good for now.  Now I need to add to my stock of magazines.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the BFG ten speed chest rigs aren't bad. They are light weight and can store in small spaces.
View Quote

This or their bandolier! The chest rig could easily hide under a light jacket.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Check out the spiritus bank robber.  Low profile but can carry 4 mags

https://www.spiritussystems.com/bank-robber-chest-rig/
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Check out the spiritus bank robber.  Low profile but can carry 4 mags

https://www.spiritussystems.com/bank-robber-chest-rig/
View Quote

@DallasLooterShooter

That looks interesting.  Do you know if there are pics of it with the straps on?  I am just curious about exactly how it it worn.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@DallasLooterShooter

That looks interesting.  Do you know if there are pics of it with the straps on?  I am just curious about exactly how it it worn.
View Quote

Here's a link to a Google image search which should give you all sorts of examples of what it looks like in use.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#16]
While using a good quality belt, I clip on a couple of these while going walkabout around the property.

Attachment Attached File

They hide pretty well under an untucked loose fitting shirt.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#17]
the old nato bandoliers the strippers of ammo came on can be used as a makeshift mag carrierchest rig.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#18]
the old nato bandoliers the strippers of ammo came on can be used as a makeshift mag carrierchest rig.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
You can stow the surplus 6 mag bandolier in your get home bag.  
Usually I just packed ccw and pistol mags.  But times change.  

The old assault pack has snaps for fastening the bandolier in it.  
You could Velcro it in a civie pack where it’s easily accessed.
One mag in the rifle and one in the back pocket or on an SKD belt mag holder.
That’s a lot of mags. 8 GI mags.  Or 5 Pmags.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Any of you used these from WTF?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#21]
No I haven't.  But thanks for the link.  I'm very interested in their Turnkey Rig 03 for M4 20rd mags.  

I use mainly 20 round Lancers for my 300 Blackout and finding a 20 round mag fitting chest rig is a great find.

Most chest rigs are set up for the more popular 30 round mags, and the one I currently have requires a foam spacer on the bottom when I use it for the 20 rounders.

Now I can dedicate one chest rig for 30 round 5.56 mags and get another one for 20 round 300 BLK mags.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Ever thought of a small backpack? Like book bag sized

I picked up a new one at Marshalls, TG Max for like $30 that had molle webbing on it add a couple molle mag pouches and you have plenty of room.

I know the mags being on your back isnt the best for access. Get a couple belt carriers and switch out as necessary.

If you have use more than 2-3 mags to get out of an area you have other problems
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can get a USGI Bagazine Bandolier for like $10 right now

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/416DVhS%2BfdL._AC_SX425_.jpg
View Quote

This
search ebay,i got 6 nib last month for $30 delivered
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
While using a good quality belt, I clip on a couple of these while going walkabout around the property.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298778/20200827_151801_jpg-1565272.JPG

View Quote

@hoboninja

Who makes these?
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298778/20200827_151801_jpg-1565272.JPG

View Quote

I’m curious (I assure you I’m not being a smartass), why would you be concerned with hiding rifle mags when you’re walking around with a rifle?
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’m curious (I assure you I’m not being a smartass), why would you be concerned with hiding rifle mags when you’re walking around with a rifle?
View Quote

I'm not, but OP might be.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe he has a pistol/rifle that fits in a discreet quick access backpack, but he doesn’t want to dig out mags from it..
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Maybe he has a pistol/rifle that fits in a discreet quick access backpack, but he doesn’t want to dig out mags from it..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking that’s why.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://acecase.com/magazine-pouch-6-pack-30-round-black.html

one of these in black would allow for easy carry of up to 12  30rd mags.
View Quote

Came to post this. Made in USA
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You can get a USGI Bagazine Bandolier for like $10 right now

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/416DVhS%2BfdL._AC_SX425_.jpg
View Quote

These are good for the price, but if you use non-GI mags, the snap closure can limit how much flexibility you have for other mags.  Velcro gives a lot more flexibility on the top flap position.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just......no.  Where are they EMT's so I try not to go though there and risk having them treat me?

Our EMS protocol here doesn't even allow for the use of field expedient TQs, but we also carry quite a few between the Engine/Truck and Ambulance.  

I've got a set of Raptor shears.  I rarely carry them.  The pliers on my Gerber Diesels come in far more handy than the shears on the Raptors.  And there are trauma shears stashed all over our ambulances and in our medbags.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
These "Bail out range bags" from Midway aren't bad.  They hold half a dozen mags and look more like a camera bag.

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/src/primary/437/437025.jpg?imwidth=2200

Black is in stock

Bail out/range bag
View Quote

Not bad, I've got a cheap "1st responder bag" in my vehicle with the appropriate firearm. carrys six mags, bino's, flashlight, fire source, water, etc.

link
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just......no.  Where are they EMT's so I try not to go though there and risk having them treat me?

Our EMS protocol here doesn't even allow for the use of field expedient TQs, but we also carry quite a few between the Engine/Truck and Ambulance.  
View Quote

Back in the late 80s I took an EMT basic class and we learned about improvised tourniquets. Things have completely changed in the last 15 years. I'm usually way behind the power curve but I've had a SOF-T since early 2013. Over the years I've been steadily adding to my medical gear and now I have seven or eight CATs all over the house and in vehicles and among various properly equipped blow out kits.

I took a med class earlier this year and they said 100% of improvised tourniquets used at the Boston bombing failed.

Times have changed a long time ago, those EMT's are idiots.

B
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Black is in stock

Bail out/range bag
View Quote
Toss a Nikon or Canon badge on there and a "Press" tape and you'd blend in pretty well other than the rifle itself. keep that slung and you could pass for one of the press security guys doubling as a bag carrier. It wouldn't be a GOOD disguise, but if it gives you a few seconds... If you are at a distance and have the rifle on the side away from a group you might just get a quick glance and be ignored. Little percentages but they can add up and any bit helps if you're trying to avoid a fight.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I do as well, but want something less involved for AR magazines only.
View Quote
If the idea is to go low profile, than I wouldn't see the point to carrying AR reloads. You aren't going to get much more high profile than carrying a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a PIG UCR that carries 8 AR magazines and 4 pistol magazines. I also got the admin pouch and  back strap to make carrying the chest rigs easier. I order this from SKD Tactical years ago now.

https://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/07/skd-pig-ucr/
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#38]
This holds seven "topped-off" 30 round USGI mags.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's a little pricey, but it definitely meets my needs.  Back ordered, unfortunately... like most other things of any use.
View Quote

@deanimator How have you been on here since 2003 but have less posts than I do?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not exactly stealthy but these work and they are inexpensive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P40SAB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the other hand, if I am carrying my rifle in an urban setting, stealthy isn't exactly near the top of the list.
View Quote

I'm going with this one. Quick to don and doff. Simple and affordable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

^^This or THIS
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This holds seven "topped-off" 30 round USGI mags.

https://i.imgur.com/9zzcYje.jpg
View Quote

Can't imagine running and diving behind cover with something like that flopping around.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#43]
+1 on the Crye Mag Clips if you want something super simple and minimalist.

I’m not a fan of 5.11, but I carry one of these in my car, doubles as a grayman-ish sling bag or a discrete chest rig. Holds 4 AR mags and plenty of room for more gear. They also make a 2 Banger for 2 mags.

5.11 4 Banger

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Legit question here...when would you want to want to be all low-pro with rifle mag carry? Wouldn't carrying an AR draw enough attention that it doesn't matter? If the rifle is in a discreet bag along with a chest rig, wouldn't low-pro not matter anymore when/if you have to deploy it?

If you don't have your AR on your person at that time when trying to be low-pro, then why bother carrying spare rifle mags?

I'm a gear whore as much as the next person, so I'm hoping someone could help justify this for me so I can buy more shit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Just a meatball delivery....
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Haley Strategic Micro is the way.

If it's starting to look like 3 extra mags won't be enough ammo to handle the situation, then 6 extra mags probably wasn't going to handle it either and you need to be breaking contact and running away.

Add an IFAK and a CAT, put a handheld flashlight in one of the side pouches and a spare mag for your CCW pistol in the other. Fill the integrated admin pouch with a multitool, spare batteries, and any other items you think might be handy. Add a patch that lists your blood type and any drug allergies.

Edit:
And to reinforce what has already been said, being able to improvise makeshift first-aid items is definitely a valuable skill and a great thing to know how to do, but it's not a substitute for real medical gear. An improvised chest seal is better than no chest seal, but no improvised chest seal is ever going to be as good as a real chest seal. Same thing with a TQ, etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#47]
For anyone that's been waiting, Haley seems to have restocked several D3CRM Micro colors in the past week or two. Black, Coyote, Grey, Ranger Green, and Multicam Arid are all showing in stock right now:

Haley Strategic D3CRM Micro - $175

I finally sprung for one in Ranger Green.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#48]

I got the cheap Midway version, and a waist strap would by MUCH nicer to have, but it beats nothing by a long shot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#49]
a lot of good ideas in this thread
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Old fashioned, but the USGI 3 pocket bandoleer works perfectly.  

Carries 6 loaded 30 round magazines and costs about a pizza.

It has tab loops at bottom so you can sew a strap or elastic if you are worried about it bouncing as you run.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/PzQAAOSwYgFaxSfG/s-l400.jpg

View Quote

This is about right low profile, just load up 4 mags and use the third pouch for medical supplies.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top