BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/29/2020 1:24:13 PM EDT
Having been at least temporarily thwarted in my efforts to upgrade my A2 AR carbine to a more modern upper due to a lack of supply, I'm looking at other upgrades.

I'm looking for a quick and convenient method of carrying a few 30 round magazines.

I'm not interested in body armor, just a way to have backup magazines handy in an urban disturbance situation.

Do the PLA style AK chest rigs generally fit AR magazines?

Alternatively, is there something comparable to a GI map case that can be slung across the shoulder?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have LC2 suspenders and belt.  It's old school but I reckkon it will work if need be.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
the BFG ten speed chest rigs aren't bad. They are light weight and can store in small spaces.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Midway and others make a bandoleer style 4 or 6 mag purse thing. Or you could go "bank robber" chest rig for low pro.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep a Haley Strategic D3CRX Heavy (outfitted with AR mags instead of SR-25 mags) in the trunk of my car for just such an occasion.  It allows me to carry some extra CR123s, small flashlight, Gerber multitool, etc, as well

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have LC2 suspenders and belt.  It's old school but I reckkon it will work if need be.
View Quote

I do as well, but want something less involved for AR magazines only.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a decently stiff belt and put a few mag pouches on there.

I'm a big fan of the Esstac KYWI pouches, preferring the mids for AR type mags and the spaced pistol pouches for anything other than glock mags.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#8]

It's a little pricey, but it definitely meets my needs.  Back ordered, unfortunately... like most other things of any use.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Magpul mag coupler and throw a third in your pocket or keep it in a clip-on belt holder? That would get you to three for likely well under $50.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Magpul mag coupler and throw a third in your pocket or keep it in a clip-on belt holder? That would get you to three for likely well under $50.
View Quote

I'm looking for something that can be grabbed as unit with the rifle.  The Olongapo does that.  They're just out of them at Brownell's.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm looking for something that can be grabbed as unit with the rifle.  The Olongapo does that.  They're just out of them at Brownell's.
View Quote

Put the mag holders on a duty-style belt that either velcros or uses belt keepers to attach to a normal belt.  I'm not a fan of chest rigs compared to belt mounted gear as the belt mounted items bounce less while moving and are faster to draw from.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Not exactly stealthy but these work and they are inexpensive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P40SAB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the other hand, if I am carrying my rifle in an urban setting, stealthy isn't exactly near the top of the list.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Put the mag holders on a duty-style belt that either velcros or uses belt keepers to attach to a normal belt.  I'm not a fan of chest rigs compared to belt mounted gear as the belt mounted items bounce less while moving and are faster to draw from.
View Quote

I don't want a belt type rig.  I've already got a full set of '80s vintage LBE.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not exactly stealthy but these work and they are inexpensive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P40SAB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the other hand, if I am carrying my rifle in an urban setting, stealthy isn't exactly near the top of the list.
View Quote

I saw those while I was still looking for some kind of chest type rig.

For want of something else, I bought a couple of them.

I'm still hoping for the Olongapo rig... and a better upper.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Old fashioned, but the USGI 3 pocket bandoleer works perfectly.  

Carries 6 loaded 30 round magazines and costs about a pizza.

It has tab loops at bottom so you can sew a strap or elastic if you are worried about it bouncing as you run.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Old fashioned, but the USGI 6 pocket bandoleer works perfectly.  

It has tab loops at bottom so you can sew a strap or elastic if you are worried about it bouncing as you run.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/PzQAAOSwYgFaxSfG/s-l400.jpg

View Quote

I bought a couple based on 98Redline's recommendation.

They'll do until something better comes along.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Why not a simple courier bag?
If you want to get fancy you can velcro a couple of magazine panels inside.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I bought a couple based on 98Redline's recommendation.

They'll do until something better comes along.

Thanks.
View Quote

Just FYI.

You can load TWO of those 6 mag Bandoleers, plus two extra (loose) 30 round magazines in a standard .50 cal can.

That gives you TWO bandoleers each of of 6 mags (one bandoleer for you & one bandoleer for your significant other, friend, ect...) along with each of you having a loaded 30 round mag to put into the rifle so you can got from "0 to 60" in seconds with 7 loaded mags EACH for two people.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Kydex mag holders for your belt?  Raven concealment used to make some that conceal pretty well but require taking your belt out of the loops.

Gcode makes softshell scorpion mag carriers that you can get with paddles for quick doffing.  They dont conceal especially well, but they are handy.

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#20]
These "Bail out range bags" from Midway aren't bad.  They hold half a dozen mags and look more like a camera bag.

Black is in stock

Bail out/range bag
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
These "Bail out range bags" from Midway aren't bad.  They hold half a dozen mags and look more like a camera bag.

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/src/primary/437/437025.jpg?imwidth=2200

Black is in stock

Bail out/range bag
View Quote

That Midway bag isn't bad at all. There's even a Velcro holster you can buy to stick on the inside that holds any size gun and a spare mag. Besides the shoulder sling there's also a Velcro strap on the backside that you can loop around your belt to help hold it into position.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the BFG ten speed chest rigs aren't bad. They are light weight and can store in small spaces.
View Quote

I like the BFG rifle pouches and use them on my padded belt, they are light and as low profile as you will get.
Only disadvantage is if you want to stow a mag quickly and don't have a dump pouch.
They also may not hold up as long if you're going to actual war or something.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I keep one of these in the back of my Jeep currently with 2 20 round AR mags, 3 handgun mags and a basic blowout kit.  It will hold 30 round magazines but it won't let you velcro the flap down.  I keep it in there with the sling strap only, I actually cut off the molle weave straps.  Figured if I wanted to use them in the future I Could use MALICE clips.  

STRIKE HARD GEAR MOLLE POUCH FOR SMALL MAGAZINES AND CLIPS

It's current setup.

It's not US made if you are concerned about such things but for something that will likely never get used and will live it's life in my Jeep it's not a huge deal to me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why not a simple courier bag?
If you want to get fancy you can velcro a couple of magazine panels inside.
View Quote

That's why I asked about the GI map case.

The ones I bought should work until something better comes along.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the 5.11 four banger bag. Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Spiritus bank robber chest rig.

spiritus bank robber rig
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I prefer a belt. Chest rigs are too damn hot and constricting. The belt can carry what you need, located where you can get it. A tourniquet and aid kit are an absolute must in the scenario you describe. You’re more likely to need them than a firearm. I have a drop holster with an IFAK I wear on the inner belt. That way I can remove the outer belt and retain my sidearm and some basic 1st aid.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I keep a Haley Strategic D3CRX Heavy (outfitted with AR mags instead of SR-25 mags) in the trunk of my car for just such an occasion.  It allows me to carry some extra CR123s, small flashlight, Gerber multitool, etc, as well
View Quote

I've been looking at the D3CRM Micro for a while to fill this role, but it's been sold out everywhere for a long time in the colors I would want (Multicam or Ranger Green). I like the interchangeable magazine pouch inserts to accommodate 5.56, 7.62, or PCC mags.

About a decade ago, I wanted to try the BCM 03 MSF Chest Harness, which I had heard about from the author of the linked article, who I took a class with in Colorado. It looked like a handy lightweight chest rig that you could throw on quickly and add a few items to without being tempted to overload it. BCM had it listed on their website for years, but it was always out of stock, so I never bought one. It's obviously pretty dated now. They seem to have replaced with the various Haley chest rigs as the tactical gear line that they carry on their site.

I kind of like the GI 6-mag bandolier, but the drawback is that the button flaps are pretty tight and really only work with with GI aluminum mags. PMAGs or any other type of mags that are a bit beefier are very tough to fit in the pouches and snap the flaps closed.

For a heavier magazine "go bag," I really like the U.S. Grunt Gear 10/6 Mag Purse Bag. It's not cheap, but it's really well made, including the heavy duty padded shoulder strap it comes with, and they periodically offer up to 25% discounts on orders if you subscribe to their mailing list.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's why I asked about the GI map case.

The ones I bought should work until something better comes along.
View Quote

An old canvas GI map case I got at a a surplus store has been one of my favorite sling bags ever.  Would certainly work for what you want to do but everything will be jumbled up in there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Hawkepak what is now their Survival Kit

HAWKE TACTICAL ACTIVE Shooter Bag

https://hawkepaks.com/collections/rifle-bags-and-accessories
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought this.   Has molle so you can add pouches, etc

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3459406100?pid=798919
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Maxpedition Fatbox and Jumbo Versipack works well for me to carry mags and other items.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

An old canvas GI map case I got at a a surplus store has been one of my favorite sling bags ever.  Would certainly work for what you want to do but everything will be jumbled up in there.
View Quote

I've got one.

I use it to carry books and magazines if I have to walk some place, like when the car's in the shop.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've been looking at the D3CRM Micro for a while to fill this role, but it's been sold out everywhere for a long time in the colors I would want (Multicam or Ranger Green). I like the interchangeable magazine pouch inserts to accommodate 5.56, 7.62, or PCC mags.
View Quote

I was finally able to order one from Haley Strategic on Friday and I was going to point you that way but they are sold out now. I never got a "back in stock" email, I just happened to visit the site. Might be a good time to see if any online retailers were able to get any from this batch.

No experience with this rig but it seems like the right size for me. Pricey after buying mag inserts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#38]
it isn't the sexiest solution, but for a quick on and off way to mount an AR mag where I'll actually want it without getting kitted up with chest rigs, etc, I picked up one of these paddle mag holsters. I also have a double pistol mag one, as well.

I can carry other mags off body in a bag, but for low-key carrying of an extra AR mag on my person, I like this. It also positions it where I train to go for a quick reload. Plus I can just throw it on or take it off as the situation changes.

For an even more surreptitious carry of an AR mag, Crye Mag Clips can be used. I have them on mags for my trunk AR, so if I needed the gun, I can just grab an extra mag and jam in it my belt line or back pocket and it won't matter what pants I have on. It would also work for deeper concealment if you carried it iwb.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
it isn't the sexiest solution, but for a quick on and off way to mount an AR mag where I'll actually want it without getting kitted up with chest rigs, etc, I picked up one of these paddle mag holsters. I also have a double pistol mag one, as well.

I can carry other mags off body in a bag, but for low-key carrying of an extra AR mag on my person, I like this. It also positions it where I train to go for a quick reload. Plus I can just throw it on or take it off as the situation changes.

https://op2.0ps.us/original/opplanet-fab-defense-m4-magazine-pouch-w-belt-paddle-for-5-56-maganize-black-5-56-pouch-main

For an even more surreptitious carry of an AR mag, Crye Mag Clips can be used. I have them on mags for my trunk AR, so if I needed the gun, I can just grab an extra mag and jam in it my belt line or back pocket and it won't matter what pants I have on. It would also work for deeper concealment if you carried it iwb.

https://news.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/magclip3.jpg

https://www.popularairsoft.com/files/images/cp_mag_clip_03.jpg
View Quote

I've got that FAB defense carrier.  Works great and I use it quite often just because of how quick and easy it is to get on and off.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was finally able to order one from Haley Strategic on Friday and I was going to point you that way but they are sold out now. I never got a "back in stock" email, I just happened to visit the site. Might be a good time to see if any online retailers were able to get any from this batch.

No experience with this rig but it seems like the right size for me. Pricey after buying mag inserts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the update - I'll keep checking the site. To be honest, I shouldn't spend the money on one right now anyway. I have a good plate carrier setup that will hold me over until I get something "nice to have" like the D3CRM Micro.

You may have answered one of my questions though. I was wondering if the Micro comes with any mag inserts (like the 5.56 by default) or if you have to buy whichever one you want on top of the Micro. I'm guessing you have to buy it separately?
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Tagged for deeper research. I'm thinking about something that can be used as a standalone, or dropped over a slick plate carrier.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#42]
BFG Ten Speed or Spiritus Bank Robber.

I've got the Bank Robber in black rigged with the standard 1" straps, at the shoulders and waist.

It weighs almost nothing itself, and I can carry any combination of 1 to 4 AR magazines, 2 to 6 MP5 magazines, a premade Trauma Kit (like the one's NAR sells, I have a few of the IAK's and they stuff in an AR pouch nicely, especially the elastic kind like on the Ten Speed and Bank Robber), comms, gps, and 2x TQ's on the included shock cords on the sides. I've also stuffed water bottles, a flash bang, and other such things into the pouches no problemo. I've even used it doing back country hiking by taking the shoulder straps off and swift clipping it to my pack - radio, gps/flashlight, first aid and some snacks/water bottle.

Also, it can be thrown on over a slick plate carrier or soft armor.

If you can manage to wrangle one up, it's well worth the $50.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Swamp Fox 4 chest rig.  Simple, holds 4 AR mags, and has an open front design.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Maxpedition Fatbox and Jumbo Versipack works well for me to carry mags and other items.
View Quote

I've had the Fatboy for years and its just such a versatile rig.  I carry it when hiking with full sized pistol and some water bottles. Seems like every year I've had it I've figured out how stuff more crap into it. 3 pistol mags in the outer pouches and 6 AR mags inside the main one. Hell, its stout enough that it could also serve as a single pt sling for an AR9 or AR pistol while also holding mags.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was wondering if the Micro comes with any mag inserts (like the 5.56 by default) or if you have to buy whichever one you want on top of the Micro. I'm guessing you have to buy it separately?
View Quote

does not come with them, i got the 5.56 (x3). it comes with the X harness and a bottom strap.

i got it Monday and im very happy with it after larping around the house. doesnt sag and i think the inserts work great.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Old fashioned, but the USGI 3 pocket bandoleer works perfectly.  

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/PzQAAOSwYgFaxSfG/s-l400.jpg

View Quote

I just put a bungee on mine as a waist strap. I was given a couple and would keep mags in them for range trips.

Plenty of them on eBay
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:32:13 AM EDT
[#48]
SO Tech Mission Go Bag A1.  I have owned mine since they first came out.  About 5 years or so.  Extremely tough bag.  Very versatile. I have used mine hiking, camping, mountain biking, carrying extra gear, IE AR mags, med kit, snacks, etc.  i have gotten lots of compliments about it.  Not once has anyone ever asked me if I had a pistol or mags in it.  Most people usually ask where they can buy one.  They come in about 5 or 6 different colors.  I especially like the fact that the pouch pockets are inside the bag.  So you can't tell they are gun mag pouches on the outside by looking at the bag.

https://sotechtactical.com/products/mgba1
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Tagged for deeper research. I'm thinking about something that can be used as a standalone, or dropped over a slick plate carrier.
View Quote

And while we're at it, what are you knowledgeable sorts carrying in your blowout kit? Which tourniquet, clotting agent, field sutures?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And while we're at it, what are you knowledgeable sorts carrying in your blowout kit? Which tourniquet, clotting agent, field sutures?
View Quote

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend taking a Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC or TC3) class, or at least a basic first aid class that the local Red Cross or someone might be offering. Medical equipment can be a complete mystery until you see how someone with a lot of experience, like a combat medic, has used it in real world situations. As an example, the medics that taught my last Army Combat Lifesaver Course (a five day class) had ditched a lot of "fancy" gear and taught how to close and dress a lot of wounds using gauze, Ace wrap bandages, and 4" wide medical tape. They found that it was much faster in a combat situation to use the same common items rather than digging around for specific types of bandages or dressings. They also showed us how the various brands of chest seals had trouble sticking to sweating and bloody wounds and needed reinforcement to stay in place - like Ace wraps and 4" tape. I don't consider myself in any way to be a first aid expert, but I've had enough training that I've been able to deal with some relatively minor wounds (fortunately in non-combat situations) and feel like I have a basic understanding of how to handle more serious ones if I should encounter them.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I'd recommend starting with the component list for a quality individual first aid kit, like the military Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) or the Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit Now. Build on it from there with other items as you learn how to use them, such as an Israeli bandage.

The BFG advanced Micro Trauma Kit Now supplies include items that definitely require training, such as the chest decompression needle. Don't even consider something like that if you haven't been trained how to use it (no offense, I have no idea what your level of medical training is). I carry a Micro Trauma Kit Now on the back of my belt, although I bought it empty and then filled it with a combination of supplies I already had and some additional ones I purchased, following their content list and packing it as their video shows.

For tourniquets, I prefer the Tactical Medical Solutions SOFTT-W Tourniquet 1.5 GEN 4. The metal windlass helps ensure that the tourniquet provides enough pressure when used on large and/or muscular limbs. The buckle on this latest version is also really handy, because you can clip it around the limb instead of having to slide the loop all the way up it.

Combat gauze is great stuff for packing wounds to stop (or at least slow) bleeding. It's not cheap, but it's good to use directly on the wound, and then cover it with standard gauze or an Ace wrap to hold it in place. As a side story, I helped treat a couple people after a car accident on I-95 about four years ago, and an off-duty paramedic who I gave a pack of combat gauze to didn't really understand how it works. She said it was her first time using it, and she wrapped it around the injured leg just like regular gauze, rather than packing the combat gauze into the wound to focus its clotting effects.

Stay safe, and get some training on this stuff before carrying it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top