Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 2:24:18 PM EDT
I've had the hobby of shooting and collecting guns for multiple decades now and just being a range guy, I never really gave slings much thought. I've never been in the military so I've never toted a rifle any appreciable distance. I've become interested in getting a few slings and I like the simplicity of the single point attachment  sling, particularly the Daniel Defense buffer tube attachment. Are there drawbacks to this setup? I can't find a whole lot of information. Thanks for any feedback.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Single point is great for transition to weak side and great for banging you in the junk when you let go of it.

Take a look at the adjustable two points with conversion hardware...VCAS or Magpul MS1....basically they are great as two point slings with the ability to go single if you like.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Single point is great for transition to weak side and great for banging you in the junk when you let go of it.
View Quote
^^^ this.

drop the rifle and transition to your sidearm; if your single point sling is set up properly the rifle will hit you square in the nuts.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn!...point noted..."nip and tuck junk when transitioning to side arm"..lol. Though I've shot for some time off and on, I've never done anything drill related, just punched holes in paper. At times more more a gun "collector" than a "shooter". Just started kicking around idea of taking some sort of carbine course or just joining in with a group of guys that do that type stuff locally. So the itch for acquiring a sling started. Thanks for the info and input
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Also if you do not have control of the firearm at all times you are muzzling you lower legs and feet with a single point sling! Two point slings give you the option of releasing the firearm and your muzzle not covering part of your body!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That's an excellent point. I never considered that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If you attach a strap from one shoulder of your plate carrier to the other and attack your rifle to that so that the butt stick is just under your chin, that works well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
As has been said, a single point will bounce around and put a grip or a mag right in the balls. 

I only use two point... but I'm medium speed and moderate drag, not an Operator.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Edge Two-Point Tactical Sling

Cheap sling that works well. You can draw it to complete retention yet is has enough elasticity to push out and mount the rifle!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been lucky to have formal training from a few Green Berets, Marine Recon, Cav Scouts, PJ's, Etc.... none of them use single point slings. I know some celebrity shooters use them but find what works for you.

Personally, single points in my experience hit you in the junk when transitioning/going hands off, offer no support when going over obstacles, offer no support when sprinting, cannot be cinched down when shooting off barricades.....

If you want to "be dynamic" pull one shoulder out of the sling, keep it around your neck, and do all the shoulder switching you want!

If you want to try a good convertible sling to play with single/two point concepts try the Magpul MS3.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's an excellent point. I never considered that.
View Quote
the selection of a sling also depends on what your rifle configuration is, and what go-fast stuff may already be on it.  
for example, if you have Larue or other hardware with QD's, get a QD compatible sling (e.g. from Larue, VTAC, etc) and you are gtg.

otherwise, if you have a KISS setup, one place to start is an IDF sling from the likes of Zahal.  

there are a million pictures in this thread...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/304444_IDF-Clone-KISS-Carbine-Pics.html

e.g.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Stay away from anything with elastic or bungee. When you fight for control of the long arm, the elastic slings tend to pop back and cause the rifle to hit you in the face or mouth. They also bounce when running if you are not holding the rifle. I'd recommend the BFG Vickers 2 to 1. You can swap to single point for in vehicle and 2 point for everything else. You cannot shoot a 2 point strong side out a car window effectively. Single point has its place, but is very limited. Also not a fan of weak side transition if uninjured. That is not something for 99% of shooters, yet you see it promoted and trained a lot. Everytime I see people make thier rifle go down and be useless for over a second so they can shoot from thier inaccurate side to get an inch or two more cover, then make the rifle go down and be useless for over a second to switch back I want to pull my hair out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If you feel like you need one, just get yourself a 2 to 1 tri glide.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I used a Spector Mamba bungee sling and never had an issue with the gun bouncing or whacking me in the face. Then again, I never ran without holding onto my gun. The bungee allowed me to adjust for a little tighter carry configuration and stretch out to clear my gear when shouldering. A fixed sling had to be worn a little looser than I like to clear my gear when shoulder. YMMV.

Every single point I saw used  ended up sticking the barrel in the dirt if the user bent over or kneeled down when both hands were needed. Not always able to hold weapon under your arm when using hands. Reduces ability to use hands, sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Try running, climbing, or doing anything other than standing using a 1-point sling and no hands on the rifle. You will see why a 2-point sling is superior. If you must go 1-point, get a 2-to-1 convertible sling.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try running, climbing, or doing anything other than standing using a 1-point sling and no hands on the rifle. You will see why a 2-point sling is superior. If you must go 1-point, get a 2-to-1 convertible sling.
View Quote
+1   Find a good 2-to-1 sling and get the best of both worlds.  I have a Blackhawk CQD sling with the QD swivel mounts, but also clips to itself for a quick conversion to a single point.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#16]
You can't use a single point sling at Appleseed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Your balls...Hit them you will...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Single point is nice for range work, and we occasionally useful for if you're riding in a vehicle.

The end.

I find them to be an absolute waste of perfectly good nylon,that could've made a damn fine 2point, but that's one man's opinion.
Their list of drawbacks/limitations is lengthy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#19]
2 point is the only way to go.

I have a Magpul MS.....4.. I think.  That has  a QD option to quickly convert to 1 point.  

There are only a very few select instances where I think a 1pt may have a slight advantage but I never use it that way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Most people run a single point 18" too low. A proper rig mounted setup is great for a few things (stationary work) and can't hit you in the nads because it's too high and tight. Mounting it to the rig eliminates hot spots.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
"Single-Pernts" may look tacti-cool, but if you cherish your "Family Jewels", you'll opt for a 2-Point...the options are almost limitless.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Single-Pernts" may look tacti-cool, but if you cherish your "Family Jewels", you'll opt for a 2-Point...the options are almost limitless.
View Quote
That's true if your rifle is long, held too low and you're slick. With the rig mounted setup I've used its physically impossible for a suppressed SBR to reach your nuts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Never wanted to have my rifle sling hooked to my gear.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Never wanted to have my rifle sling hooked to my gear.
View Quote
I wouldn't for most things. But if you're standing all day it's trick.

I use two points.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#25]
You have to hold the rifle or it will bang you in the jimmies when you run
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Single point has its uses but a nice convertible 2 to 1 point sling gives you everything.
Why limit yourself
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Nothing like taking a knee with a single point and planting the muzzle in the dirt and the buttstock in the chin... good times!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Nutcracker.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Buy a VTAC, save the family jewels.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Single point has its uses but a nice convertible 2 to 1 point sling gives you everything.
Why limit yourself
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks,

I believe I will stick with two point slings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:18:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Single points serve the purpose of retention and hands free when STATIONARY. They suck at anything else.
2 pt slings offer you the same retention, will sweep to the side for transitioning, can be tightened up to properly sling on the back (making your life a WHOLE lot easier when moving for prolonged time), can be front slung or rear slung, can be used as shooter aid or not, and are otherwise superior in every single way.
It's ironic how after all the trends (especially the 3 pt, then 1 pt)... everything returns to the tried and true 2 pt. I guess they got it right the first time
However, I'll caveat that with my liking QUICK ADJUSTABLE 2 pts such as Magpul's MS1. Loosen to fire, cinch for back carry. Sling back to front, loosen up, fire. Repeat. Best of everything (quick adjustable 2 pts).
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Lack of control. Drop the rifle and you get nailed in the nuts. Then the rifle is swinging around since it's only held by one point. Take a knee... now your muzzle is in the dirt. Oh, you can hold the rifle out of the way, but if that's the case you would actually be using it instead of having had to transition to your sidearm. Or you're assisting another person, perhaps sticking a bandage or tourniquet on your partner or spouse. You can't just sling it behind you if you need to climb a ladder and it will still be bouncing around. At best it'll just be swinging around on your side.
You can use the technique of having it attached to your armor vest where it's almost in your shoulder to begin with, but then you have other negatives to deal with. Like it's pretty much on your firing shoulder and that's it. You'll need to detach it to transition to your weak side.

They are ok on very short rifles or submachine guns, but on carbines they just suck. A good 2 point has all of the good things a single point does without the many drawbacks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#34]
It’s already been posted 500 times, but yeh, it’ll neuter you real quick.

I have always and will always prefer a two point sling. I stay with Vickers or Viking.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Single point let's the rifle bang the shit out of your testicles and knees in real life.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top