Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2014 1:28:32 PM EDT
Is a sling really required and useful?  I am not hunting, or going out in a field/woods where carrying my rifle is required.  I would be using this for an indoor and outdoor range where a case would be required to bring It in. I guess if I had to head for the hills it would be good, but for normal use I'm not seeing the benefit of spending the money for one when it wont get used.  Or, would wearing one while shooting it help with stability and support?  I just can think of other things to spend my money on accessorising my rifle then a sling that Won't  get used often...but maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't want one don't get one. I got one as a "just in case" measure. Even when hiking with my rifle the sling usually stays in my back pack as I find it much easier to move around without the rifle actually attached to me.
If your rifle is just a casual range gun there really isn't a need any way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't want one don't get one. I got one as a "just in case" measure. Even when hiking with my rifle the sling usually stays in my back pack as I find it much easier to move around without the rifle actually attached to me.
If your rifle is just a casual range gun there really isn't a need any way.
View Quote

Ditto.  I bought an MS3 that is not normally attached...just in case.  When you carry a rifle for hours on end, it is a necessity.  I don't anymore, but you never know what the future holds.  Of course, you could fashion one pretty easily in a pinch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same camp. I have slings for "just in case". It's better to have and not need, than the other way around.
Edit: My HD weapons are all holstered or slung. For range use, I don't use a sling, but for all my HD ready weapons, they are all holstered or slung in case I need to be hands free.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 2:46:19 AM EDT
[#4]
If its just range use no. Its said that a sling is to a rifle as a holster is to a pistol. I have one fir each of my rifles as I have a holster for each of my pistols.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an MS3 on my AR but don't hunt or hike with my rifle. I keep it on for home defense and just in case scenarios. The last thing I need is to turn a corner and have someone be able to take my rifle from my person. Whether you use one or not is your own preference
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will hold off for now but appreciate the feedback
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have QD slings on all my long guns.  I also like having it just in case, and only takes me 5 seconds to detach for the range.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I also have a sling for each of my long guns. Depending on what I am doing and where I am shooting, freeing up your hands can sure be handy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I have slings on every long gun I have as 99% of the shooting I do is position shooting (prone, sitting) and I shoot "slung up".  If your a bench shooter I suppose a sling would be in the way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
They can also help with keeping you more stable while shooting. Probably one of the most practical accessories.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They can also help with keeping you more stable while shooting. Probably one of the most practical accessories.
View Quote

This.

My slings are a shooting aid first, carry aid a distant second.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Basic slings are like $5 man. Kind of a no-brainer.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Basic slings are like $5 man. Kind of a no-brainer.

View Quote

thats what i was going to say. i have 1/2 point slings for each of my rifles at $10ea off ebay/Amazon
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#15]
if a sling isn't necessary then your AR isn't necessary. Get the right tool for the right job, nothing wrong with shooting your AR from a bench but if that's all you bought it for then you bought the wrong gun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Magpul Ms4 sling going in the cart then :). Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I have  on a couple of mine.  You'll like it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You find any under $55 out the door?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I see slings as cheap insurance even at the range. Think what you spend on a good AR and what it would cost to fix it So for me I feel it is necessary.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately no.  That's about the going rate.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have about 5 nylon web GI slings, which are outstanding for an accuracy aid when you know how to use them, and great for over the shoulder carry.   My one VTAC sling goes on the AR most of the time.  Its less useful for position shooting accuracy, but a lot better for across the chest carry when you've got a bunch of other gear on.

If I were just going to the range to shoot off a bipod or sandbags, the slings would be completely unnecessary.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#22]
My rifle and I used to be the same way. Just back and forth to the range.  So I too thought a sling was not necessay.

That was until a buddy of mine asked that I go on a hog hunt with him and we humped 6 miles to and from the hunting grounds. After 6 miles of carrying the rifle, I really wished I had a sling. I bought one the next day and while the rifle does not wear it often, it stays packed in the rifle case. In now have a sling for each of my rifles, in their respective cases, "just in case"....

Get one, you never know when you might need it...
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top