Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2013 5:02:27 AM EDT
I've been using the cheap winchester basic muffs, I think I want to start using the buds that goes into the canal. Who name a good one?
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
custom molds and peltor shotgunners
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I use good quality earplugs, they come on a string and have a little straw like tool to insert them in your ear. Then I put on some earmuffs. It might seem like I'm over doing it, but I try and preserve my hearing as best as I can.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
surefire
View Quote

What's the difference between filtered flanges, full flang?
These look nice, do they hold up good?
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
surefire
View Quote

I was skeptical of these, but they work very well, even with my 11.5
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
surefire

I wear the mediums and they fit perfectly.
Go for the ones with the maximum NRR rating.
I never open the valves on mine but you may want to.

I got more than a year out of a pair, washing them occasionally and using hydrogen peroxide to clean them of wax.
Eventually the silicone material hardens up and they don't seal as well.
I just bought a replacement set from Midway for $10.

I like them a lot and I'll keep using the product.
Plugs don't interfere with rifle shooting at all like some muffs can.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool I was wondering if the plugs are replaceable. I think I like the ep8 or 9. It'd only a few db difference.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 6:32:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's the difference between filtered flanges, full flange?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
surefire

What's the difference between filtered flanges, full flange?

the filtered flanges have the plug you can remove to hear safe level sounds like voices and range instruction but still block sound above 85db the full flange is full sound suppression all the time like it would be if you put the plug back in on the filtered ones ... they are great when I took my chl class the instructor gave everyone a pair so no one could be like I didn't hear you cause my ear pro .I was hooked ever since I use the EP7 Sonic Defenders® Ultra   in the medium I just replace the foams when needed . enjoy
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cool I was wondering if the plugs are replaceable. I think I like the ep8 or 9. It'd only a few db difference.
View Quote

the ep8-9 plugs are not serviceable ep7 on down you can replace the plugs 8 and 9 are more of a through away model
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

the ep8-9 plugs are not serviceable ep7 on down you can replace the plugs 8 and 9 are more of a through away model
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This sounds gay, but I only like 8/9 cause I want blue
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate muffs for rifle shooting because they are in the way hitting the stock. For pistol.. well.. GTG.

I usually have a can of the cheap foam plugs in my bag for peeps that go with me, so they can use and toss. I tend to buy some nice gel in the ear ones from $2 to $10 a pop depending on whats in stock for me to shoot with. They are reusable.. clean em if ya need too and work well and dont get in the way when shooting a rifle..

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Tactical Command Industries (TCI)  in CA. Nothing compares. But...they are muffs. Love mine.

Go big or go home!
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tactical Command Industries (TCI)  in CA. Nothing compares. But...they are muffs. Love mine.

Go big or go home!
View Quote

+1...

TCI's 'DEHP' (a 'product improved' version of the Sordin Supreme) and SureFire plugs are my hearing protection of choice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
no way can i justify that purchase, maybe if i win the lotto  do yall actually have those?
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I use double protection. I wear the Surefire EP3's and Peltor Tactical 6S over top. I can still hear range commands but don't have to worry as much about someone in the lane next to me with a .500S&W.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Peltors and AAC Suppressors (when I can)
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
no way can i justify that purchase, maybe if i win the lotto  do yall actually have those?
View Quote

If you are referring to the TCI  modified Sordins, then yes, I do have them. And yes, they are not
cheap, but, they will  last a very, very long time.

I had a set of stock Sordin Supreme earpro and they lasted 8 years (thru a lot of carbine and pistol courses), only to succumb to moisture (sweat) corroding the circuit boards.

The TCI modified Sordin sets have waterproofed internals, so, they should last even longer.

Look at it this way:

The TCI DEHP earpro is about $300 (when you include shipping). If they last 10 years, that's $30/year for some really great earpro.
I know folks that spend over $30 per week at Starbucks.

If all you are doing is going plinking and casual shooting, then a set of Peltor Tac 6s earpro or the Howard Leights should be fine.

However, if you train like I do, then you want to invest in some good, rugged earpro that will last.

Everyone's situation is different.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
surefire

They hold up great.  Used a pair of EP4 for a year in Afghanistan.  I'm still using the same ones since I've been back in Jan.  Don't expect to actually hear quiet sounds with the little plug out though.  I still had difficulty hearing conversation level sounds.  If I can scrounge up some money I want to try the Etymotic electronic ear plugs.

I don't use muffs when shooting rifle, but when I shoot pistols I use Peltor Comtac II.  I have no complaints about my Peltors.  They always work, batteries last a while, noise cancellation works.  It even works well when there's loud background noises like standing near a generator or flying in a helicopter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#20]
sordin supreme pro x w/ gel muffs: the best ear pro $ can buy
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I used the Surefire plugs for a long time and the are great. But....I just got a set of the TCI DEHP with the gel seals and they are the heat....if you want active hearpro they are the best.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#23]
This is what I use, gives me nice protection plus almost super human hearing lol.
Howard Leight Impact Sport.

http://i40.tinypic.com/24qn58y.jpg
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is what I use, gives me nice protection plus almost super human hearing lol.

View Quote

I use those too. It gets interesting at the range some times when you can hear every word people are saying even when they are whispering at the far end of the lanes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I use those too. It gets interesting at the range some times when you can hear every word people are saying even when they are whispering at the far end of the lanes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+2.  Indoors or outdoors.  Indoor, I use them with batteries to drown out the high db.  Outdoors, works straight.  Works great for me.  Hearing disability.  I am already close to deaf on my left side.  Right side is midway there.  Heck, when I whisper, my family thinks I am yelling.  LOL.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like these as well.  Thanks to this thread I am going to try out the Surefire EP7's.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I use a combination of Surefire plugs with the flanges open with Impact electronic muffs over top with the volume cranked up.  You can still hear people talking just fine but you are still protected with a loud Comp going off next to you.  At least for me the muffs by themselves aren't enough.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#28]
MSA Sordin Supreme and Surefire or custom plugs
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Pelter Comtacs
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#31]
SF with the foam tips. The flange ones sucked when shifting my head.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I use a combination of Surefire plugs with the flanges open with Impact electronic muffs over top with the volume cranked up.  You can still hear people talking just fine but you are still protected with a loud Comp going off next to you.  At least for me the muffs by themselves aren't enough.
View Quote

+1

I do the exact same thing.  Surefire plugs under Howard Leight Impact Sports muffs.  Indoors I always Double up and it works especially nice on an indoor range that allows rifles where just plugs or muffs don't seem enough.  Outdoors I'll often just go with the plugs if I'm shooting a rifle or just the muffs if I'm shooting a pistol, depending on how many shooters there are near me and what they are shooting.  The Howard Leight model has a thin enough profile that even shooting a rifle its not TOO bad.  They still get in the way, but not as bad as some others I've tried.  Its really a win-win though.  Both the Surefire plugs and the Howard Leight muffs are fairly inexpensive and it allows you to configure your hearing pro depending on where you are and the situation.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Go big or go home!
View Quote

I just ordered a pair because of you...you....people.

Bastards!

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#34]
When indoors I double up with the Surefire EPs and Peltor Tactical Sports w/ the gel seals.
When outdoors just the Peltors.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I like these as well.  Thanks to this thread I am going to try out the Surefire EP7's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just bought a set of these and will be buying a set of SF7's after reading this thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Currently the ear plugs I borrow from work but I want to get a good set of muffs soon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I upgraded to the foam Surefire plugs.

Comfortable.

Also regarding the DEHP. TCI had a crazy sale one year for a holiday. IIRC they were like 200 bucks, maybe even less. Hoping to pick one up the next time they do another sale!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Peltor combat arms earplugs. :) used em when i shot 155mm howitzers in the corps back in the day. I have worn them for many many hours (yellow sides) and never had to remove them. You can still hear your guys without screaming, and they are comfortable! I still have decent hearing and, i think howitzers are the ultimate test of "NOISE" and hearing protection. I am on my 2nd pair since 2005.
Peltor 97079 combat arms
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top