Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2013 3:57:33 AM EDT
I have been looking at getting a Grip Pod for a while and what has been holding me back is the $125+ price tag that comes with the item. Has anyone had any experiences with Grip Pod?

Steel Leg Grip Pod
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The only time I really used it was at the range when I was deployed so I didn't have to set my rifle on the ground. To me it's not worth how far they stick out.  I have a couple and they're all sitting in my parts box. If you really want one, you can pick one up on the EE for a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Its is one of those things that does multiple things, but nothing extremely well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Its is one of those things that does multiple things, but nothing extremely well.

This is true.

To fit the legs up inside, it ends up being very long. Too long for my taste.

In my opinion, it would make sense on a fully-automatic rifle for prone use; but they're too heavy and too big for a semi-auto rifle. Just my opinion after using one for a while. I went back to a standard 'broomhandle' VFG, and now I use the Magpul MOE VFG.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true.

To fit the legs up inside, it ends up being very long. Too long for my taste.

In my opinion, it would make sense on a fully-automatic rifle for prone use; but they're too heavy and too big for a semi-auto rifle. Just my opinion after using one for a while. I went back to a standard 'broomhandle' VFG, and now I use the Magpul MOE VFG.

I had one of the MIL models in tan with the steel legs. They are long and the legs are sometimes to short when you want to shoot upward. It was to blocky for my grip style too. A good solid VFG but not for me.

I sold it and now use a Troy modular grip converted to a stubby.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
way too big and heavy for an AR-15 in my opinion. If you find yourself shooting prone a lot then it IS an amazing feature. I took mine off and replaced it with this $50 jammy thats more compact, solid, and more applicable in a home defense situation:
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's not a precision-built AR for long range (500+ yards) then skip a bipod. It's just added, unnecessary weight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:04:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
way too big and heavy for an AR-15 in my opinion. If you find yourself shooting prone a lot then it IS an amazing feature. I took mine off and replaced it with this $50 jammy thats more compact, solid, and more applicable in a home defense situation:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Aim-Sports-Aluminum-ForeGrip-Tactical-Grip-Light-180-LUMEN-LED-Flashlight-/00/s/NDAwWDIwMw==/$(KGrHqRHJCUE63(+v,LsBO1WVncHGQ~~60_35.JPG

And for the love of God don't buy ^this^ POS either...

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Aim-Sports-Aluminum-ForeGrip-Tactical-Grip-Light-180-LUMEN-LED-Flashlight-/00/s/NDAwWDIwMw==/$(KGrHqRHJCUE63(+v,LsBO1WVncHGQ~~60_35.JPG

It is a POS. I bought it years ago off ebay and it just sat in a parts box full of regret. Since I have put it on my rife though I have dropped it MANY times and it still works as new. It is solid aluminum not plastic. The only complaint I have is that the stupid thumbscrew will loosen by itself after abuse/time. Definitely not high quality but for $50 it is amazing
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#9]
My thoughts were this as well. It's not going to be precision rifle, and the weight/height was pushing me to the don't buy category. Thanks for the input guys, always appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a POS. I bought it years ago off ebay and it just sat in a parts box full of regret. Since I have put it on my rife though I have dropped it MANY times and it still works as new. It is solid aluminum not plastic. The only complaint I have is that the stupid thumbscrew will loosen by itself after abuse/time. Definitely not high quality but for $50 it is amazing

I was just busting your balls... I only trust my life to proven products. But hey, if it hasn't given you any reason to distrust it, then go for it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My thoughts were this as well. It's not going to be precision rifle, and the weight/height was pushing me to the don't buy category. Thanks for the input guys, always appreciated.

I think you would be shocked at how well you can hit out to 300-400 without a bipod.

If you are trying to build a light weight weapon, then skip the bipod. You might as well skip VFG as well. Get a finger stop and be done with it.

(Gratuitous light weight build pic)

I can easily hit out to 400+ with this build without a bipod. Light weight DD bbl, etc.

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I own several of them, and they are worth their weight in gold IMHO.  They are a bit longer than lots of the other vertical grips out there but it doesn't bother me at all.  No the bipod function isn't as good as my swiveling Harris, but it's lighter and serves two purposes.  I won't be w/o them on guns I actually carry around outside, they're unbelievably handy for longer shots.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#13]
They're great for standing your rifle up when you sit down at the chow hall to eat.

That's the only use I've found for them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#14]
They are gay.

We take shots out to 600 yds in competition with 16" AR's and nobody uses a bipod.

Just like so many items, it just adds weight and gets in the way.  KISS principle wins again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#15]
The Grippod is probably the most elegant, intuitive, and graceful solution to a problem that I never have.

I swear they must be useful for something, but I can't seem to keep mine on rifles for more than a couple of days before I get fed up with them and take them back off.  

They're a crappy VFG, regardless of the technique you use, even when "choking the chicken" the boxy mounting interface places your hand too far below the center of gravity.

As a bipod, again, they're sub-standard.  They're long and unweildy in almost every situation.  Transitions between multiple targets are harder with it than they would be without.  

Yet, I can't bring myself to get rid of them, because they seem like such a simple and well executed concept...  just not useful...  In all fairness, mine were "gratis," so to speak, so I was never out any money on them, other than the usual, obviously.  

If I have the option - I'm going to shoot from the prone.  However, I find the least POI shift and the most speed and flexibility shooting from a monopoded thirty rounder.  

If pulling security or in a hide or a support by fire position, I have a Harris BRM-S 6-9" in a LaRue mount in my assault pack.    

They do, however, make for good kickstands in the DFAC, as others have mentioned.  Have you ever seen a DFAC floor?  

ETA: come to think of it - I do think the longest time I may have ever had one mounted continuously without removal was while transient through Man-Ass en route to theater...  

~Augee
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top