Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2013 5:49:47 PM EDT
I have a Ruger SR 556 and am not sure if this sling will work for me or not. "Blackhawk 1 point STORM SLING" "  I am 6' and cannot seem to find a good place to put it.  Everything seems to make it damn near drag the ground unless I just cannot figure out how to adjust it small enough.  I believe if the adjusted part is of equal length then it is as small as it will go a but am not sure.  No where on the rifle seems to be a good place to mount it.  I was thinking I could use a quick detach just in front of the mag well but that may have issues with being in the way or interfering with reloading and such.

I would love and appreciate any photos or descriptions of how anyone carries the Ruger SR-556 with a single point sling and what kind they use.  Please be as specific as possible and include picts if you have them so I can see what it will look and or fit like before I dump my hard earned money into it.  Times are tough but I figure a sling is a essential piece of equipment.

Maybe I should just go with a 2 pint neoprene sling like I do with my hunting weapons?

Again any and all advice pictures or opinions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Single point slings have alot of downsides. That dangle your having problems with is a big one.

I find single points to have a very narrow niche. Cqb where transitions to side arm matter. House clearing.

retention is not as good as a two point. Two points can be used to add stability.

The vtac and the vcas are easily adjustable on the fly.  With mash or hk hooks you could even swing the front end to the back and have a pseudo single point.

With the hundreds of mounting options out there there i fail to see why someone couldn't make a two point work.

And don't fixate on the fact you have a sr556 look at any and all pics of sling setups.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, I'm shorter than you and use a magpul ms3 sling and the barrel of my rifle is about a foot off the ground, maybe a little less. It's a 16" barrel and my slings connected to the lower reciever (sig m400) right by the end plate

ETA: is your sling connected to the stock?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
what is a vtac?  I am totally new to the AR platform.  I know I like neoprene for my other weapons used for hunting and I may return the 1 point for one of them. I am just looking for those opinions from those with much more experience in the AR platform than me.  Thanks for you input any anyone else who contributes :)

Photos help me a ton with visuals so I can see how something may hang in the real world.

If I had to decide right now  I would trade it in. But I am looking for opinions from those with more experience than me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Single points will whack you in the nut's constantly...

http://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-combat-applications-sling/

Look here and find the best.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Where the hell to and why?  I see where now
but why don't you all just leave stuff where folks post it.
No one comes to these other areas and then we get no responses. It sucks.

Go find something better to do with you time then playing condo commando.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Notice how I have not got another comment.

JERK.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like, should chill out, man.

Welcome to the site.
First things first. At AR15.com, you are not judged by the color of your skin. You are judged by the thickness of it. Ease back and have some bacon. Things move slow here.

Second
  Single point slings, in general, suck. I've nosed a rifle into the ground more than once with a single point sling while trying to carry a person or other large item. Pretty much any three point sling, once adjusted for comfort, does everything I want from a one point without all of the hassle. I really like this one.

Most one point slings are connected at the buttstock to a shoulder loop on your tactical vest or backpack. If you aren't carrying either one of those you could get a one point sling with a giant loop like this one or this one(my choice if I were to use a one point).

I've subscribed this thread in case you have any further questions.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top