Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2012 9:38:28 AM EDT
Looking to buy a quadrail for my Windham SRC and am just trying to find something not overly expensive since im in school and dont have a lot of time to play with it just yet.

I have heard bad and good things about UTG and TBT.

If there are any other brands that arent in the expensive category im all ears.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as UTG, they are probably the best budget grade out there and are made in the US.  I have been using the quad hand guard on my 3gun rifle (carbine) for 4-5yrs now.  It has held up great, still tight, and I would buy it again.

You can step up to YHM for about 2x the price which isnt bad deal either.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If you dont want to spend upwards of 70 bucks+ (or however much UTG sells their rails for) then I would recommend them. They carry out the same job. Now, if you want something lighter and stronger, save a few extra bucks and check out Midwest Industries or Troy Industries. They make some superb quad rails and are very light and incredibly strong. Some are not very pricey, while other models can cost you more.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one on my RRA and it is extremely solid.  However it is heavier than I want and may replace it soon for that reason.   It again for the price it is solidly built.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking to buy a quadrail for my Windham SRC and am just trying to find something not overly expensive since im in school and dont have a lot of time to play with it just yet.

What is your budget and what accessories are you planning on mounting on the quad rail?

You might be better off with a Magpul MOE handguard and some bolt on rail sections. Much lighter and much cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put a UTG Model 4/15 CAR Length Symmetrical Split Slim-Rail (pt# MTU001S) on my Stag Model 1 AR15.  It works great.  I have a front handle grip on the bottom of it and it's rock solid.

NYH.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
UTG is the best.

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

UTG is the best.  

Lets not get carried away.
OP, UTG has two lines.  One is manufactured in the U.S. and costs more but is generally reviewed as being fairly solid.  The other is Chinese aluminum crap.  As another poster said, Yankee Hill Machine makes a very high quality rail that is similar in price to the UTG U.S. made rail.  Also, as another poster said, the Magpul MOE line might be something worth considering.

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
UTG is the best.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
UTG is the best.  

ETA: Forget it, I'm not getting into this.  OP, I would recommend a MOE with the rails you need added after the fact.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
UTG is dogshit.  Save up your money and buy a quality rail syatem.  Knights, Daniel Defense, Troy, etc.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Midwest Industries has a great 2 piece drop-in that will give you a continuous top rail while still using the default delta ring.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=64

$124.95 for carbine length seems like a great deal.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Midwest Industries has a great 2 piece drop-in that will give you a continuous top rail while still using the default delta ring.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=64

That is a good deal, and it's a very good rail.
But UTG isn't a bad rail for the price.
Granted, it's not in the same class as the real rail systems, but that's not their target group.
I have two beater guns here that are used mostly for familiarization and training, and general blasting, that have UTG rails on them.
They've seen their share of tough handling and have held up fine for a long time.
I wouldn't consider them for serious use, but just for plinking and range use, they'll be fine.
I actually picked up a couple UTG rails on the EE for friends that wanted them after using mine, and they seem to be happy with them.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is what I recommend to people on a budget and want new. They are the best bang for the buck by far. KAC RAS if you are okay with used as they can be had for the same price.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#15]
OP let me save you some time and money because we've all been where you are right now.  You know that UTG is "budget" so you're already setting yourself up for disappointment if you get it.  It will hold you over for a while but eventually its going to bug the shit out of you enough that you ditch it and save up for a quality (expensive) rail.  Just be patient, save your pennies, and then buy what you really want whether it be Troy, MI, Daniel Defense, Knights, Larue, etc.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've had this on my rifle for 2 years. It's rock solid.

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked  up a nice Troy Carbine Battle Rail on fleabay for $90.

I was lucky enough to get one that was even marked with Colt Defense on it for my 6920.  

Apparently, it was a take off from a special Colt run that had these rails on it.

Deals are out there.  Just have to look a little and be patient.  

That said, I had a UTG on my DPMS AP4 I had and it was just as solid as other rails I had seen.  These are designed to drop into the delta ring and front site base cap, then there are screws at both ends that tightens up the rails.  I am not sure where these would fail at.  The milling cuts seemed to spec for any rail parts I attached.  It did not have any play/wiggle in it whatsoever.

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not trying to be a dick here, OP, but seriously, why do you need a quad-rail? If you don't have time or money for a good rail, you won't have time or money for the ammunition to shoot through your AR, or the training to learn what you want and don't want, or the time to actually run the gun.

Seriously, put the part catalog down and at the very least, find a local shooting match using ARs. Run your gun through one of their stages a time or two then add something that will make your stock gun run better. If that is a VFG/AFG then look at a modular rail that will let you put stuff where you need it. Ideally, you should take a class or two from someone who knows what they are doing. Run your completely stock rifle, then decide based on trying other rifles there exactly what makes your life easier and what doesn't.

Basically, there are only a few things a rifle "needs" once you know it is reliable. Lots of Ammo, Lots of Magazines (I love Pmags), a good Sling, and a robust sighting system (Aimpoint is the shit, but irons work well until you save up for one) and possibly a light if you intend on using it for serious use (Surefire only in this department- do not cheap out on your light). Those are "Must haves". Then you have the "nice to haves" or things that make the gun fit you better. This includes pistol grips, stocks, vfg/afg, ambi-controls, etc. Lastly, there are the "look cools". Think about all the "cool guy" stuff that you want to make your rifle look better by having attached to it. "Surprise Cock Fag" Ejection port covers, "Smile and wait for Flash" engravings on your muzzle device, etc.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I ended up going with magpul stuff actually, it does what I want it to do and doesnt look to bad. Got it for fairly cheap out at one of the local indoor ranges here so I even saved on a potential shipping cost.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Amontgomery nailed it.

Figure why you need, before what you need.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I just made a post on my new hand guard that I got off amazon for about $50. It is made here and is mil spec grade stuff. Fit my rifle good and I will just have to see how it holds up over time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I just made a post on my new hand guard that I got off amazon for about $50. It is made here and is mil spec grade stuff. Fit my rifle good and I will just have to see how it holds up over time.

What exactly is "mil spec grade stuff"?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A standard of the United States in which products meet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

A standard of the United States in which products meet.

That is quite possibly one of the most atrociously constructed sentences I have ever seen posted here, and on ARFCOM, that's saying something...

I'm not even sure whether to agree or disagree because I haven't the faintest idea what that even means...  based on your previous comment, though, I'm pretty sure I disagree.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I was just trying to post about something and listed off some things about it. I am new to the AR world and was not trying to cause anything negative or have anything be disagreed with. I enjoy reading this forum and am here to learn and talk about AR related things. If I happened to say the wrong thing please excuse me. Also kinda confused with this anyways.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
UTG is the best.  

ETA: Forget it, I'm not getting into this.  OP, I would recommend a MOE with the rails you need added after the fact.

+1
Love my MOE with an MVG on it. The only reason I would go quad-rail over MOE is if I was free-floating it. I have what I want on it, where I want it, and the rest of the hand-guard is slick, comfy and light-weight.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was just trying to post about something and listed off some things about it. I am new to the AR world and was not trying to cause anything negative or have anything be disagreed with. I enjoy reading this forum and am here to learn and talk about AR related things. If I happened to say the wrong thing please excuse me. Also kinda confused with this anyways.

Didn't mean to scare you.  

However -

Point 1)

Effective communication is important, since we are not in a room where we can see and hear each other, it is critical that we convey everything we wish to convey almost exclusively through the use of the written word.  This is different than being a grammar nazi - the occasional spelling error, mis-conjugation, or grammatical flub is one thing - personally, I found your last post that I responded to extremely difficult to comprehend because of your syntax and sentance construction.  Internet forums are a textual media, and therefore it's important that you take the time to write comprehensibly, if not strictly correctly.  And, not for nothing - but yes, in any kind of environment, your ability to communicate, whether it's true or not, influences others' perceptions of your intelligence, education, and therefore influences whether they care to take what you have to say seriously or not.  Again, I know this is not necessarily true - and I've met a lot of smart people who couldn't write worth a damn - but when your writing is all we have to go on, it's an important factor in our perceptions.  

Point 2)

"milspec" is a marketing buzzword that gets thrown around a lot, and exceedingly few people actually understand what it means.  For starters, there are not just Military Specifications, or MIL-SPECs, but also Military Standards, or MIL-STDs.  Also relevant to the AR15 and M16 Family of Weapons (FOW) is the Technical Data Package, or TDP, which many confuse with "milspecs."  There is a great deal written on this site as well as the rest of the internet about all three of these things, so I will not belabor the issue by trying to summarize them here, however, for an example of how these things influence choice in selecting an AR type weapon:

The grade of barrel steel and testing and compliance procedures for the M16FOW are governed by a MIL-SPEC.

The dimensions of the "Picatinny" accessory rail system are governed by MIL-STD-1913.

The proper dimensions for the M4/M16/AR15 magwell are governed by Colt's proprietary TDP.  

Read up on some of these things, and you will see why your statement "UTG makes milspec grade stuff" is nonsensical, and drew so much ire.  

Also, don't worry about us, sometimes many of us, myself included, can be a bit harsh, and it could be said that we have a tendency to "eat our young."  Not that I think ARFCOM's particularly bad about compared to some other internet forums, but it still happens.  

Like I said, read up on and absorb as much as you can, and you will need to have a thick skin, but there's a lot of good information and good people here.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#28]
OP save your money, you don't need rails.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

BOTACH had a rail for $30.00 that didnt look to bad, not sure if it will fit you rifle. May be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

UTG is the best.  

+1

Love my MOE with an MVG on it. The only reason I would go quad-rail over MOE is if I was free-floating it. I have what I want on it, where I want it, and the rest of the hand-guard is slick, comfy and light-weight.

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x449/Raven4031/Gear%20and%20Shooting%20Stuff/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMTMwLTAwMDI3LmpwZw.jpg

Just for the record...

I wasn't the least bit serious when I said UTG is the best. I wouldn't use UTG, not even the USA made rails.

Many get all twisted when I post my real opinion of UTG so I thought I would go with the opposite for a change since at the time we had a few threads boasting of their high quality. Sarcasm...

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I think this one is over
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top