Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2012 7:11:47 PM EDT
Swapped out the buffer tube and stock on my mutt this evening. i must've dropped that little metal retainer bit about 10 times trying to get it installed.

One would think that a company with as much innovation as Magpul they would have thought about that.

great system - works awesome with my MS3, but what a pain in the ass to install!.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I use angled forceps.  Works great.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Everytime I went to tighten mine down, it would twist a little bit too far and my stock would end up at an angle instead of straight. Pissed me off!
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
i had needle nose pliers, but i got so frustrated regardless. it was such a tight fit. and i agree with the shifting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah if only the buffer tube had a few more threads to back off the castle nut some more. Had to use tweezers for mine, dropped in straight after the twentieth attempt or so
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that is a pain. I love Magpul stuff but a couple things they do perplex me. The other one is them continuing to use that f***ed up locktite crap on their cheap grip screws that is now standard install procedure to remove or better yet toss the cheap screw with too shallow slot and replace with hex. At best, without removing or heating up that weird cement it makes screw install a bitch. At worst it damages threads in lower receiver. They have had to hear the TONS of complaints yet still continue put that stuff on.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah, that is a pain. I love Magpul stuff but a couple things they do perplex me. The other one is them continuing to use that f***ed up locktite crap on their cheap grip screws that is now standard install procedure to remove or better yet toss the cheap screw with too shallow slot and replace with hex. At best, without removing or heating up that weird cement it makes screw install a bitch. At worst it damages threads in lower receiver. They have had to hear the TONS of complaints yet still continue put that stuff on.

Does it really damage the lower receiver threads? I had a helluva time trying to screw mine in at first, so I did some Googling and learned that taking a wire brush and scrubbing some of the excess goop off works, and it did.
As for the ASAP install, I didn't have much problem using needle nose pliers to drop the little rectangular key in. My biggest problem with the ASAP was having to specially order a two prong castle nut wrench to torque it on properly.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I always wondered why instead of a tooth it had a slot.  Glad I got a IKH end plate, no hassles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:16:29 AM EDT
[#9]
same issue here, I must have dropped that piece a dozen times.....very frustrating.  I'd add that due to the design, I could only get partial torque on the retaining ring because of the wrench hitting it
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I had to use tweezers myself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
same issue here, I must have dropped that piece a dozen times.....very frustrating.  I'd add that due to the design, I could only get partial torque on the retaining ring because of the wrench hitting it

i had to go under and over and on the side with my armorers tool to get it tight. was not easy at all.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always wondered why instead of a tooth it had a slot.  Glad I got a IKH end plate, no hassles.

The reason I presume is for one product that can be used on both rifles and pistol builds.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a toothpick with a glob of grease on the end.  The little bugger will stick to it and you can maneuver it into it's slot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason I presume is for one product that can be used on both rifles and pistol builds.

No, for different diameter REs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same here. I just don't understand the additional cost and hassle to achieve the same end result.
IKH-SLAP all the way.
Simple, affordable, effective.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, for different diameter REs.

Without the pin at all it can be used on a pistol RE without having to grind the tooth down.

I was a big fan of the IKH SLAP, had one on my middy and got another one for my pistol build. I ground down the tooth but for some reason the plate was about 1mm too thin to work with the RRA pistol extension. I went with a Magpul ASAP on the pistol build instead and then decided to get another one to replace the SLAP on my carbine just to make them the same.

I like either one but I think the IKH has a rougher finish quality. It would be nice if the corners were rounded. In the end I prefer the Magpul ASAP because it offers a slightly better finish and more flexibility with different types of builds.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 2:32:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
......I think the IKH has a rougher finish quality. It would be nice if the corners were rounded......

I agree completely. They can be a bit on the sharp side.
I'd like to see them rounded off before finishing.
I have actually filed the lower edge off of a couple of mine.
I still prefer them though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 2:53:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Been there - done that; my gunsmithing kit has angled forceps, so i only dropped it like 3 times.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep...took me about 20 minutes to install mine and once assembled, about 5 to take it out!

I will never buy a Magpul ASAP again. I offered it to a friend here in CT for $10.00. If he ever decides pays me for it & pick it up,  I will be buying the GG&G Side Sling Adaptor that I used to have on my other preban rifle. I love Magpul products and their marketing but this ASAP is just not for me.

The welded rings on those Magpul ASAP interfere with the stocks when collapsed and I don't like that either.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The welded rings on those Magpul ASAP interfere with the stocks when collapsed and I don't like that either.

The IKH SLAP loop interfered with my ACS stock as well...

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah.  I've installed three of them.  Luck seemed to be the only thing that worked every time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Swapped out the buffer tube and stock on my mutt this evening. i must've dropped that little metal retainer bit about 10 times trying to get it installed.

One would think that a company with as much innovation as Magpul they would have thought about that.

great system - works awesome with my MS3, but what a pain in the ass to install!.

I know exactly what you're talking about when i did my first lower build.  It was a pain in the arse and i screwed up my spring doing it.  I wish magpul would just make 2 different parts, Commercial and Mil-spec version, with an explanation on their website showing you how to identify your tube.  

This led me to do the set screw mod to the rear takedown pin.  Luckily my New Frontier Armory G15 lowers already had pre-threaded takedown pin holes.  All i had to do was buy the set screws which now holds the spring in place instead of the rear plate, which would make the ASAP place a breeze to install, however, i went with different sling plates because i'm worried of losing the little square nub in the future.  

Maybe this thread can be a little feedback for magpul.  Customers don't Like the NUB!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#24]
My local ar shop (not ffl just toys and smithing) does free install on any item purchased...So, that is where I go, I pay about 15% more but I get to shoot the shit and watch them work and browse the latest addons.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Just installed mine today and it took about five minutes, I laid the locking pin on the ASAP and used a pick to move it into place. Hope this helps others.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I never really had a problem with installing mine, but I have possible way peeps can install this with fewer problem. Before dropping the ASAP down, lay the nub in the groove of the buffer tube and then lower the ASAP down onto the nub. In theory I think that would work, but never tried it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#27]
The PTS model of the ASAP has the regular protrusion.  Why Magpul did this when every other end plate/sling adapter on the market doesn't use this silliness is beyond me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The PTS model of the ASAP has the regular protrusion.  Why Magpul did this when every other end plate/sling adapter on the market doesn't use this silliness is beyond me.

How does the install work with the PTS ASAP if it has the nub sticking up into the buffer tube threads?

The anti-rotation tabs on the sides of the ASAP prevent the receiver extension from being screwed on if the nub is interfacing with the threads.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
The way I have found the easiest to install the ASAP is once you have the ASAP on, point the gun muzzle down and press down on the ASAP and slide the locking tab in. Then just tighten down the castle nut and your done!!!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How does the install work with the PTS ASAP if it has the nub sticking up into the buffer tube threads?

The anti-rotation tabs on the sides of the ASAP prevent the receiver extension from being screwed on if the nub is interfacing with the threads.

I'm guessing the same as a regular end plate....I can't see where it would be any different.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing the same as a regular end plate....I can't see where it would be any different.

The ASAP has protrusions on each side that grasp the lower. So you couldn't turn the tube with the ASAP attached if it had a tab.   I imagine it is both an aesthetic design and useful.  It gives them a place to stamp their logo. Also, if your nut comes loose for some weird reason, you run less chance of ruining something before you notice it, since it won't be putting stress on the buffer tube threads.

You know how you hate it when your nut comes loose.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The ASAP has protrusions on each side that grasp the lower. So you couldn't turn the tube with the ASAP attached if it had a tab.   I imagine it is both an aesthetic design and useful.  It gives them a place to stamp their logo. Also, if your nut comes loose for some weird reason, you run less chance of ruining something before you notice it, since it won't be putting stress on the buffer tube threads.

You know how you hate it when your nut comes loose.

Yeah, I just thought there was enough room to back the castle nut all the way back out of the way to thread the extension in, but since I don't have an ASAP here that's mere speculation on my part.
And yeah, we like to keep the nuts properly torqued around here.   .
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top