Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2011 5:53:08 AM EDT
Basic question, is the CTR stock worth the extra cost over the MOE stock.

Working on my first build and I'm trying to limit cost where possible, but also don't want to end up buying a part twice because I was being too cheap.

Thanks for comments and advise

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
To me, yes, it is worth the extra cost.  I like the QD socket and the lock up...YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a MOE on my SBR and did not like the wiggle it had. Replaced it with a CTR and the CTR locks up tight as a drum. That alone was worth the change to me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
To me, yes, it is worth the extra cost.  I like the QD socket and the lock up...YMMV.

Same here; though I got rid of mine in favor of an ACS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
You have to decide if the friction lock and QD socket is worth the extra cost..
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You have to decide if the friction lock and QD socket is worth the extra cost..

This^

I have both, and there's not a huge difference for me, however I like the QD swivel.

My new personal rule is:
If the rifle I have comes with a MOE I'll add the mount-n-slot QD attachment for $30. However, If I'm building a rifle or replacing a stock, I'll get a CTR.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's a budget build, get the MOE. There's really no need to get the CTR if you have no plans of using the QD  socket. If you new to AR's you likely wouldn't even know how to use that anyway.  The lock up is fine with the MOE.  It's not like it's going to rattle off on you. The CTR just places more pressure on the tube using another pressure lock to ensure zero movement. The MOE moves very little on my 3 AR's.  The MOE isn't going to break either. There's no functional or strength difference between the 2 stocks.

You paying for those 2 features over the MOE. That's it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#7]
CTR is much better locked up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Just put a $7 QD swivel on the MOE.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If it's a budget build, get the MOE. There's really no need to get the CTR if you have no plans of using the QD  socket. If you new to AR's you likely wouldn't even know how to use that anyway.  The lock up is fine with the MOE.  It's not like it's going to rattle off on you. The CTR just places more pressure on the tube using another pressure lock to ensure zero movement. The MOE moves very little on my 3 AR's.  The MOE isn't going to break either. There's no functional or strength difference between the 2 stocks.

You paying for those 2 features over the MOE. That's it.

Technically there are functional differences. QD sling point and friction lock are functions. However, it's up to you to decide if those functions are enough to justify the cash. CTRs have gotten popular for people building lightweight precision builds and .308 ARs as the friction lock can help in that role. Plus there are accessories for adding a riser and monopod, so the friction lock CTR does have its uses.

Quoted:
Just put a $7 QD swivel on the MOE.

Where can I find $7 QD swivels? How hard are they to install on the MOE?
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The QD is for a sling right.  As a civilian I'd most likely only use a sling if I were taking a training course right?

I'm really not new to the AR platform, but I'm new to being interested, learning, and actually using. So I guess really I am new.  

I'm thinking the QD is probably not that important, but I don't want any more rattle than necessary.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The QD is for a sling right.  As a civilian I'd most likely only use a sling if I were taking a training course right?

I'm really not new to the AR platform, but I'm new to being interested, learning, and actually using. So I guess really I am new.  

I'm thinking the QD is probably not that important, but I don't want any more rattle than necessary.

A sling is a good thing to have for hunting, carbine courses, HD, anytime you need to carry your weapon, shooting from an unstable positions...

It's a great thing for HD, It allows you to better manipulate a weapon with one hand (opening doors) and is needed for weapon retention.

The QD swivels are great if you want to move a sling between guns easily. I also find them useful for storage as I don't have a bunch of slings tangled in my safe and I can remove them for packing in a case. I think QD swivels are very versatile and mine don't rattle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A sling to a rifle is like a holster to a handgun.

+1.

I had a CTR on my previous build but went with the MOE on this one.  I went with a Noveske QD end plate instead, since I put a IWC 2-1 triglide on my VTAC sling so I can go from a 2-point to a 1-point sling.  

Friction lock wasn't real important to me on this rifle either.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
To me, no, the ctr is not worth it.  You will NEVER notice the slight play if you actually run the gun, not just fondle it and post pictures of it on the internet.

The only instance where I could see it possibly mattering would be on a precision gun where you needed to have a perfect cheek weld for each shot, but even then, it would be a nearly negligible difference.  Of course if I were building a precision gun, neither of those would be on my list.

Eta, the qd socket Isn't a factor for me, I prefer the end plate sling attachments.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I did exactly what you don't want to do. Bought the MOE and a few weeks later swapped it for a CTR. I don't use the QD socket. For me the better lockup and just higher quality overall feel of the CTR is well worth it. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#16]
A little ingenuity with a forstner bit and a drill press:

Plus an ebay search: (yea, it says airsoft, but I have a few of these and they're as much steel as anything else - and they work)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160456575126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Viola!
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#17]
^ And You can achieve the tight lockup with a small piece of tape on top of your buffer tube which makes your stock harder to move but locks it up tight at any position.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]

My CTR mil-spec size stock with optional enhanced 0.70" thick rubber butt-pad

My MOE stock mil-spec size

I have both and like what the other members said if you like the QD sling mount and the friction lock to eliminate stock movement the CTR is recommended, if you don't use the QD sling mount and could tolerate a little stock movement plus save a little coin then the MOE would be a good choice.

In my own case I use my MOE stock with my receiver end plate mounted single point sling so I didn't need the QD sling mount, also my stock fits snug with virtually no movement on my BCM buffer tube.

I've got two BCM mil-spec size buffer tube and all my mil-spec size stocks fits snug on them, the BCM tube have a slightly bigger outer diameter than the other brands of tubes (YMMV).

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/stock%20hardware%20kit.htm

Link Posted: 8/29/2011 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Say hello to the new Rogers M4 collapsing stock.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/08/24/rogers-super-stoc-ar-15-stock-review/
It is reported here that Colt will be using this stock as standard issue on all new M4 carbines beginning soon.

Me, I like the CTR, have them on all my collapser stocked rifles.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the UBR which is expensive, but you'll end up upgrading anyway after a while, you should just spend your money once on our AR
I bought mine from here.

http://www.tactical-arms.com/search.php?search_query=stock&x=0&y=0
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have the UBR which is expensive, but you'll end up upgrading anyway after a while, you should just spend your money once on our AR
I bought mine from here.

http://www.tactical-arms.com/search.php?search_query=stock&x=0&y=0

The UBR is awesome in terms of percision shooting and durability.  I like mine.  It also balances out the muzzle heavyness of my LMT MRP.    However, if you are looking for a lightweight carbine build, the UBR isn't the answer.   I think it weighs over a pound.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
However, if you are looking for a lightweight carbine build, the UBR isn't the answer. I think it weighs over a pound.
It weighs a heck of a lot more than pound. It's 1.63 lbs to be exact.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#23]
If it's a budget build, I'd skip the MOE and pick up a standard m4 style stock someone replaced with a magpul and is selling on the EE cheap. Otherwise, the lock on the CTR is worth the additional $$ imo... I really like mine.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top