Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2010 2:23:11 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago I took the side sling swivel off of one of my Colts to install a LaRue
rail.  You know-it mounts to the barrel right under the FSB.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to put it back on.  
Now I have decided to put it back on but can't  remember which way it goes.  One way the swivel goes
all the way to the side the other way the swivel stops at about 45 degrees.  Can some one look at one and tell me?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My LE 6920 has it on the left side of the barrel, and it folds towards the handguards, not towards the end of the barrel.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My LE 6920 has it on the left side of the barrel, and it folds towards the handguards, not towards the end of the barrel.

Danny

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Might I be so bold as to inquire why, after going through the trouble to free-float your barrel that you're re-installing the barrel mounted sling swivel?  

Granted, it's your rifle and you're certainly entitled to install whatever you please on it, however I would venture that re-installing the barrel mounted sling swivel would fit the conventional wisdom of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater."

The primary purpose of the free float rail is to segregate the barrel from outside factors like sling tension to allow increased accuracy, and while you won't be hurting anything reinstalling the sling loop, the LaRue rail also comes with perfectly serviceable QD sockets on the handguard as well.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Might I be so bold as to inquire why, after going through the trouble to free-float your barrel that you're re-installing the barrel mounted sling swivel?  

Granted, it's your rifle and you're certainly entitled to install whatever you please on it, however I would venture that re-installing the barrel mounted sling swivel would fit the conventional wisdom of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater."

The primary purpose of the free float rail is to segregate the barrel from outside factors like sling tension to allow increased accuracy, and while you won't be hurting anything reinstalling the sling loop, the LaRue rail also comes with perfectly serviceable QD sockets on the handguard as well.

~Augee

Same thought...

If you want your sling more forward you could always attach a QD socket or loop of some kind on your rail instead of the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I still have the side sling mount on mine after I free floated the barrel.

Why?

I use a convertible 1 to 2 point sling, when I'm shooting it's in the single point config.
If I want to go to 2 pt mode to carry without the carbine banging around I use the side mount.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top