Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2009 12:14:25 PM EDT
What is the favored tactical sling and mount for a first time carbine course? Looking for recommendations.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Most people like a single point, some the 2 point. It's a personal preference. There are some slings that can quick convert between the two, those are pretty slick.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Most people like a single point, some the 2 point. It's a personal preference. There are some slings that can quick convert between the two, those are pretty slick.

Can you provide a few examples?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Vickers 2 point vcas
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Single point sling is the way to go for a tactical rifle situation.

heres some pics of dudes using single point sling.

http://www.blackfootstudios.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3491
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The new Magpul MS2 sling does this. They're about $50 if you find them right.  I thought Vickers made a convertible too, but cannot find it. I kinda rather have the Vickers if I could find it, if that's the make. I keep checking Bravo Company.

Magpul also makes the rear PTS Endplate. These are nice when you're practicing transition drills in a carbine course because the sling attachment will move from one side of the rifle to the other. Otherwise your sling can potentially bind up when changing shooting shoulders.

I hate to sound like a Magpul commercial, but I do like there stuff. It seems pretty well thought out and is priced right if you don't pay a scalper to get the newest item. I use a lot of their stuff but not everything on my rifle is Magpul.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
go about half way down

check out the gear sector rig they suggest on there, best of both worlds, plus they're a good company.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Viking makes a nice 2-point

Magpul MS2 is a convertible 1- or 2-point, and is worth a look.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Boonie Packer makes nice slings.  Single, 2 point and 3 point slings.  They are all under 20 dollars as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anybody make a nice convertible between single and two point that is padded?  After hanging a rifle for a day or so it starts diggin in a little.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Boonie Packer makes nice slings.  Single, 2 point and 3 point slings.  They are all under 20 dollars as well.

^ This. They're stout as goat's breath and still cheap.

I also have a Spec-Ops and it's great, but it cost more than the Booney and isn't any better IMO.

One-point slings are a PITA when you lean over or squat or have to climb a fence or something. A nice two-point with the cinching feature to pull it in tight is the answer. Vickers, Spec-Ops, BP and others have this feature, and I'd be sure to check them out.

(Should this thread be in the Slings forum? Oh, well. )

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have tried a bunch of different slings and my favorite is a two-point.  I prefer the LaRue sling over other two-points that I have tried.  LaRue 2-point padded sling.  Keep in mind that this slings comes with two QD swivels.  

For the most part I think that single-point slings suck.  The rifle just hangs there and bounces around.  The only one I have tried that I like is the Magpul MS2 sling, and I only use it with a very light carbine.  I would not use it with anything more than a light M4-Gery.

Other good sling options are the Viking Tactics sling here, which is basically the same sling as the LaRue without the QD swivels.  Also the Blue force gear/Vickers slings, here.  

Just my .02

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#12]
CQD also makes a convertible sling. Bravo Company has these as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Im far right, picture from Magpul Dynamic Carbine 1

Gear sector single point, with the QD end for my VLTOR AK stock.

I run Noveske end plates on my AR's so the sling works for them as well.  I purchased an MS2 while at the course, and it works great with the noveske end plate and a bare QD swivel.

For the AR, I highly recommend the noveske end plate+ a gear sector single point with QD end, OR an MS2 with a bare QD swivel.

The other two guys rocking the single points in that pic are running MS2's, and they worked great.  Just make sure you follow the directions for them so it doesn't come apart on you

Oh, if you do run a single point and are taking a 3 day course, it would be wise to bring something to put between your neck and the sling.  After three days of having it on for almost 8 hours a day...they DO start to become a little uncomfortable.  Either that or a nice underarmour polo or two would help as well.

Single points are the KING for classes like this, especially if your instructor is going to have you shooting from the reaction side.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Blackhawk Storm single point sling.  I like the bungee
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9540/p7130203.jpg

Im far right, picture from Magpul Dynamic Carbine 1

Gear sector single point, with the QD end for my VLTOR AK stock.

I run Noveske end plates on my AR's so the sling works for them as well.  I purchased an MS2 while at the course, and it works great with the noveske end plate and a bare QD swivel.

For the AR, I highly recommend the noveske end plate+ a gear sector single point with QD end, OR an MS2 with a bare QD swivel.

The other two guys rocking the single points in that pic are running MS2's, and they worked great.  Just make sure you follow the directions for them so it doesn't come apart on you

Oh, if you do run a single point and are taking a 3 day course, it would be wise to bring something to put between your neck and the sling.  After three days of having it on for almost 8 hours a day...they DO start to become a little uncomfortable.  Either that or a nice underarmour polo or two would help as well.

Single points are the KING for classes like this, especially if your instructor is going to have you shooting from the reaction side.

That looks like a helluva good time.

I agree completely with your comment on single point slings for courses like this. That's why I like the idea of a convertible because you're not ALWAYS running the course.

Do you mind if I ask how long the course was(guessing 3 days) and how much coin?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Magpul also makes the rear PTS Endplate.

MAGPUL makes the ASAP plate for real guns. PTS is their airsoft department.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Magpul also makes the rear PTS Endplate.

MAGPUL makes the ASAP plate for real guns. PTS is their airsoft department.

ooops. My bad. Thanks for catching that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer the two point setup. I like the option to cinch the sling up against the body when using a pistol. After a weekend of my rifle banging me in the balls I decicded the single point option wasn't for me. I really like the Viking Tactics VTAC .
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top