Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2009 9:42:51 AM EDT
I'm trying to decide which i want. if you have a gun with either of these on it, please post it so i can have a good look at them on actual guns.

Also if you have an opinion on which is better, i'd like to hear it.

The two that i'm choosing from are listed below. These are the only two i'm interested in unless you have an option under $80

UTG
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-2-Piece-System-Length-Rifles/dp/B001WIUPJ0/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1245001154&sr=1-40

Caa
http://www.amazon.com/Command-Accessories-Carbine-Length-XM177E2/dp/B001F6C4K2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1245001268&sr=1-10

It will be going on an M4 carbine.

Thanks
chris
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#1]
First.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
first? where's the pic! LOL
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I like where this is going.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]

or

your choice!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
IN!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It will be going on an M4 carbine.

Thanks
chris

An M4 carbine? As in the US military rifle? As in to be used on a military rifle in combat?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is my UTG rail.  It want on really easy (taking old hand guards off was not).

With the UTG rail covers on:

With ladder style rail covers (crappy pic):
:
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Crap and crap

I could buy a Surefire G2L and mount it to any AR for under $100
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
These are the only two i'm interested in unless you have an option under $80

Magpul MOE handguards and a Falcon Ergo rail section. In and out for under 50 bucks, and much better solution.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]
87GN, in what way are they crappy? Have you owned/used them both? What makes them crap?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
87GN, in what way are they crappy? Have you owned/used them both? What makes them crap?

I have used CAA products (only ones sold at the Camp Fallujah PX, and before I knew anything about this stuff), and they broke.

I have examined and used, but not owned, UTG products, and find them to be markedly inferior to any US made rail I have examined.

They are poorly designed, made of unspecified materials, not properly finished, are not consistently within Mil Std 1913, and so on.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm so in on this one!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
okay, first what's with the "i'm in" stuff? Not particularly helpful.

second, i am not a big fan of the magpul. i want something with integral rails, not to mention the fact that i don't like how it looks.

Anyone else have pics of their CAA or UTG?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#14]
UTG's are big, heavy, and ugly. CAA, aren't their rails plastic?

Spend the extra 10 bucks and get a YHM rail. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=142581
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#15]
To the OP, you've probably figured out by now that majority of ARFcomers have a stigma against CAA and UTG products. If you don't own Larue or Magpul accessories, you're not with the "cool cats". CAA and UTG users might chime in anytime soon to back you up. My advice is: buy what you like and you shouldn't care what others think since they're not the ones paying your bills. But something to think about, "Buy quality, cry once. Buy cheap, cry twice".
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
UTG's are big, heavy, and ugly. CAA, aren't their rails plastic?

Spend the extra 10 bucks and get a YHM rail. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=142581

This is the correct answer.

Or, look for a used YHM or MI rail.

If you're just looking to mount a flashlight, consider an Elzetta mount.

Don't take the ribbing from the others too personally.  You identified your rifle as an M4.  It might bear a resemblance to an M4, but I'd bet it's not.  Is it a Colt-made, USGI M4?  If not, then it's not an M4.  You then asked about rails from two companies with somewhat questionable pedigrees.  As mentioned, UTG rails are heavy and occasionally out of spec.  The "I'm in!" comments were from guys who wanted to watch the flames you'd be receiving for such a post.    

Welcome to Arfcom, enjoy your stay.  

ETA: Magpul and LaRue get the praise they do because they produce high-quality products and deliver those products with some of the best customer service in the industry.  Their wares are well-made and well-designed and are designed to function in harsh environments, especially environments harsher than a gun club's 50yd shooting bench.  Of course, not everyone needs such durability, but it's frustrating to buy, for example, an Aimpoint mount for $20 that won't hold zero and strips out when you could have spent $115 in the first place on a mount that will make it to hell and back, and, if you do break it, the manufacturer will replace it with a nod and a smile.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To the OP, you've probably figured out by now that majority of ARFcomers have a stigma against CAA and UTG products. If you don't own Larue or Magpul accessories, you're not with the "cool cats". CAA and UTG users might chime in anytime soon to back you up. My advice is: buy what you like and you shouldn't care what others think since they're not the ones paying your bills. But something to think about, "Buy quality, cry once. Buy cheap, cry twice".

It has nothing to do with being a "cool cat," I don't want to spend my hard earned money on shit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, I have owned a UTG rail before, while I don't think I have any pics of them on the rifle I had at the time as my HD crashed a couple months ago. I do have a little insight being someone who actually has used the product. If all you are wanting to do is to mount a light and a fore grip, it will most likely do what you are wanting it to do. Although it is heavy. Mine seemed to be in spec, though I never checked it with a mic. It locked up solid, held firm, and stayed where it was supposed to. The CAA will probably work just as well for the above described scenario at a fraction of the weight. I have since sold the UTG rail and the rifle I had it on. I now use a YHM rail on my current carbine rifle.If it is a gun that you will be carrying it as some form of duty weapon, then I would definitely buy something better.

There are options that are better for not a whole lot more money, such as the YHM rail someone else pointed out. If these rails are within your budget and will fit your needs, then don't listen to what the others are saying. Some people have nothing better to do than run around and say "in on 1" and instigate crap rather than just passing a thread by when they have no insight for the poster. They also just do it to get their post counts up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#19]
To the OP...

Is your rifle "M4" a Hesse/Blackthorn/Vulcan?

If so then the UTG would be fine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To the OP...

Is your rifle "M4" a Hesse/Blackthorn/Vulcan?

If so then the UTG would be fine.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't take the ribbing from the others too personally.  You identified your rifle as an M4.  It might bear a resemblance to an M4, but I'd bet it's not.  Is it a Colt-made, USGI M4?  If not, then it's not an M4.  

Maybe the OP has one of these? <shrugs>

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't take the ribbing from the others too personally.  You identified your rifle as an M4.  It might bear a resemblance to an M4, but I'd bet it's not.  Is it a Colt-made, USGI M4?  If not, then it's not an M4.  

Maybe the OP has one of these? <shrugs>
http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/M4_Lower_small.JPG

Colt's marketing department needs to pull its head out of its ass.  Colt M4
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#23]
okay people take your trash talking elsewhere... i don't give a damn whether you think my gun is an "M4" or not, and i don't want your dumbass flaming on my thread. I made a legitimate request for pictures, and (other than a few helpful people) all i've gotten was bullshit from a bunch of bored fanboy flamers.

If you have no INFORMATION to convey, then shut your mouth, close this thread, and move on...

to the rest of you, thank you for your help, and keep the info coming.

chris
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
IBTL!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Heh, I think you're preaching to the choir brother

Colt themselves have referred to the Match target M4 as the "MT M4", or the "Title I M4"-so I can see where there could be some confusion with the RO977, or DoD M4.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
okay people take your trash talking elsewhere... i don't give a damn whether you think my gun is an "M4" or not, and i don't want your dumbass flaming on my thread. I made a legitimate request for pictures, and (other than a few helpful people) all i've gotten was bullshit from a bunch of bored fanboy flamers.

If you have no INFORMATION to convey, then shut your mouth, close this thread, and move on...

chris

Ok tough guy,

Stop being so lazy and have a look at one of many picture threads around here.

Here's a M4 picture thread with 51 pages so far.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=382565

The only problem will be finding someone to admit they have a UTG on their rifle. You know what they look like so go have a look.

Signed,
Bored Fanboy

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

chris

Here is your information.  The two choices specified are the two poorest choices for a rail system avalable today.  YHM makes a rail that is pretty inexpensive and is better than both the others you are looking at.  Personally the only rails I would consider are Troy, KAC, Larue and Daniel Defense but that is personal preference.

What is your reason for the rail system in the first place?  Mounting a flashlight or a VFG?  If you are only planning on mounting a light then there are much better choices without the weight of a rail.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#28]
actually my budget is very small, and the UTG rail is the only one i can really afford. I already HAVE the CAA one, but i don't really like it's aesthetics. I like the way the UTG one looks, so i'm considering replacing the CAA one.

I want a quad rail so that i can mount several things. A light, a Vertical handle, an IR illuminator, a Bipod. This is my hog hunting gun, so it needs to have a pretty wide array of accessories on it. Not to mention the fact that i really don't like the way that the standard forearm looks, and i think the quad rails look REALLY cool LOL
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
actually my budget is very small, and the UTG rail is the only one i can really afford. I already HAVE the CAA one, but i don't really like it's aesthetics. I like the way the UTG one looks, so i'm considering replacing the CAA one.

I want a quad rail so that i can mount several things. A light, a Vertical handle, an IR illuminator, a Bipod. This is my hog hunting gun, so it needs to have a pretty wide array of accessories on it. Not to mention the fact that i really don't like the way that the standard forearm looks, and i think the quad rails look REALLY cool LOL

This is the main problem with certain acessories.  Appearance of a product shouldn't be the first priority.  If the CAA is functional for you then I would use it for now and save up to buy a Quality rail system.  Form follows function with quality rails.  Not only do they tend to look better then the cheap ones but they tend to be stronger, lighter, and in spec.  The brands I outline in my last post are the ones to shoot for.  Save your money.  Buy right, buy once.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you're going for looks, then I really can't help you.

IR illuminator? Do you have night vision? Why not get an IR filter for your white light? That'll save you some weight.

Also, are white lights and NV legal for hunting in your state? They aren't legal here.

You don't really need a wide array of accessories, you've just convinced yourself that they are necessary. My hunting AR has only a flashlight (yes, I know, not legal).
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#31]
in Texas, it is legal to use ANY means and any weapon to kill hogs. NV is legal. I am getting a NV scope for my AR as we speak. I hadn't considered an IR filter, but will that filter out as much VISIBLE light as a true IR illuminator?

I'm sure i don't NEED a lot of stuff on my gun, but i want it. Lightening it up by getting rid of the IR illuminator would be nice assuming it doesn't compromise seeing with my scope
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh, I think you're preaching to the choir brother

Colt themselves have referred to the Match target M4 as the "MT M4", or the "Title I M4"-so I can see where there could be some confusion with the RO977, or DoD M4.

No worries, bro.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
in Texas, it is legal to use ANY means and any weapon to kill hogs. NV is legal. I am getting a NV scope for my AR as we speak. I hadn't considered an IR filter, but will that filter out as much VISIBLE light as a true IR illuminator?

I'm sure i don't NEED a lot of stuff on my gun, but i want it. Lightening it up by getting rid of the IR illuminator would be nice assuming it doesn't compromise seeing with my scope

How much are you spending on the NV? What brand/model? What IR illuminators are you looking at?

Here's a good demonstration of the IR filter.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=surefire%20IR%20filter&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iv#
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#34]
i'm looking for a budget scope... under 400 if possible. I don't need anything past 75 yards. Just looking for something functional.. gen 1 is fine.

i'm probably going with an ATG Aries 350.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i'm looking for a budget scope... under 400 if possible. I don't need anything past 75 yards. Just looking for something functional.. gen 1 is fine.

vortex strikefire  $150 its alot like an aim point, it has worked pretty good for me so far

ETA:  Vortex Optics is also an industry partner here on arfcom.  They have their own section here on arfcom
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

vortex strikefire  $150 its alot like an aim point, it has worked pretty good for me so far

ETA:  Vortex Optics is also an industry partner here on arfcom.  They have their own section here on arfcom

thanks for the suggestion, but i'm looking for night vision optics.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top