Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:38:46 PM EDT
Has anyone tried these. Are they worth a hoot. I know you get what you pay for. That being said,,,,I'm not wanting to pay much at all. I figure I can buy one of these and try it,,,if it's total junk, I can take it back. I'm just wanting something dirt cheap for now. Hell,,I'll probly never use it. If this one is junk, I'll probly do with out. What say you all.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to know as well. I'm sure that it will serve its purpose on my 5 year old daughters Pink Crickett, but it would still be nice to get a review from someone before I get it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought I read awhile back that it was a knock off of a Harris. But I don't know nothin about nothin.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
There are several threads on the Walimart knock-offs.... but I will make it simple for you. They are great for the money! Sorry, I know this will piss off alot of Harris guys..........

The company is Shooters Ridge......they have a .com

My local gunshop carries both Harris & Shooters Ridge. I had both in my hands & I studied both of them. The SR are a 100% copy. Really good job, everything seems the same. No way I could tell they difference if they were out of their packages.

I bought a 6-9" non-pivot for $37.00+ $10.95 for thier Bi-pod Picatinny rail adapter (which seems to be a knock-off of the Yankee Hill adapter!!). IS it as good as the Harris? Probably not, but in no way junk.

Simple: If your a trained Sniper, get a BiPod way better than either of these two.......... if your going to use it like me: Display stand/Work stand during it's off-hours and the occasional use on the field...... then the SR is a great bargain IMHO.

Link Posted: 3/31/2009 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are going to use the bipid  then get the Harris.  If not then get the knock off.  The knock offs cannot stand up to the daily use.  People have been there and tried
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe an OEM Shooters Ridge Harris clone is what Ruger is shipping with their Charger 10/22 pistols.

I have the one that came on mine, and having owned Harris bipods in the past to compare, I'd say it was about 75-85% of the quality. It didn't adjust or lock up at various leg hights as a Harris quite as nicely, but for range/plinking use I'd say it's perfectly adequate. However, I would not take one to a high end gun school, or into harms way overseas though. But to be fair, with the exposed mechanisims screws latches and and springs etc. I might not take a Harris there either, and use something more robust and with less springs and snaggy parts like the GG&G extreme duty bipod.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 1:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one and...hell it works for my 5.56

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/D_CRISIS/DSCN1087.jpg
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have found nothing wrong with it in the two years I've been using mine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I put the thing on there. It won't stay tight. Should it need to be tightned with plier's. I hate to do that. But if I must.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got the 6-9" version of the same brand. Been great.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#10]

I made a $30 mistake and bought this UTG P.O.S. In hindsight, of course I should have went with a Harris for $70, even the "shootersridge" seems like a good option to save $.
Whatever you do- DO NOT BUY UTG, I knew this already and should have trusted my first hesitation, but I let my guard down......let's just say, LESSON LEARNED.

And no, it is not still mounted, it is as far as can be from my rifle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Had one on a Rem 700. Good gear for the price, did what I asked it to. Keep your paws clear when spring retracting the legs, it eats fingers. Or slide them in slowly, under hand control.

Replaced it with a Harris.

The Harris is sturdier, not a ton, but enough to feel the improvement. Since the purpose of a bipod is to steady the rifle for precise shots, its an important improvement. I'm keeping the lesser unit for a spare, but in the future, I'd spend the extra money and get the more stable platform.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one on my AR...it works....my buddy got one for his 7mm RemMag...also works...
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keep your paws clear when spring retracting the legs, it eats fingers.

Yep. My son (who's 26 btw) learned that lesson for me. He's got a nice blood blister.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. My son learned that lesson for me. He's got a nice blood blister.

Too bad your son had to learn the hard way. Hope he's ok, and ok with guns now.

Something you might look at is a Grippod. I bought two, and liked them well enough to buy two more. It's a vertical foregrip, with a spring loaded bipod inside.

It deploys with one finger, faster than I can drop to prone.

Not as steady as a Harris, bigger than a normal foregrip, but the combination is good enough for DoD to order about a quarter million of them, and I can see why.

All my ARs except for a DCM competition model and an AR-10 type have them now.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 5:05:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. My son learned that lesson for me. He's got a nice blood blister.

Too bad your son had to learn the hard way. Hope he's ok, and ok with guns now.

Something you might look at is a Grippod. I bought two, and liked them well enough to buy two more. It's a vertical foregrip, with a spring loaded bipod inside.

It deploys with one finger, faster than I can drop to prone.

Not as steady as a Harris, bigger than a normal foregrip, but the combination is good enough for DoD to order about a quarter million of them, and I can see why.

All my ARs except for a DCM competition model and an AR-10 type have them now.

My son is still ok with gun's. He's 26 year's old,,,lol.   Infact, he's the one that got me into AR's. I guess I should go back and edit my post so people don't think I was letting a small child play with a gun.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#16]
The Harris is a high quality, highly original design produced here in West KY by a small family run company that has been in business for decades. They give a great deal back to their community and to our military's snipers. If you have any questions about their products you can pick up the phone and call their owner. He's a nice old guy and a vet who will be happy to answer any questions you have or just talk about shooting.

Or, if you want to save $20 you can run down to WalMart or Bass Pro and buy a cheap knock off made in China.

The choice is yours.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Harris is a high quality, highly original design produced here in West KY by a small family run company that has been in business for decades. They give a great deal back to their community and to our military's snipers. If you have any questions about their products you can pick up the phone and call their owner. He's a nice old guy and a vet who will be happy to answer any questions you have or just talk about shooting.

Or, if you want to save $20 you can run down to WalMart or Bass Pro and buy a cheap knock off made in China.

The choice is yours.

+1   I have had my Harris for 15+ years... That's less than $1 a year..... Seems like good people with a genuine idea. That's worth $1 a year.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got one last night. The build quality on it is *ok*. it is a tad bit flimsier than the Harris which it is a copy of, but it seems to be sturdy enough for a budget bipod.

the locks on the leg extensions are spring loaded, and seem to be where the biggest failure point is going to be on this bipod (even if this does fail, you still have the 6" unextended).

The tightening nut for attaching it to the swivel mount seems to come loose somewhat, but without it coming all the way out you run little risk of it falling off, a bit of thread lock should solve this problem.

For ~40$US it is worth the money and will definetly hold you over until you can afford a better bipod.

My rating for this bipod:
Price 4/5
Sturdiness 3/5
Materials 3/5
Craftsmanship 3/5
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got a Caldwell  bipod 6" to 9" its been great so far.  Seems like is well made.  I got it on sale from midway here is the link retail is $50 its on sale for $40 its backordered now but if u order now u can get the sale price when it comes in stock. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=617813  
They also have cheaper ones that don't pivot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Harris all the way but make sure you get the one with the notches in the legs.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top