Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/14/2008 7:16:18 PM EDT
I have a Magpul CTR on a commercial buffer tube (Bushmaster).  Does anyone else have problems with movement?  I find that it has the same amount of play when the friction lock is or isn't engaged.  I don't know if I am just being anal or not but when I first purchased it there was 0 movement and now, around 500 rds later, it is starting to develop some play.

P.S. Does anyone know of any tricks to stop the movement?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
All my CTR stocks move a little on the buffer tubes. Mine are all commercial stocks on various six position tubes. They are tighter than M4 stocks but still move a little.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Sadly, it is more likely an issue with your receiver extension (tube) than it is the CTR. I have found that commercial tubes have such a range of dimensions that even with the friction lock you are rolling the dice. Some will lock up tight, some won't.

Magpul has to make the commercial CTR stocks large enough to handle the largest extensions. So if you have one of the smaller commercial extensions, the lock up will suffer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
The commercial extensions have various diamters... not held to a tight standard.  CTRs must fit them all.  I have never seen a commercial CTR that didnt wobble... making the friction lock useless.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All my CTR stocks move a little on the buffer tubes. Mine are all commercial stocks on various six position tubes. They are tighter than M4 stocks but still move a little.

+1
The CTR on my Bushmaster has some slight play but nothing like the OEM stock that was originally mounted.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a CTR on a commercial tube and there was some wobble even with the friction lock on. In fact the tube was too long that it did not have a '0' position.

That bugged the hell out of me so I got the commercial tube replaced with a mil-spec LMT tube.  Obviously a corresponding new CTR went along with it.  

After that - no wobble and solid as a rock.  NO MOVEMENT!

I thought that people were drinking the CTR Kool-Aid with the commercial stock but once I have the mil CTR stock on, I am a CTR evangelist!  

Get it!  Now to try the MOE stock!
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#7]
For anyone that is interested, look at the last post.  I plan on trying this when I get home to see if it tightens it back up.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=165429
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For anyone that is interested, look at the last post.  I plan on trying this when I get home to see if it tightens it back up.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=165429

Quoted:
I fixed mine-  

tale off stock
1. push out take down pin- remove friction lock

2. pull out plunder pin from Friction lock, ("space ship" looking pin)

3 remove metal clamp

3 skweeze clamp together (a VERY little not a lot)-i used vice grips.  

This was in the magpul thread with pics this summer, but I couldn't finD it today, Mine is super tight now...

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top