Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2007 8:12:10 AM EDT
I like to have ammo on my shotgun (for obvious reasons) but never thought of putting the mag holder deal on the side of my butt stock.

do you like this set up? is it convenient? pros and cons?

like this
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I used the SPEC OPs M16 model when I was in Iraq. It worked great. I highly recommend it. I put it through hell and it held up completely. No fraying, no stitching coming un-done. It was 100% solid for 17 months.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I used the SPEC OPs M16 model when I was in Iraq. It worked great. I highly recommend it. I put it through hell and it held up completely. No fraying, no stitching coming un-done. It was 100% solid for 17 months.

Im glad the product it self kicked ass, but did you like having a mag mounted on your gun?

I understand that in some circumstances in the sand box you have to have a weapon and a mag, but cant load the mag in the weapon, hence the development of the on gun mag holders (or so I think.) and I just heard this, so if it was different in your unit, Im sorry.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they are annoying and gay.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

any particular reason for either of those things?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got one on my carbine and just like my shotty all you need to grab is the weapon , there is always ammo with the weapon....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen them all over the desert. The regular army doesn't keep mags in their rifles (inside the wire), so they keep them on the rifle in case the DEFAC or the PX gets overrun. CAA made a plastic one that fits onto a rail. They have a few differnet models. I haven't tried any of them though. Probably work looking at though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I used on daily for about eight months.  I like the idea of having extra ammo with the gun, but in practice it didn't really fan out.

I am a right handed shooter.  Transitioning over to the left shoulder was a bit of a problem with the cheek weld and positioning, and worse when wearing a gas mask.  

If you run the carbine stock all the way in or any varient thereof- the mag pouch gets in the way of the charging handle.  Heck of a way to clear a malfunction by running the stock all of the way out and then clearing it.  

Never really noticed a balance concern.  Again, I like the idea, just not the execution.  I think spare mags need to kept near the magwell, ala a Redi Mag or coupler.  Reloading off of the stock is slower, too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now that was a well thought out, constructive reply that really added quality information the discussion.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Work great on fixed stock rifles.  

SHITTY on collapsible stock models.  

Fixed stock rifles keep the magazine sitting fairly far back, in the same place, out of the way.  

I don't object to the idea of having a magazine on the weapon at all, for many situations, it works out pretty well.  The concept is not the problem.  

The problem with almost every model I've seen when mounted on a collapsible stock is that it interferes with the charging handle and the adjustment latch.  If your rifle is always fully extended, it may not be so much of a problem, otherwise, if you want it collapsed at any point in time, or to be able to adjust it freely, it simply doesn't work very well in practice.  

I've seen several soldiers have FTFs while using a side stock pouch, when they yank the charging handle, and it hangs up on the straps, and the effect is the same as riding the charging handle.  It simply does not have the force to go into battery.  This of course, coupled with poorly trained immediate action drills causes double feeds, and all other manner of problem, eliminating all of the advantage that having a magazine with the rifle in the first place had.  

In practical use, I simply find that they are not worth the potential problems they cause.  They look cool and all, and it's nice to have a magazine every time you pick up the weapon, but there are too many ways for it to go wrong on a collapsible stock carbine.

Of course, like I said, it's very different on a fixed stock rifle, and when I build my A2/A4/SDM-R (haven't decided which yet!  ) clone, I will probably use one.

~Augee

ETA: A lot of soldiers now put their magazine pouches around the handguards, CAA does make a product, as well as that nifty IDF mag holder, but PX's don't carry those, so soldiers generally don't worry about them.  

Honestly, more than anything else, I simply don't have room on my handguards for a magazine, my sling runs along one side, a VFG on the bottom rail, and a light on the 3 O'clock, topped off with a PEQ2 doesn't leave much room for a magazine.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Personally I don't care for them.If it works for you then go for it.You can never have too much ammo.I keep a couple of these nearby.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#12]
so do you guys ever reload from them or do you just keep them the JIC?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#13]
damn doubletap
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that was a well thought out, constructive reply that really added quality information the discussion.

He wanted to know our thoughts. I gave him my thoughts. Your only addition to the discussion was...this comment, which had nothing to do with the OP's request.

In order to get the mag out of the pouch you either have to play twister with yourself or take the weapon out of your shoulder. I never saw a single Marine carry a mag like that outside the wire. They were only useful for when you were on base and were required to carry one loaded magazine when going to the chow hall, etc. I never used one because I never had a loaded mag on me inside the wire.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've seen them all over the desert. The regular army doesn't keep mags in their rifles (inside the wire), so they keep them on the rifle in case the DEFAC or the PX gets overrun. CAA made a plastic one that fits onto a rail. They have a few differnet models. I haven't tried any of them though. Probably work looking at though.

They look just like any other "something else that could get in the way during a fight" doo-dad.

They're there because they are required to have a magazine on them whenever inside the wire.  Most everybody I ran into had their mag in their weak-side back pocket.

The mere fact that I've never seen anybody use a magazine drawn from one of these things tells me what they're used for.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top