Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2007 9:54:40 AM EDT
I've been thinking about ways to attach a single-point sling to a Cavalry Arms Mk II lower.  Below are some of the ideas I'm kicking around.  I'd like to hear from members who have done this. (BTW - I'm not concerned about potential warranty issues.)

In no particular order?

1.  Use an eye bolt through the rear take-down pin hole.  This is a cheesey solution.  The eye of the bolt would be too close to the safety and there would be a bolt on the other side.  I'm only listing it because it's obvious.

2.  Use an eye-strap or pad-eye (folding or fixed).  This may be a good solution.  The problem is how to attache the eye-strap or pad-eye to the stock.  Several options come to mind:

A.  KISS - Use Epoxy and short wood screws.  I'm a little concerned about the strength of this solution.  Screws extending into the storage area could also damage any contents.  However, there is an area immediately in front of the storage area where this might work.

B.  Use a bolt or bolts with washer(s) and nut(s) inside the storage compartment.  This would be a minor challenge but is definitely doable.  You'd want to use Loctite, lock washers and/or lock nuts to be sure the eye-strap or eye-pad to which your sling was attached did not come off at an inopportune moment.

C.  Use a rivet-nut or rivet-nuts.  Then you could just use a machine screw and Loctite.  I have had problems with rivet-nuts in the past and don't like to use them if I can avoid it.

D.  Use a Chicago screw or Chicago screws and Loctite.  Holding the half of the Chicago screw inside the storage area while you tightened the other half would be a minor challenge, but would be doable.

E.  (Only because it's obvious) A bolt or bolts all the way through the stock.  I don't like this option.  Among other things, it would make twice as many holes, leave exposed fasteners on the opposite side of the stock, and the sides of the stock would not be perpendicular to the axis of the bolt(s).

3.  A variation of option 2, above.  Use a very short section of webbing with a gromet and a Fastex buckle to the stock.  A screw or bolt extending through the gromet would attach the short section of webbing to the stock.  The Fastex buckle would attach the short piece of webbing to the sling.  Most, if not all, of the attachment options above would apply.

4.  KISS - A.  Drill a hole through the stock into the front of the storage compartment just large enough for a doubled piece of 550 cord to fit through.  B.  Double a short piece of 550 cord and knot the ends together.  C.  Fish the un-knotted end through the hole.  D.  Clip the sling to the un-knotted end of the 550 cord on the outside of the stock/receiver.

You'd probably want to chamfer the outside edge of the hole and use a washer to reinforce the inside of the hole.  You might want to tie another knot on the outside of the stock to keep the 550 cord from slipping back inside the storage area when the sling is not in use.  I like this idea best.  It is simple and 550 cord and washers are cheap and easy to replace.  The only permanent modification of the stock/lower would be one small hole.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait wait wait, before you permanently modify your lower receiver; check this out: www.gearsector.com/?page=shop/browse&category=adapters_stockstubs

They make very nice slings.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Wait wait wait, before you permanently modify your lower receiver; check this out: www.gearsector.com/?page=shop/browse&category=adapters_stockstubs

www.gearsector.com/img/product/9fcebe169a45720aa039e367128b11d8.jpg

They make very nice slings.

Thanks.  I thought of that, but it doesn't look like the charging handle will clear it.  The CH passes very close to the top of the stock on my Mk II lower.  It's worth a try, I guess.  I could always return it if it didn't work.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll save you the suspense... It won't work, or at least it didn't work on mine. Neither does the Tango down QD for fixed stocks.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll save you the suspense... It won't work, or at least it didn't work on mine. Neither does the Tango down QD for fixed stocks.

Good luck

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have you contacted the guys from Cav Arms to see if they have any input?  They might already have something setup.

Sound advice, as usual, Stick.  Thanks.

We'll see what, if anything, Cav Arms says.  If they don't have a better idea, I'm leaning toward the following:

STEP ONE:  Drill a hole just large enough for a doubled piece of 550 cord into the very front of the storage compartment, and bevel the outside edge with a countersink.

STEP TWO:  Fish a piece of monofilament through the hole and out the rear end of the storage compartment.

STEP THREE:  Make a short loop out of 550 cord.  Cut a length of 550 cord and fuse both ends with heat.  Fold the 550 cord in half and knot the fused ends together.  Slide a washer over the end of the loop and down against the knot.

STEP FOUR:  Tie the monofilimant from step two to the top of the loop.

STEP FIVE:  Pull the loop through the hole, and pull the knot and washer tight against the inside surface of the storage compartment wall.  If the hole is sized right, it should fit snugly, with minimal risk of falling out.

I like this idea.  It's simple, and should be strong.  I don't mind drilling one small hole, since I can get a new receiver from Cav Arms for $30 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes a slot can be milled into the receiver:
static.flickr.com/108/307937862_00b5c8eb07_o.jpg

Whoa!  That was fast!  Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top