Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2007 4:23:19 PM EDT
I.  INTRODUCTION:
A.  This is a review of the Bi-Pods that I have or had in the past.
1.  Harris 6-9” BRM-S.
2.  Versa-Pod Model 51 7-9”.
3.  Tangodown ACB-4 9-11.5”.
4.  Grip-Pod.

II:  BI-PODS:
A.  Harris 6-9” BRM-S.
1.  Pro’s:
a.  Very stable.
b.  Ideal height for shooting off the bench and in the prone.
c.  Cants and has spring-loaded legs.
d.  Good price.
e.  Good weight.
f.  Deploys fast.
g.  Multiple mounting options.  Can be mounted to just about any weapon.

2.  Con’s:
a.  Does not traverse.

3.  Conclusion.
a.  What all other Bi-Pods are measured by.

B.  Versa-Pod Model 51 7-9”.
1.  Pro’s:
a.  Ideal height for shooting off the bench and in the prone.
b.  Cants, traverses, and has spring-loaded legs.
c.  Good price.
d.  Good weight.
e.  Deploys faster than the Harris.
f.  Multiple mounting options.  Can be mounted to just about any weapon.
g.  Can be mounted using the Versa-Pod VFG.

2.  Con’s:
a.  Not as stable as the Harris.

3.  Conclusion:
a.  Best used on Precision type of weapons.

C.  Tangodown ACB-4 9-11.5”.
1.  Pro’s:
a.  Very stable.
b.  Lighter than the Harris and Versa-Pod.
c.  Cants and Traverses.
d.  Silent leg deployment.
e.  Built-in mount.

2.  Con’s:
a.  Expensive.
b.  Too tall for shooting off the bench.
c.  Due to the way it is stored, a VFG is pretty much a must have.
d.  Limits the way you can mount a weapon light.  Requires the cord remote switch.
e.  Can only be mounted to a weapon with Picatinny Rails.

3.  Conclusion:
a.  Best used on Combat type AR’s.

D.  Grip-Pod.
1.  Pro’s:
a.  Lighter than the Harris, Versa-Pod, and Tangodown.
b.  Fastest to deploy the legs.
c.  Doubles as a VFG.
d.  Very rugged.
e.  Built in mount.

2.  Con’s:
a.  Not as stable as the Harris, Versa-Pod, and Tangodown.
b.  Too tall for shooting off the bench.
c.  Since it is also a VFG, it is hard to find the proper spot on the rail for it.  If you have it too far forward, it won’t be very effective as a VFG.  If too far back, it won’t be too effective as a Bi-Pod.
d.  Does not Cant, Traverse, or adjust for height.
e.  Can only be mounted to a weapon with Picatinny Rails.

3..  Conclusion:
a.  The ideal Bi-Pod for a Combat type AR, Patrol AR, 3-Gun AR, and Hunting applications where a light weight Bi-Pod is preferred.

III:  CONCLUSION:  (In order of preference.).
A.  Best for Precision Weapons:
1.  Harris.
2.  Versa-Pod.
3.  Tangodown.
4.  Grip-Pod.

B.  Best for Combat Weapons:
1.  Grip-Pod.
2.  Tangodown.
3.  Harris.
4.  Versa-Pod.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Paul you wrote a good review of the bipods .But I would like to shine some light on some of the facts. First you said the grip pod was not as strong as the other bipods you mentioned not true as the U S Army tested them  and put them all through very rigorous tests for example dropping a fully loaded m16 onto concrete with optics and 30 full magazine from 5 ft with all bipods deployed. From what I was told Only the 7oz grip pod won that and many other tests with out a failure and most other bipods were in many pieces and failed .Further more I know of no other bipod that you mentioned that a 250 lb man can stand up on top of his m16 with the bipod deployed. Also the Patented grip pod is adopted in large scale adoption by the U S Army and is currently also adopted by the U S Marine Corps and have been use in Iraq and Afhghanastan with great feed back from the soldiers fighting on the ground We are very happy to supply our fighting men and we strive to please them .Also you may not be aware but the patented grip pod has traverse built into it and allows a shooter at 100 yds to traverse 35 yards left and 35 yds right of coarse at 200 you double that..  Hope this helps guys JRM GPS
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Paul you wrote a good review of the bipods .But I would like to shine some light on some of the facts. First you said the grip pod was not as strong as the other bipods you mentioned not true as the U S Army tested them  and put them all through very rigorous tests for example dropping a fully loaded m16 onto concrete with optics and 30 full magazine from 5 ft with all bipods deployed. From what I was told Only the 7oz grip pod won that and many other tests with out a failure and most other bipods were in many pieces and failed .Further more I know of no other bipod that you mentioned that a 250 lb man can stand up on top of his m16 with the bipod deployed. Also the Patented grip pod is adopted in large scale adoption by the U S Army and is currently also adopted by the U S Marine Corps and have been use in Iraq and Afhghanastan with great feed back from the soldiers fighting on the ground We are very happy to supply our fighting men and we strive to please them .Also you may not be aware but the patented grip pod has traverse built into it and allows a shooter at 100 yds to traverse 35 yards left and 35 yds right of coarse at 200 you double that..  Hope this helps guys JRM GPS

Actually I wrote that the Grip-Pod is very rugged.  I did not mention anywhere that it was not as strong as the others.  Also, for a Combat type AR and Patrol AR I ranked it #1, which it is what it was designed for.  For what you designed the Grip-Pod for, it is by far the best.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Paul again I commend you on your review of bipods But I think you wrote under grip pod pro and con section that the grip pod was not as sturdy as the other three bipods you mentioned although the other three bipods weigh two to four times heavier than the grip pod. The 7 ounce grip pod is far more durable and stronger than the other bipods you mentioned in your article .Again I dont believe you can stand a 250 lb man on a M16 with the bipod deployed on any other bipod that I know of But you can on a Patented Grip pod Furthermore The U S Army and U S Marine Corps says that the grip pod is far stronger than the other one s you mentioned after extensive testing they adopted the  grip pod not the other ones.. Also only the grip pod allows a soldier to always keep his right hand on fire control system at all times as he falls into prone and never take his front hand off the verticle forgrip and deploy the bipod instantly in one nineyeth of a second to engage the enemy faster than anything else  
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Paul again I commend you on your review of bipods But I think you wrote under grip pod pro and con section that the grip pod was not as sturdy as the other three bipods you mentioned although the other three bipods weigh two to four times heavier than the grip pod. The 7 ounce grip pod is far more durable and stronger than the other bipods you mentioned in your article .Again I dont believe you can stand a 250 lb man on a M16 with the bipod deployed on any other bipod that I know of But you can on a Patented Grip pod Furthermore The U S Army and U S Marine Corps says that the grip pod is far stronger than the other one s you mentioned after extensive testing they adopted the  grip pod not the other ones.. Also only the grip pod allows a soldier to always keep his right hand on fire control system at all times as he falls into prone and never take his front hand off the verticle foregrip and deploy the bipod instantly in one nineyeth of a second to engage the enemy faster than anything else  

I can't argue with any of your points.  I'll change the wording of "Sturdy" to "Stable" since it is the better word.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I am trying to get some advantages/disadvantages to having a spring loaded legs vs. ones with lock screws.  Any advice?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am trying to get some advantages/disadvantages to having a spring loaded legs vs. ones with lock screws.  Any advice?

The Spring loaded legs deploy alot faster and are much better.  If you get the Harris, I recommend getting the one with the spring loaded legs and cants.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top