Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 7:27:53 PM EDT
I thought of this earlier for those who run Midwest Industry rails.  I currently have the non-free float model so I don't know if they will work with the free float rails.
Since I am using a CAA stock check weld I had no need for the sling mount that was attached to the butstock.  So I removed it.

The MI rails have a front end cap with three cut outs L/R and center.

I then attached the mount to the left side, putting the screw  through from the rear of the cap with a nylon washer behind the screw.

Here is what it looks like from the rear

With the sling attached.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A+ for your creativeness, do you have all of those screws loctited down? I'd be concerned with them working loose due to the additional stress placed on that barrel shroud.
Is the front sling mount solid or does it swivel?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes blue loctite.  No I have mine mounted solid.  Good idea to make it swivel.  another washer behind the mount maybe and back off the screw a few turns then loctite should do it!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Another suggestion, if you are going to make it swivel, you may want to round off the corners of the sling mount that are close to the barrel so it doesn't rub and so you get a good degree of swivel.

Food for thought.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I personally would have flipped it around so it angled towards the rear, but none the less, great idea!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmm...I wonder if it could be mounted to the side rail near the receiver?
A hole would have to be drilled in between a rail slot.  Since the actual loop part angles out, it would angle out away from the rail so a sling could be attached.  

Maybe get a longer screw so you could run a locknut on the outside of mount.  
I just happen to have a spare sling mount too...I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the idea SPD1761!  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I personally would have flipped it around so it angled towards the rear, but none the less, great idea!

Quib, it does look better facing the rear, more "low profile" look.  I'll post pic later.

RRA-A2:  It would work in one of the holes toward the receiver.  The screw head is just a little too small so a washer of some sort is needed.  The only thing is that is would not be able to swivel because the mount actually rests slightly on the picatinny rail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
With it flipped to the rear

You still need to round off the edges to get the full motion of the swivel.
Thanks everyone for all  your input and suggestions
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Great idea, suggestion-drill out he threaded portion of the swivel, use a longer screw and put a bushing in there so the swivel will "swivel" Be sure to use a lock nut on the screw, a capped one would look nice.--that's if you want it to swivel. I would prefer it to be just like you have it-freaking genuis of an idea.

A factory job would include a shoulder on the swivel to mate with the cap cut out to hold it in place. You could probably weld a tab on the swivel and shape it to the cap's dimensions.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top