Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2006 6:08:20 AM EDT
I bought a used MIAD full kit in the EE and when I got it the backstrap that was on it had the roll pin inserted in it. I cannot for the life of me get this thing out. How do I go about getting the roll pin out?

Any tips, ideas, etc. are very welcome!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
A very small roll pin punch will do it. Looks like either a 1/16 or maybe a 3/32 punch will get it out. You can usualy find them at tool stores or some home improvment places like OSH.
You can use a regular punch but they tend to slide off the end of the roll pin.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Roll punches work great on roll pins.  You'll need a hammer or some other means of blunt force to go with it
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Roll punches work great on roll pins.  You'll need a hammer or some other means of blunt force to go with it

Just like smartass responses go with AR15.com, right?  

Yeah, I was just wondering if somebody had a trick or tip to help get it out without a roll punch. I build my lowers without and punches. Just a pair  of channel locks and I use a nail to punch the pins out. I tried a small nail on the MIIAD roll pin with no luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never had a problem removing/installing roll pins with regular punches.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You might try using a drill bit as a punch, or a small screw.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You might try using a drill bit as a punch, or a small screw.

Good call, I havn't tried a small drill bit yet. I'll try that and then I'll go buy a roll punch if I need to.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried a small nail again, only this time with a little more elbow grease and I got it. I was just wary of hitting it too hard before I knew for sure this was the issue. I didn't want to get my new (used) MIAD and then break it before taking it out and shooting!!!

Thanks for the replies!

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top